Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Surf_bum_nz

NZL Ice Blacks make history

Saw NZ play hockey on the TV for the first time and truly awesome to see them make history!

Beating Australia for the first time in twelve attempts at the NZ wintergames

Its a pitty one of the commentators didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

After loosing the first game 8-2 to Australia

NZ managed to comeback and win the second game 5-4

Due to it only being a 2 match test there was a shoot out to decide the victor of the test

NZ won the shootout 2-0

News link 1

News link 2

haka%20aus.jpg

winners%20aus.jpg

I case you all are wondering why this is so big for NZ?

Australia tends to dominate us at most sports other than rugby. :P

It really was bad that nothing was mentioned on the monday news

Hockey needs more promotion in NZ truly a great sport!!

haka is only cool when your team is badass (like the rugby team).

Not so much, when your a bottom level team that keeps loosing. Then it becomes sort of a mockery.

But congratz on the win, I know how much competition there is between Aussies and Kiwis, so that just makes it extra sweet. :)

Not so much, when your a bottom level team that keeps loosing. Then it becomes sort of a mockery.

It's national pride, you don't have to be the best in the world to have that.

haka on ice? awesome !

they are overdoing this haka thing a little imo...but you gotta love the ref in pic 2!

Yeah being a kiwi i have to agree it is more than over done.

When a waterpolo team starts doing it I think that is when we should take a good hard look at ourselves lol

what the HELL is going on in the first picture?

Its a haka :P

what the HELL is going on in the first picture?

The Haka is a traditional Maori war dance. The All Blacks do it before rugby matches. You should look up a few All Blacks vs. Samoa matches, they also do a war dance similiar to the Haka. Then you can debate with friends which side would be more apt to cut your limbs off.

If you wanna see the rugby team do the Haka:

I can't believe that:

A - It is permitted on the ice before a game

B - The other team is forced to stand there while they do it

that is f'in cool. talk about pre game intimidation.

I can't believe that:

i was thinking the same thing on "b"

I can't believe that:

If they did it during their warm-up time, big deal, I could care less. But you're right if it delays the start of the game. Then again, maybe it's a national-anthem kinda thing?

I can't believe that:

If they did it during their warm-up time, big deal, I could care less. But you're right if it delays the start of the game. Then again, maybe it's a national-anthem kinda thing?

It does have national meaning, but it is used in sports for intimidation. It's a war cry.

There is a school in my area that has a high population of Tongans. They did this before football games, but were required to stop by UIL because it was being used strictly as an intimidation technique.

I don't really see the big deal in doing the Haka before the games, it's a Kiwi thing. Also, complaining about the throat cutting gesture in a game known largely for the fist fights that are part of nearly every match seems a little silly to me.

I don't really see the big deal in doing the Haka before the games, it's a Kiwi thing. Also, complaining about the throat cutting gesture in a game known largely for the fist fights that are part of nearly every match seems a little silly to me.

Again, of they want to do it instead of, or before, the warmup that's one thing. Forcing the other team to stand there while they go through a dance routine designed to intimidate, is absurd.

dance routine. love it.

and as for the slicing throat gesture... any ref I know wouldthrow down at least an unsportsmanlike conduct minor for that

Again, of they want to do it instead of, or before, the warmup that's one thing. Forcing the other team to stand there while they go through a dance routine designed to intimidate, is absurd.

On the plus side, it saves the Kiwis some plane ticket money since they don't have to send the dance squad with them. Question, is the entire team Maori because, if not, wouldn't it be similar to the Americans doing a rain dance before the puck drops?

I had no idea the NZ Ice team did this before their games prior to seeing it last year. As far as I'm concerned it's their tradition and would have no issue with it, and the organisers look to feel the same way. It is strange seeing it on ice though!

I had no idea the NZ Ice team did this before their games prior to seeing it last year. As far as I'm concerned it's their tradition and would have no issue with it, and the organisers look to feel the same way. It is strange seeing it on ice though!

It doesn't have the same effect on ice as the rugby version. It would be kind of embarrassing if someone lost an edge and landed on his butt during, too.