Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

That's rough. I've started losing a few of the teachers who were huge influences in my formative years, and it can be profoundly affecting; on top of that, people generally seem to be closer to teachers of creative arts than any other species. One guy in particular is not long for this world, and I'm hoping he'll be healthy long enough to attend to a centenary conference in honour of his own teacher, partly to pay homage to Frye and partly to let him know that he too will be celebrated. Rounding our little lives with sleeps are dreams of which we're composite.

My favorite high school teacher was the English teacher. Great man and I doubt you'd find a single student who didn't like him. He retired and moved to Minnesota where he fought Parkinson's for some time. Each time he and his wife would come back to town he'd stop by work and visit with me. He finally lost his battle years ago and then his wife passed away a year or so ago. They're likely going to be closing down the high school where I went since it's part of our local university and they are forced to make some drastic budget cuts. Every time I drive by there I remember that teacher and how he pushed us all to be better. It sucks the older you get and you begin to see more and more friends pass away. People should remember this and stop the petty bickering and bitching and such and enjoy every precious moment we have to share with others.

Normally don't post in these threads, but I'm extremely saddened and upset today.

Went to bed last night and somehow had a dream about one of my high school teachers. I was fortunate enough to have her as my Creative Writing teacher for two years in a row - junior and senior year (Sr year she was extremely hard on me due to senioritis), and she was special. She inspired me to write; I continued on into college as a mass comm/journalism major along with editorships and all that, and even though I took an unconventional route in the field that definitely couldn't have been forseen back in 1995, I realize that I did achieve that goal. I create content on ModSquadHockey daily.

Regardless, so I wake up and look up her name - yes, most students don't know their high school's teacher's full name - and I find out she had died of ovarian cancer back in 2008. And I don't know why, but I'm losing it right now. :(

Sorry to hear this. I had a college professor pass away who was like that to me. Have you thought about doing anything in her honor for Ovarian Cancer? (a walk or donation or something) Although it wont do anything to get her back, it will hopefully help lead to a cure and the feeling you get when you do something like that is a great one! Thoughts and prayers out to you man!

Tied my best season last week, at 31 pts. Been stoked all week about looking to pick up a point or two tonight on the last night of the regular season. Get to the rink tonight for a must win game, and get asked if I'd be comfortable sitting on d for the night. Can't bring myself to put my points ahead of the team, so I spend the night on d, helping us win the game, with a whopping two shots and no points. I know I did the right thing, but... DAMMIT!!

The Ice rink where I worked in the pro shop let me go today. Budget cuts and adjustments leave me as the odd man out. My boss assures me it is not performance based. Still, its very irritating to be told I no longer have a job from the guy who is personally responsible for each and every financial shortcoming tell me that I don't fit in the budget. Every time I noticed lost revenue, I told him, every time I suggested a change or an improvement, he ignored me and we kept on with crappy business as usual. And now, with the board of directors leaning hard on him, I pay the price. Luckily, I was looking for a job anyway because the rink shuts down every summer and I need a summer job, and luckily there are good prospects (new Dicks Sporting Goods and Belle Tire both opening up this month) but it still sucks that I wont be back in August. It sucks that my employee discount and free ice time is gone, and more importantly it sucks that I don't get paid to spend time in my favorite place with my favorite people anymore. Financially, I can do better, but for a full-time student, a relaxing, stress free job like this was perfect and I am damn sure going to miss it as I reenter the shit covered corporate retail world.

Ahh, sorry to hear that man, I hope everything eventually works out for you! You definitely seem to have the know-how and credentials to back it up. Your manager didn't recognize a true asset when he saw one. However like you said, there will always be opportunities and sometimes you will have to look harder for them. Good luck!

Shipped some gear to a member and decided to use the company Purolator since it is only slightly more than mail with our corporate discount. I made the decision to use Purolator since the guy was in the office making the daily pickup as I was on my way to the post office. Decided to eat the extra $10 or so and save me a trip to the post office. Purolator man was in a rush so he had me sign the waybill and said he would take care of everything else. I told him go cheapest route and told him the weight was around 3lbs. He said he would take care of that.

Just got a bill for $173 for the shipping! Turns out the weight was marked at 11 pounds (for two shin pads) and the guy checked the overnight box. Member on the other end got the pads in record time though. He now has the most expensive pair of used shin pads in history. Not going to trust anyone who says "I'll take care of it" again. :facepalm:

Can't you get a price adjustment based on a misunderstanding?

I'm working on it. Still sounds like a bit of a scam stating the weight at 11 lbs and perhaps thinking the coroporate client won't notice. No way the package weighed over 5 pounds.

Also, apparently you didn't tell him overnight. Isn't there a company policy that requires him to get that and other info from you, rather than taking care of it himself?

4 Stitches in my leg. How you ask?

I blew a tire and went into the boards and somehow managed to have the heel of my right skate blade cut the inner thigh of my left leg. It gets worse, it was on my 3rd shift of the game & there was no one within 20 feet of me.

Shipped some gear to a member and decided to use the company Purolator since it is only slightly more than mail with our corporate discount. I made the decision to use Purolator since the guy was in the office making the daily pickup as I was on my way to the post office. Decided to eat the extra $10 or so and save me a trip to the post office. Purolator man was in a rush so he had me sign the waybill and said he would take care of everything else. I told him go cheapest route and told him the weight was around 3lbs. He said he would take care of that.

Just got a bill for $173 for the shipping! Turns out the weight was marked at 11 pounds (for two shin pads) and the guy checked the overnight box. Member on the other end got the pads in record time though. He now has the most expensive pair of used shin pads in history. Not going to trust anyone who says "I'll take care of it" again. :facepalm:

In the interest of full disclosure and all, Purolator made good on the screwup and is refunding me $135 of the bill. Good on them. Not a vent but wanted to close the loop here else Purolator gets a bad name.

Apply for his job

Ha, funny story. The rumor around the rink is he got the job because he got fired at city hall for embezzling funds. With no hockey background, they pulled strings to get him the director job, apparently because when he went down, someone else skated at City Hall and got him a new job to finish sweeping it under the rug and keep it all quiet. So I'd presume his job is safe.

I hate selling crap online.

Everyone Flakes and shit.

I wish it could be as simple as posting up a listing and someone 5mins later contacts & pays, and BAM .. its done.

But NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOoooOOOoo

Local rink has a good following at a decent time for a monday and sat night dropin. They decide to switch the time without warning and now no one shows up. Frustrating cause i enjoy playing here and they only did this so there would be no "dead ice".

My company is really pissing me off. I'm getting tired of working with people that violate federal regs, supervisors that are abusive and a scheduling department that is vindictive. I'm ready for a change.

Blind-bought a Sullivan TotalOne and the damn thing feels like an intermediate stick at best. I'm a size queen; I need girth. And instead of it being a stiffer flex like I was led to believe, it's a friggin' 82. Last time I buy a stick made for a midget.

I was told he was using 77s, otherwise I would be stocking up on them. Even 82 is pushing it for me. Good to see you around again.

The house looks...weird. Looks busy tho, good to see you guys still holding down the fort.

The stick feels like an 82, but it just feels odd because of its small diameter. Plus it looks like he's added a good amount of curve since the last (XN10s, original Stealths) I've seen of his sticks.