Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Well then, let me just rush right out and buy a brand new BMW or two.. :dry:

DO EEEET! :)

Nah... I'm just saying this is easily the oldest rental car I've ever gotten. Usually they cycle out cars every couple years.

DO EEEET! :)

Nah... I'm just saying this is easily the oldest rental car I've ever gotten. Usually they cycle out cars every couple years.

With the recession, most rental agencies have kept their rental units longer than in the past.

With the recession, most rental agencies have kept their rental units longer than in the past.

Makes sense, I've just been lucky I guess (that, or I just go to the counter if i dont like what they gave me). In this case, I was too tired to bother. It's only for 4 days this time (the last two rentals were for two weeks each - so getting a decent car was important to me).

The funny thing, is they keep trying to give me free upgrades. With rental cars being typically the lowest model, id rather take a small gutless car than a big gutless car. (ie. I'd take a ford fusion over a ford mustang ANY DAY, if it's going to be the lowest-end Mustang). I always have to go in "please give me something smaller!"

Edited by OptimusReim

Rest in peace CCM girdle. You've given me a great 10 year run. I know you didn't fit for the last five and I've been trying to patch you up for the last year but it's time to move on. I'm sorry to see you go but I hope you can appreciate the fact that you were used until you disintegrated to the point where pads fell out while skating. You'll be missed.

• Like 1

Wow, I have never seen an embarrassment to our great game than what I witnessed tonight during ours. You know it's bad when the OTHER TEAM is saying things like "sorry guys, we have no idea either" after the game.

Not going into details - it's done and over-with. I'm just venting.

How do I always get the seat in front of the guy/lady that gets up 20 times and needs to grab the top of my seat every time they do it? Then they need to root through their bag and bump the seat a couple dozen times while trying to find whatever food they brought with them. And that was just while we were boarding the flight. Fortunately, we had a bunch of empty seats and I was asleep as soon as we hit 10k feet and I turned on some music and didn't wake up until we were over the Bahamas.

My mom had a stroke on Sunday. She's in the hospital and, I suppose, doing alright, but it's hard on my dad and he doesn't relay much information.

My mom had a stroke on Sunday. She's in the hospital and, I suppose, doing alright, but it's hard on my dad and he doesn't relay much information.

He's probably overwelmed with a lot of details about what happened. Maybe give him a call or sit down with him and talk about it. Try to open up the lines of communication. Your mom needs you, your father and the rest of your family now to help her through this.

He's probably overwelmed with a lot of details about what happened. Maybe give him a call or sit down with him and talk about it. Try to open up the lines of communication. Your mom needs you, your father and the rest of your family now to help her through this.

I live with my father & mother, actually. He does relay things if I ask, he's just not a talkative person to begin with, and he has a lot on his plate with his job, etc. Fortunately my mom's sister is flying in today, and her other sister might come up at some point as well.

I'm assuming that your mom is still hospitalized at the moment. Talking with your dad is great but spending time at the hospital will help you, as well. The nurses handling your mom can help you to understand what is happening, what to expect, etc.

I'm assuming that your mom is still hospitalized at the moment. Talking with your dad is great but spending time at the hospital will help you, as well. The nurses handling your mom can help you to understand what is happening, what to expect, etc.

If I could, I would visit. Unfortunately, one of us has to stay with our dog, and that's me. It was a similar situation when she broke her hip last summer. She also prefers to see my dad. My understanding is she'll be in the acute care until they determine what caused the stroke, and then she'll be transferred to a rehab hospital.

Find a neighbor or friend to sit with the dog. I hate hospitals and seeing folks in distress as much as anyone but, its your mom, find a way. It will be better for all involved.

Had a work event scheduled thursday in san francisco. Decided to bring my wife with me (she flies free with me) and go a couple days extra. Booked the extra hotel nights, dinner at Oola's (http://www.oola-sf.com/ for anyone interested - amazing food and pretty inexpensive). We even decided to be tourists for a couple days - alcatraz, the aquarium, cable cars, etc. All booked and paid for. Also all non-refundable, including the hotels.

Then I get word LAST NIGHT that the event was cancelled. Oh, great... thanks guys. So now the flights and hotel wont be reimbursed, but I have spent too much non-refundable money to just not go. And it was also too late to change the flights to be paid for with points.

So we just said screw it... we'll just take it as a vacation, then. While it's only $1000 or so out of pocket that work would have been picking up, it still sucks when you're pretty much forced into it.

Oh well, an unplanned mini-vacation is hardly the worst thing to complain about, right? :)

Currently at 36000 feet :)

If I could, I would visit. Unfortunately, one of us has to stay with our dog, and that's me.

No excuses. Like Chippa said, find a way to make it work. This situation is much different than the previous hip one.

No excuses. Like Chippa said, find a way to make it work. This situation is much different than the previous hip one.

Transportation is complicated but I'll see if I can go with my dad tonight. Other things are complicated and, even if I want to see her, she may not want to see me. But we'll see how that goes.

Good luck. Hope all works out for your Mom, Dad, and you.

My dad acquiesced to taking me with him for a visit this afternoon. She's doing about as I expected, though if there's a rehab bed available they may spring her as early as tomorrow, since they've done all their evals. Good deal, I suppose.

Speaking as someone whose own mother went through strokes, familiarity is a very good thing. With the confusion and other issues that can come with strokes, seeing familiar faces can help put the patient's mind a little more at ease.

Speaking as someone whose own mother went through strokes, familiarity is a very good thing. With the confusion and other issues that can come with strokes, seeing familiar faces can help put the patient's mind a little more at ease.

My mom isn't as frail as "stroke" would imply - she's certainly coherent and cognizant of what's going on around her, cracking wise, etc. Having seen her yesterday, she seems to be doing pretty well.

My Father's heart cath procedure didn't go very well earlier in the week. Triple bypass surgery scheduled for 730am tomorrow.

Edited by Race4LastPlace

My Father's heart cath procedure didn't go very well earlier in the week. Triple bypass surgery scheduled for 730am tomorrow.

Sorry to hear - best wishes, hope everything goes ok.

That sucks. At least those are fairly routine these days!

Broken plane, not going to get home today. Hard to complain about an extra day in Aruba though. Beautiful sunset earlier and 82 degrees right now.

Glad they caught it. Those procedures are fairly routine these days. At least it sounds like his cath lab experience went better than mine. Catheter turned a 99% blocked artery into 100%, heart stopped, got the paddles and a brand new shiny stent on the spot.

Broken plane, not going to get home today. Hard to complain about an extra day in Aruba though. Beautiful sunset earlier and 82 degrees right now.

How tragic, hope you make it through this ordeal unscathed...