Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Woke up to no power which means no A/C or fans. Okay, they had to make repairs to a power line and the temp was still bearable. About an hour later the power came back on. So then I came home to no A/C. Called maintenance and they promised that somebody would get back to me within a couple of hours since they considered it an emergency call. I called at 6pm. It's now 10pm and no call. 85 degrees in here. At least I can run some fans to try to make it easier on my dog.

Connecticut/New York refs

Everyone blames the officials for everything. Doesn't matter the area code. Problem with that is that the people who assessing that blame probably haven't worn the stripes before. When you finally do, you understand why officials always 'suck.'

Everyone blames the officials for everything. Doesn't matter the area code. Problem with that is that the people who assessing that blame probably haven't worn the stripes before. When you finally do, you understand why officials always 'suck.'

There were a number of guys in my officials seminar that were required to attend by their team so they can understand the other side. Brilliant idea, imo.

They don't always suck but there are plenty out there that do. I've worn the stripes and I'll cut guys working to be in position and focused on the game a lot more slack than the guy who calls a goal from the blueline or offsides from the goal line.

There were a number of guys in my officials seminar that were required to attend by their team so they can understand the other side. Brilliant idea, imo.

That is a step in the right direction.

They don't always suck but there are plenty out there that do. I've worn the stripes and I'll cut guys working to be in position and focused on the game a lot more slack than the guy who calls a goal from the blueline or offsides from the goal line.

I agree with you. That falls on the assignor(s) though. But as you know, politics always bares its ugly head in these situations. All I know is that people who aren't educated just blame the officials. How about teaching the players/coaches what they did wrong? Crazy ain't it? It's rare to see coaches and/or players focus on that. It ruins the learning experience that the youth level SHOULD have.

• Like 1

local rink starts an all ages draft league. I do the draft skate and today go to pay my fee, and told it is now a 35+ league. So tired of this joke of a rink.. always something funny or shady going on.

I'm not blaming them for anything besides allowing the other teams to hit us in the head every single hit, and then call us for all the little stuff that's questionable, a lot of the calls that were against us, the other team did the same thing and they didn't call it. Lots of boardings that weren't called, one of the boardings that was called wasn't a 2 and 10? And no I haven't reffed before but if I see kids getting thrown into the boards, I'd be sure to call it.

I'm not blaming them for anything besides allowing the other teams to hit us in the head every single hit, and then call us for all the little stuff that's questionable, a lot of the calls that were against us, the other team did the same thing and they didn't call it. Lots of boardings that weren't called, one of the boardings that was called wasn't a 2 and 10? And no I haven't reffed before but if I see kids getting thrown into the boards, I'd be sure to call it.

I would have to have been there to see what really happened. I can't imagine that they didn't let you team get away with obvious penalties based on what you are saying. Do refs make mistakes? Absolutely. Do they sometimes let stuff go that should be called? You betcha. Is at as bad as the team(s) that got 'hosed' say it was? Eh.

There are a lot of refs that disagree with the new standards USA Hockey has been implementing and refuse to call penalties appropriately. It's also early in the season, many guys have not yet attended the seminars with all of the new information. Mine is tomorrow

• Like 1

There are a lot of refs that disagree with the new standards USA Hockey has been implementing and refuse to call penalties appropriately. It's also early in the season, many guys have not yet attended the seminars with all of the new information. Mine is tomorrow

My seminar didn't really cover much in the way of penalty standards. Do they usually?

Every year, for at least one game we get the worst refs on the entire planet, last year it was in California, the year before that it was in Columbus. I'm feeling hopeful that these refs were the worst that we'll see this year.

California refs- so bad that the ref scouts watching the game had to talk to them after the game about not abusing there power.

Columbus refs- had half of our team in the box at one point, like 8 or 9 kids, one of the refs threatened to give me a delay of game penalty for skating to slow to the box to serve a to many men call.

so compared to those two times, theses refs actually weren't that bad haha.

My seminar didn't really cover much in the way of penalty standards. Do they usually?

They should be showing the USA Hockey videos. In the past there have been videos on what should and should not be called. They may skip it for level one officials in an effort to not confuse them.

Every year, for at least one game we get the worst refs on the entire planet, last year it was in California, the year before that it was in Columbus. I'm feeling hopeful that these refs were the worst that we'll see this year.

California refs- so bad that the ref scouts watching the game had to talk to them after the game about not abusing there power.

Columbus refs- had half of our team in the box at one point, like 8 or 9 kids, one of the refs threatened to give me a delay of game penalty for skating to slow to the box to serve a to many men call.

so compared to those two times, theses refs actually weren't that bad haha.

I've worked games that finished with one (out of four) assistant coach and three skaters on the bench. Keep taking penalties and you keep going to the box, I don't care how many guys are already there.

They should be showing the USA Hockey videos. In the past there have been videos on what should and should not be called. They may skip it for level one officials in an effort to not confuse them.

Dunno, this one was all levels. I actually don't recall ANY videos being shown. Some powerpoint of positioning and lots of lecture and whiteboard. We had guys taking their level 3 tests (and with the exception of the instructors, that was the highest we had). So it was definitely all mixed levels. My first seminar so I had nothing to compare it to.

I've worked games that finished with one (out of four) assistant coach and three skaters on the bench. Keep taking penalties and you keep going to the box, I don't care how many guys are already there.

I wouldn't have either if they would have called stuff on the other team, every little thing we did wrong they called, but anything the other team did, no matter how bad it was didn't get called.

we played that team earlier in the year and it was pretty choppy, so playing them again made it 10x more choppy, but they only called our chippiness :\

oh well, time to stop dwelling on the past and focus on future games.

Edited by Zjack38

Speaking of officials, a quick vent directed at USA Hockey officiating dept: my card/crest isn't going to be sent until I complete ELECTIVE online classes, that aren't even going to be available for "possibly a few more weeks". Where's the thought process in that?

Edited by BenderHockey

Speaking of officials, a quick vent directed at USA Hockey officiating dept: my card/crest isn't going to be sent until I complete ELECTIVE online classes, that aren't even going to be available for "possibly a few more weeks". Where's the thought process in that?

I agree, that sucks badly. Though apparently seminar attendance info is going to take 2-4 weeks anyway so hopefully those are done by then. Apparently they hoped to have all the courseware done in time for registrations for 2015 to start, but they fell behind. The mandatory courses were available the day before my seminar!

BTW by elective they don't mean optional, they mean you get to pick x number of courses out of the y number of courses offered.

What elective online classes?

USA hockey requires four pieces now (for level 1 at least):

- Online open book exam

- Seminar attendance

- SafeSport online course and quizzes (for those 18+)

- Online seminar (including some mandatory courses, plus some electives). For this info, login here: http://officialseminar.usahockey.com/

These steps are all described in your Referee Status page: https://learn.usahockey.com/officiatingseminars/myseminarhistory.cfm

Edited by OptimusReim

I attended my classroom seminar Saturday. This AM, it had posted on my status page already. I am being held up ONLY by this aspect.

Already?

Mine was weeks ago. Still says "Your seminar information is not yet complete for this season" and then down below it says it can take 2-4 weeks. See the pic:

GwBmZkK.png

Yeah, I was totally surprised. I kinda wish it hadn't processed so quickly, then maybe I wouldn't be angry at having to wait for these electives. At least they could let us know when, instead of "maybe in a few weeks. Hopefully."

I wish they'd waive the electives for this year since they're so behind in publishing them (they were SUPPOSED to be out in time for Aug 1 registration). I think we could survive without them for one more season.