Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Aaaaand, in a stunning and near-miraculous display of efficiency, our phone numbers were transferred to our new carrier less than 24 hours after I set up the new account. Why is this in the Venting Spot? It's supposed to take longer, and our SIM cards, shipped overnight, haven't arrived yet. So my wife is stuck home with our 4-week-old and no phone. GUH. Our neighbors on both sides are retired and have landlines, so if there's a dire emergency, she can go to one of them, but JFC, of all times to be expedient, did they have to choose the one that was terribly inconvenient?

Edit: And an hour later, I finally heard back from the place I interviewed at nine weeks ago. Didn't get the job. They hired an internal candidate. Why it took nine weeks (during which there were several email exchanges between myself and the woman with whom I interviewed - the first of which she initiated to update me on the status of their interview process) to conclude that they were going to just hire someone who was already there... I just don't know.

Edited by McDugan

Not so much a vent, as all of these things are by choice...but here is how my weekend is laid out:

Tonight:

League Hockey at 10:30p...likely not leaving the rink until well after midnight.

Tomorrow:

I have to be in Oakville (roughly 20 minute drive from here) at 6:30am for 6 hours of testing to see if I am eligible for a job at the Ford Assembly plant.

That should take me to about 1:00p...then rush home for a baseball game at 2:30p

Pick up hockey at 7:00p

Monday:

Can't even recover/sleep in Monday...as I have to be at a Networking Group to further aid my job search at 9:30a.

Monday afternoon and likely most of Tuesday will not be productive.

Not so much a vent, as all of these things are by choice...but here is how my weekend is laid out:

Tonight:

League Hockey at 10:30p...likely not leaving the rink until well after midnight.

Tomorrow:

I have to be in Oakville (roughly 20 minute drive from here) at 6:30am for 6 hours of testing to see if I am eligible for a job at the Ford Assembly plant.

That should take me to about 1:00p...then rush home for a baseball game at 2:30p

Pick up hockey at 7:00p

Monday:

Can't even recover/sleep in Monday...as I have to be at a Networking Group to further aid my job search at 9:30a.

Monday afternoon and likely most of Tuesday will not be productive.

Lost the hockey game 1-0. Had the tying goal on my stick for a penalty shot and he squeezed his arm to his body.

Testing went well (other than Math). We'll have to wait and see what happens next.

Lost our ball game 13-10

Off to the rink for game 2!

Dear random jerk: I don't understand what's so hard to understand. If there's limited seating at a public skate why the hell do you have your stuff sprawled across an entire bench? What gives you the right to then go up to a few people who *gasp* moved your stuff a few inches so they could sit down and tell them "That's our stuff you're sitting on" really nastily after giving them the death glare for a few minutes? When they aren't sitting on any of your precious stuff? Next time I'm chucking your stuff, including your wife's designer purse, under the bench where it should have been in the first place. You're lucky I had friends that I wanted to have a pleasant introduction to skating or we would have had words. Get a locker if you're that concerned about your stuff!

Seriously, two benches are there for a busy public skate and this selfish prick thanks he needs an entire bench rather than the skaters who are trying to adjust their skates or sit down for a minute. There was a whole section of metal bleachers there for those who weren't skating. I actually went and said something to a staff member it was so ridiculous. You could see him stewing about it for a few minutes before he said something.

The rink I take lessons at is starting to have issues with this too during Saturday morning lessons but thankfully everybody is fairly courteous about it. I still don't like people who leave their bags on the benches though. Wish people would think about somebody other than themselves for once!

I looked at that account and I don't understand the issue with people putting their feet on stuff or up in the air. If there was actually room to sit like a normal human being that would be different but there isn't. I always took my boots off on flights to lessen the DVT risk.

I looked at that account and I don't understand the issue with people putting their feet on stuff or up in the air. If there was actually room to sit like a normal human being that would be different but there isn't. I always took my boots off on flights to lessen the DVT risk.

There's plenty of room for a normal human being to sit like a normal human being. Unless you are 350lbs, 6'5" or flying Spirit, there is enough room to sit in a seat as it was designed. There's also the issue of clear air turbulence to consider. Many of those more advanced positions require people to unbuckle their seat belt, making them much more likely to be injured in the event of significant turbulence. As for people putting their feet on places where they don't belong, A- it's incredibly unsanitary and B- It's impolite to intrude on the limited space other people have in the confined quarters of an airplane. The people with their feet on the trays and armrests in front of them are usually the same people that go to the lavatory on the airplane without shoes too.

• Like 1

There's just no reason to put your nasty feet all over the place

Seriously. I like a chance to go shoeless as much as the next person, but there's a limit. I have a classmate in my EMT class who goes barefoot (or sock-footed) in lectures and occasionally during practicals. Keep your shoes on, for others and yourself, who knows what's on these chairs/floors.

Haha yup this was southwest. Waitied in airport for 6+ hours for delays. Around midnight they finally go ahead and cancel our flight. When I to got get my bag to take to a nearby hotel for the night, they tell me they aren't getting bags for that flight.

So I book a hotel room via hotels.com (normally book direct, but also normally have more time to research hotels before I book). Get on the last shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and when I get there they tell me they don't have a room for me. So I call another hotel and they do have a room so I call a cab to take me there. 3 hours sleep and then up again for my rescheduled 7am flight home.

Ugh. Southwest is the worst. If their points weren't so quick to accrue (and cost so few to book free flights), not to mention the companion pass, I'd have ditched them long ago.

Maybe they didn't feel like searching out one bag that you would be handing back to them in 4 hours.

Shouldn't matter. It's his possessions and they shouldn't just be allowed to hold onto an item which may contain things medically or otherwise necessary.

I know how frustrating travel is but there really isn't anything that can be done about the weather and Chicago's fire in the air traffic control building is not helping. I always tell people if they knew how complicated the system is they would be amazed they ever get anywhere with their bag on time. Sorry you had such a bad experience though brother!

Shouldn't matter. It's his possessions and they shouldn't just be allowed to hold onto an item which may contain things medically or otherwise necessary.

Had it been some kind of medical emergency then I'm sure an exception would have been made, otherwise, what is in a checked bag that is so important that you must have it between the hours of midnight and 7am?

Maybe they didn't feel like searching out one bag that you would be handing back to them in 4 hours.

Considering they cancelled an entire flight I would assume there would have been an entire flight worth of baggage to distribute, not just one bag. They did it for the other cancelled flights too, just not ours.

So ANYWAY, I get to the check-in today and ask "so what happens with my bag you guys held on to last night, will that just get automatically sent on my new flight?" They assured me that was the case.

Nope, no bag. Not especially surprised, really. They filed a report and said if it turned up they'd call me. Incredible.

I know how frustrating travel is but there really isn't anything that can be done about the weather and Chicago's fire in the air traffic control building is not helping. I always tell people if they knew how complicated the system is they would be amazed they ever get anywhere with their bag on time. Sorry you had such a bad experience though brother!

I was 100% fine with the cancellation, it was no surprise considering that storm. I just wish they hadn't a) waited 6 hours to cancel it, b) not been willing to give us our bags back and c) not lost my bag. Edited by OptimusReim

Sothwest has had a ton of problems over the last year or so. Their on time percentage and mishandled bag rates are the worst among major airlines.

Chad

Believe me no one feels the pain more than the employees. It's pretty much all merger stuff and hopefully we will be back to getting people and their bags where they are going in time. Lots of work being put in to fix these problems.