Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Most non-hockey people don't get that hockey does nothing for endurance. It is basically hustle-rest-repeat.

Indeed. Though I'm hoping through working out, getting fit, and getting stronger even those short bursts will start to be tolerable. I'm pretty much dying after every shift, which is the reason I got booted from my team. My shifts were extremely short and I was just about killing the other RW.

Having a REALLY hard time completing the workouts my trainer has given me, which at this point just consist of intervals on a treadmill:

1. 2 min warmup @ 2.5mph

2. 3 min jog @ 5mph

3. 1 min walk @ 3.5 mph @ 6.0* incline

4. Repeat #2 and #3 seven times

5. 2 min cooldown @ 2.5mph

All that probably sounds like cake to you guys, but to a fatass like me I'm having a lot of trouble getting through it. The 3 min jog is the hardest part. It's embarrassing not being able to do this... :(

Nah, man, I salute you for even going near a treadmill. Those things are tools of the devil. :ph34r: I feel your pain though.

(Some people are not cut out for jogging. If I'm going to do one joint-ruining activity per week it's going to be hockey. Swimming has helped my endurance a lot.)

Nah, man, I salute you for even going near a treadmill. Those things are tools of the devil. :ph34r: I feel your pain though.

(Some people are not cut out for jogging. If I'm going to do one joint-ruining activity per week it's going to be hockey. Swimming has helped my endurance a lot.)

I used to run a lot when I was younger. Nothing long distance, but I was quite fast in the 100m sprint, etc. Also won an award once for stolen bases! :) I'm not opposed to running, I'm just too heavy to be able to do it effectively at this point. A slower speed at high incline is going to do a lot more for me at this point, so I'm happy that's what he's moved me to.

I used to run a lot when I was younger. Nothing long distance, but I was quite fast in the 100m sprint, etc. Also won an award once for stolen bases! :) I'm not opposed to running, I'm just too heavy to be able to do it effectively at this point. A slower speed at high incline is going to do a lot more for me at this point, so I'm happy that's what he's moved me to.

Apologies - I didn't mean to come off as abrupt. I really am impressed with people who can run/jog and for whom this is a useful form of exercise. I wish that I could. :) Good luck and patience.

Indeed. Though I'm hoping through working out, getting fit, and getting stronger even those short bursts will start to be tolerable. I'm pretty much dying after every shift, which is the reason I got booted from my team. My shifts were extremely short and I was just about killing the other RW.

You will find that you'll be able to handle longer shifts and that your recovery time will shrink as you improve your fitness.

Most non-hockey people don't get that hockey does nothing for endurance. It is basically hustle-rest-repeat.

I don't know about that...

I am not a runner, and I did a 21:52 5k last month. Three 7-minute miles.

And the last mile was total hockey-style hustle-rest-repeat: sprint 1min, walk 30sec, sprint 1min, walk 30sec. :lol:

Did you know there's actually a "run-walk method for distance running?

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

I wonder if Jeff Galloway is actually a hockey player? :ph34r:

A buddy of mine was training to do a half marathon this spring and figured that "hockey fit" wasn't going to cut it; I think he put it off another year.

You will find that you'll be able to handle longer shifts and that your recovery time will shrink as you improve your fitness.

True. You also find yourself actually researching sports nutrition. :laugh:

Run/walk turned me into a 6:30 miler from a 7:20 miler. Of course I have always SUCKED at running, but my duathlon times were actually pretty good. Who knows if anyone does duathlon anymore (run/bike/run), but interval training does a slow ass good.

Keep on keepin' on, Opti.

• Like 1

Plantar fasciitis sucks!

Yes it does. I was in a walking boot for twelve weeks in '07, and I feel like I might need to go for drastic corrective action this year. I feel for you, matey.

Sorry to hear. I hope things start looking up for you soon, man.

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts.

Skated with my guys tonight in a pickup session and had headaches after the first shift and nausea after the second. It looks like I am still a long way off.

Why do Ex-OHLers and current OHLers decide that they should play in Division 4 summer hockey? Shouldn't they be in the top division with the University players and other pros/semi-pros? Does scoring 4 goals and having 7 points in a 7 goal game on a bunch of guys who never played anywhere of merit make you feel like you accomplished something? The goalie you scored on was 5'2 and a female (no offence but it does matter).

Not only that, but it was 5-1... why did you need to score again 2 more times?

Edited by Hills

The Price Is Right without Bob Barker. Bob Barker is the KING of that show. Drew Carey should be buried to his waist and stoned to death for sullying the sacred show known as The Price Is Right.

Haven't left the house in 6 weeks now minus one hospital visit. Starting another new drug next week... fingers crossed. Looks like I'll be missing another (fourth) semester of college as of now, but hopefully not.

Edited by DolomaticDangles
  • Like 1

Having a REALLY hard time completing the workouts my trainer has given me, which at this point just consist of intervals on a treadmill:

1. 2 min warmup @ 2.5mph

2. 3 min jog @ 5mph

3. 1 min walk @ 3.5 mph @ 6.0* incline

4. Repeat #2 and #3 seven times

5. 2 min cooldown @ 2.5mph

All that probably sounds like cake to you guys, but to a fatass like me I'm having a lot of trouble getting through it. The 3 min jog is the hardest part. It's embarrassing not being able to do this... :(

Instead of embarrassment, I salute you for having a go at it. Nobody should chide anyone else when it comes to working at getting better.

• Like 2

Local rink just completely re-built one of the two sheets from scratch (including all the stuff under the ice, etc). But, they installed dark blue kickplates on the boards instead of yellow. It's REALLY hard to pick up the puck on the boards now.

...Nobody should chide anyone else when it comes to working at getting better.

Hells no!!!!

I was the skinny kid who got really, really fat when he turned 19!!!! I had to slowly get into a routine and slowly peel off the layers of fat. It is NOT an overnight process, and most of us have to fight it for the rest of our lives.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1