Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

What did you do...

2: Slashing. Battling in the corner and the guy had body position and I had to chip the puck past him so I swung at it like an axe (you know the motion, when you're really reaching just hoping to get a piece of the puck). Actually got puck but hit stick too.

2: unsportsmanlike. Told the ref this league was a f**king joke, bulls**t call, yadda yadda.

10: abuse of official. Told the ref to go f**k himself, called him an a**hole, after he decided he was going to start talking back after the unsportsmanlike.

We found out just before the game that one of our players was being disallowed from taking part in the playoffs because he was too good. He was completely eligible (played the min number of regular season games). This is also in the league where there are teams where the entire team is being moved up a division because they hit double digits in almost every game they played. But one of our guys wasn't allowed to play... Totally fed up with this league.

Anyway, the game started to get ridiculous. They even had one guy who would wind up with a slapshot from the neutral zone, not even aiming for the net. He was aiming at our players. I just had enough. It was a single-elimination playoff game, we were losing with zero momentum and they were still pulling that crap. I'd just simply had enough.

Anyway. No excuse for what I said, no matter how much I think he deserved it. Which is why I think it's time to take time off. Work is kicking my ass and it's clearly affecting me. Luckily goalie is the exact opposite for me, it's very calming. Kind of a zen thing out there.

2: Slashing. Battling in the corner and the guy had body position and I had to chip the puck past him so I swung at it like an axe (you know the motion, when you're really reaching just hoping to get a piece of the puck). Actually got puck but hit stick too.2: unsportsmanlike. Told the ref this league was a f**king joke, bulls**t call, yadda yadda.10: abuse of official. Told the ref to go f**k himself, called him an a**hole, after he decided he was going to start talking back after the unsportsmanlike.We found out just before the game that one of our players was being disallowed from taking part in the playoffs because he was too good. He was completely eligible (played the min number of regular season games). This is also in the league where there are teams where the entire team is being moved up a division because they hit double digits in almost every game they played. But one of our guys wasn't allowed to play... Totally fed up with this league.Anyway, the game started to get ridiculous. They even had one guy who would wind up with a slapshot from the neutral zone, not even aiming for the net. He was aiming at our players. I just had enough. It was a single-elimination playoff game, we were losing with zero momentum and they were still pulling that crap. I'd just simply had enough.Anyway. No excuse for what I said, no matter how much I think he deserved it. Which is why I think it's time to take time off. Work is kicking my ass and it's clearly affecting me. Luckily goalie is the exact opposite for me, it's very calming. Kind of a zen thing out there.

Right on.

How so? I think you made a conscious decision and chose a path that feels better to you. Plus I'm a Soto Zen Buddhist, so your mention of zen seems to fit. I dig it when people are true to themselves.

Ask anyone...I'm an odd dude....

Edited by Caihlen

How so? I think you made a conscious decision and chose a path that feels better to you. Plus I'm a Soto Zen Buddhist, so your mention of zen seems to fit. I dig it when people are true to themselves.

Ask anyone...I'm an odd dude....

Heh sorry, "right on" just sounded dismissive. Yea, I need to either take the summer off or figure out a way to reduce work stress. Almost everything makes me angry. Seriously just about everything.

Finish a 40 page network assessment for a company. "Hey, can you convert this into a powerpoint to present to management?"

Uh, sure. It's not like I have 3 other projects due this week or anything. Let me go ahead and waste a day on this.

So the guy Whos stick I slashed in my last game as I mentioned in a previous post... He plays pickup with us on Tuesday nights. He took slap shots at my head all night, regardless of whether he was at center ice or 6 feet in front of me. Even from the bad angle along the goal line... Big windup and high slapper.

I guess he's still mad at me. Though you'd think he'd try to score on me rather than just shooting it right at the guy wearing massive padding. *shrug*

Like I said, goalie is calming for me. Definitely not going to let THAT kind of nonsense get to me when I have to focus on making saves. I'd really have put this in the sweet spot thread if I hadn't been referencing the earlier post.

Zen... Calm... Have to make saves. Stay focused. I had a pretty good pickup session actually :)

Went to counseling with my wife, doctor told my wife almost all of the same things that I have said over the last year. Why is this in the venting spot? We probably won't be going back to see the same doctor ever again, my wife hates it when I'm right.

• Like 1

Went to counseling with my wife, doctor told my wife almost all of the same things that I have said over the last year. Why is this in the venting spot? We probably won't be going back to see the same doctor ever again, my wife hates it when I'm right.

Better get all that out now. If you even dream of phrasing it that way in her presence, you will need a JD in lieu of a PsyD.
  • Like 1

It might not be a bad idea to let her see the doctor once on her own before returning as a couple. It might be a little easier for her to have the conversation and discuss those things without knowing you are looking at her with the "Where have I heard this before?" face.

So the guy Whos stick I slashed in my last game as I mentioned in a previous post... He plays pickup with us on Tuesday nights. He took slap shots at my head all night, regardless of whether he was at center ice or 6 feet in front of me. Even from the bad angle along the goal line... Big windup and high slapper.

I guess he's still mad at me. Though you'd think he'd try to score on me rather than just shooting it right at the guy wearing massive padding. *shrug*

Like I said, goalie is calming for me. Definitely not going to let THAT kind of nonsense get to me when I have to focus on making saves. I'd really have put this in the sweet spot thread if I hadn't been referencing the earlier post.

Zen... Calm... Have to make saves. Stay focused. I had a pretty good pickup session actually :)

In all fairness, you did swing your stick like an axe. I'm surprised he didn't immediately give you one across the hands or somewhere on the legs.

In all fairness, you did swing your stick like an axe. I'm surprised he didn't immediately give you one across the hands or somewhere on the legs.

Sort of, it was a bit of a bad description. You know the motion I'm talking about though. Both hands come together (or often one hand on the stick) trying to reach out and chip the puck past the guy. It's not like I tried a forceful chop at his stick or anything.

I tried to find a good photo of the play I'm talking about but couldn't really find anything good. This was the best I could find:

20874.jpg

Imagine I'm Karlsson and I take a horizontal swing at the puck just trying to chop it past Seguin. It's not like I was angry or hacked at him or anything.

Edited by OptimusReim

It might not be a bad idea to let her see the doctor once on her own before returning as a couple. It might be a little easier for her to have the conversation and discuss those things without knowing you are looking at her with the "Where have I heard this before?" face.

It was her choice, she is already ignoring another therapist for her own issues.

Better get all that out now. If you even dream of phrasing it that way in her presence, you will need a JD in lieu of a PsyD.

Oh hell no, I'm not that stupid.

Sort of, it was a bit of a bad description. You know the motion I'm talking about though. Both hands come together (or often one hand on the stick) trying to reach out and chip the puck past the guy. It's not like I tried a forceful chop at his stick or anything.

I tried to find a good photo of the play I'm talking about but couldn't really find anything good. This was the best I could find:

20874.jpg

Imagine I'm Karlsson and I take a horizontal swing at the puck just trying to chop it past Seguin. It's not like I was angry or hacked at him or anything.

I'm trying to learn to time my own swing like that. You have to time your downforce to connect with the moment your blade is at their blade/puck...if you're too early, the stick bounces up and into their stick (and misses the puck)...too late, and you simply slash their stick.

Until then, I'm sticking to one-handing my 66" stick flat along the ice. It's not as fast, but definitely not as violent.

It was her choice, she is already ignoring another therapist for her own issues.

You can't really fix each other together. She has to fix her, you have to fix you.

There wasn't shit I could do to change my wife until I made myself a better husband.

Not saying you're a bad husband, but change can only come from within--hers has to come from within her. And you can't make her want to, either. :(

I'm trying to learn to time my own swing like that. You have to time your downforce to connect with the moment your blade is at their blade/puck...if you're too early, the stick bounces up and into their stick (and misses the puck)...too late, and you simply slash their stick.

Yea, he had better position on me. I was just trying to get to it thinking he was going to have better position to make a play with it, whereas I was trying to just get there and get a piece of it. He took it really personally, I guess. It's not like it was a retaliatory hack to the stick or ankles or anything, but whatever he'll get over it eventually.

He probably viewed it as a reckless and perhaps even out of control action. These kind of things occur more often in the lower divisions of leagues.

Yeah he probably did, I guess. Like I said, he'll get over it. The guys at pickup eventually told him to stop being an asshat so that shouldn't be an issue going forward as well.

Yea, he had better position on me. I was just trying to get to it thinking he was going to have better position to make a play with it, whereas I was trying to just get there and get a piece of it. He took it really personally, I guess. It's not like it was a retaliatory hack to the stick or ankles or anything, but whatever he'll get over it eventually.

He'll either get over it or die mad!!

The guys at pickup eventually told him to stop being an asshat so that shouldn't be an issue going forward as well.

So clearly he was going overboard in retaliating.

He'll either get over it or die mad!!

So clearly he was going overboard in retaliating.

Well the fact that he wouldn't pass it anymore was probably pissing people off even more than aiming at my head was ;) He'd just get it and wind up, regardless of where he was on the ice as long as he was past the red line.

Some of these guys have been playing these pickup games together for literally decades (we have an 80yo who plays with us!) and stuff like that is not really tolerated. There's always a "HEY HEY HEY KEEP IT DOWN" on high shots, even if not intentional.

Oh, I agree that he definitely overreacted by going head high all night. I could see one or maybe two to get your attention but then it should have been over and done with.

• Like 1

seems from this thread there is so much drama in California hockey. I realize Hollywood is just down the road, but sheesh.

• Like 1

seems from this thread there is so much drama in California hockey. I realize Hollywood is just down the road, but sheesh.

I actually had a Minnesotian tell me something along those lines in a game not too long ago. I still refuse to believe it haha.

• Like 2

I dunno, maybe that's why I'm baffled why he took it so personally, since I'm not from here... You're right though, people down this way seem to get their feelings hurt or get offended by nothing pretty easily. Sorry Chase! :)