Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slacker76

Penguins 2009-2010

Yeah, Orpik has some sort of lower body injury. They showed him skating after practice and it looks like something with his right leg. I'm guessing he's still a couple days away since he was just in a warm up suit stickhandling.

reason for orpik not dressing?

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=300114006

Healthy scratch

He's listed as a healthy scratch but he got hurt a couple of games ago.

If he isn't healthy they are leaving themselves open to a fine from the league.

Yeah, I don't know what's up. It's no secret he's hurt. I just checked and he was listed as lower body from the Calgary game. He's not a scratch or on the game roster tonight....Oh, holy crap! Malkin just scored!!!

How about the kid getting to play nets for the second half. I love stuff like that, even tho the Pens got owned. He must be high as a kite today. B)

I'm sure most of us had a sense of foreboding heading into the game but damn, Curry has to do something. That goal from behind the goalline, what a nutbuster.

Props to the kid though, he'll have a story to tell forever. He makes a little cash, gets everyones autograph and heads home. Nice.

I hope the boys can pull it back together soon. It seems to me like injuries and that they're tired. They're not dictating the play like they do when they're winning games.

Fleury will not play until late next week.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_662661.html

Also notes about Johnson, Orpik, the new kid goalie included in the link as well.

Some of these columnists are considering trying to get Peter Sykora back to play with Malkin because of their decent chemistry. Geno just looks tired, wore out. His shoulder was bothering him, but I wonder if its worse than they let on. It sucks to say Malkins having a bad year, but for him he pretty much is.

Malkin article

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_662655.html

Maybe Sid just got mad at everyone saying he wasn't the Pens best player last season :P

Geno just looks tired, wore out. His shoulder was bothering him, but I wonder if its worse than they let on. It sucks to say Malkins having a bad year, but for him he pretty much is.

Malkin article

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_662655.html

Maybe Sid just got mad at everyone saying he wasn't the Pens best player last season :P

Did Sid get mad at Gino and beat up his shoulder so he could get more points? LoL. :lol:

I hope the boys can pull it back together soon. It seems to me like injuries and that they're tired. They're not dictating the play like they do when they're winning games.

Agree. The good thing is that despite the poor showing lately they're still 4th seed vs having to claw their way up from the bottom like the past few seasons.

I'm not too worried at this point. They have a history of turning it on when it matters most & after last season when I had completely given up hope of them making the playoffs they turn around & battle to the 4th seed & win the Cup. :lol: I'll never doubt them again & just trust that GMRS & HCDB will push the right buttons.

How about the kid getting to play nets for the second half. I love stuff like that, even tho the Pens got owned. He must be high as a kite today. B)

Yeah, I wish they would pay me to sit on the bench in pads for a game. I played in high school, I think I'd be ok to play half a game if need be...maybe :(

In the games I've seen (limited here in Aus,) Malkin has not seemed himself, and has been barely noticeable. I'm really hoping he regains his form come playoff time. But if it is indeed fatigue that is getting to him then it is unlikely which is no good at all...

They have had two long playoff runs the last two years, that starts to catch up at some point. The number of guys playing in the Olympics isn't going to help there either.

I think its caught up with them. I didnt think it would be that bad cause the team is so young but how else can you explain the lackluster play? Hopefully they're keeping something in the tank while staying n the playoff picture.. but I dunno.

Also cool to note the kid goali was wearing MAFs pads due to NHL regulations or something, so he was even more impressive considering it wasn't even his gear he was playing in, atleast not all of it.

They have had two long playoff runs the last two years, that starts to catch up at some point. The number of guys playing in the Olympics isn't going to help there either.

Agreed, I watched them live in Calgary last week and then on TV in EDM and Van, the guys looked tired(except Staal, guy is awesome, great to watch in person).

As much as Sid battles during the shift, when he hit the 45 sec mark his legs were done(like most guys in the NHL, but Sid looked really gased some shifts)

The Oilers were able to go many years of Oct to June hockey with no real effects of fatigue, but I think the toll of todays game after two years of Oct to June grinds and the training from Aug-Oct starts to wear on the body, even that of the young guys. Now throw in the Olympics, that is alot of hockey over three years.

It's early but I don't see a cup run this year.

I don't like to count guys like Sid, Gino, Staal & Fleury out (especially after last years comeback), but I just don't think they have enough left in the tank to go to 3 straight finals. An early exit might not be the worst thing going forward.

The olympic break will give us much needed rest but the problem is the guys that need it the most are playing in it. Atleast it wont be that intense of a tourney, normal games i think, but Bylsma really should bench crosby/malkin/gonch when they get back after olympics for like 2 games. What sucks is they dont have a stretch of games right after the break that involves crappy teams, so they really couldn't get any rest until april, where they play thrashers and isles twice each in their last 5. Plus what helps is they only leave the NE 5 times in march/april, 4 times in SE play and once to detroit (which isn't that far), so hopefully that will help.

While the stretch is going to have a lot of important divisional games, i think they'll be able to hold it together and get top 6 in east, should be good enough to get into good position for a decent run in playoffs. but unless they sweep like their first round, i dont think we'll get past conference semis.

The olympic break will give us much needed rest but the problem is the guys that need it the most are playing in it. Atleast it wont be that intense of a tourney, normal games i think, but Bylsma really should bench crosby/malkin/gonch when they get back after olympics for like 2 games. What sucks is they dont have a stretch of games right after the break that involves crappy teams, so they really couldn't get any rest until april, where they play thrashers and isles twice each in their last 5. Plus what helps is they only leave the NE 5 times in march/april, 4 times in SE play and once to detroit (which isn't that far), so hopefully that will help.

While the stretch is going to have a lot of important divisional games, i think they'll be able to hold it together and get top 6 in east, should be good enough to get into good position for a decent run in playoffs. but unless they sweep like their first round, i dont think we'll get past conference semis.

I dare the penguins to rest their players against the Islanders.

Islanders are a playoff team right now, as of course you know Rise. However, depending on where the Pens sit in the points and whatnot, it might not be bad to rest them against the Redwings or any other western conference team where its not a 4 point game. Its early to predict whats gonna happen but can't count anybody out yet. Some guys just have the ability to get through the regular season and light it up post season with a whole new level..

You don't need to rest guys. Malkin and Crosby are very young and have experienced the grind of long playoff runs. Gonch has had plenty of rest this season with injuries. Even if the preceeding weren't true there is no need to rest them.

Plus resting them would have gotten them a 1-4 spanking last night lol. But i agree with Fireonice, if your going to rest players, do it against the weaker western teams. Or a spot in the schedule where there are multiple days off to let them recover a bit. Youth is not a substitute for rest. Despite their age they will be tired come playoffs if they arnt already. Doesnt mean they cant win the cup again, but it certainly does not help.