Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theelite

Picking the right stick length/flex/lie/curve.

You guys have me wondering if I should be using intermediate sticks now. I am 5'9" and usually cut off about 2 1/2 " off senior sticks.

I use intermediates at times. Sometimes I prefer the thinner grip. Less flex doesn't mean less durability as some people seem to swear by.

I use intermediates at times. Sometimes I prefer the thinner grip. Less flex doesn't mean less durability as some people seem to swear by.

Intermediate sticks are thinner? I never noticed that.

I actually use a senior Vapor XXXX with77 flex so cut down a couple of inches isn't that bad. I wouldn't mind tryint an int stick though.

So how do I pick the right lie? Is it just based on the wear of tape on a blade that helps indicate what to pick?

What does wear mean if it is on the heel, mid, or toe of the blade?

How much of a diff. will stick length come into play?

I've never known what lie i use, mainly because of the sticks i purchase dont have them listed. so plzzzz help.

THANKS!

Heel wear means you need a lower lie. Toe wear means you need a higher lie.

Stick length will change a stick's lie.

What stick/curve can tell you what lie as long as it's not pro stock.

Technically, changing the length will change what lie you need.

Heel wear means you need a lower lie. Toe wear means you need a higher lie.

What stick/curve can tell you what lie as long as it's not pro stock.

I have been using prostocks mainly now. but the best indicator of a retail stick was my 10K Datsyuk patter 65Flex that has insane wear on the heel. What lie would this be?

I have been using prostocks mainly now. but the best indicator of a retail stick was my 10K Datsyuk patter 65Flex that has insane wear on the heel. What lie would this be?

Is the wear from how you carry the blade on the ice? Are you content with the accuracy of your shots? Changing to a blade that has a lower lie should help a bit, but I don't know if it will change the wear from insane wear on the heel to the center of your blade. You might want to try a two piece set up, that way you can check out different lies.

I am too impatient lol.

Are all company stick lies the same?

No. Warrior's lie ratings are notoriously off and some companies/patterns have more rocker than others. Prime examples are the P88 from Bauer and Recchi from CCM. Both are listed as 6 but play more like a 5.

Lie should be as much about shooting/passing as it is about stickhandling. I know guys that will use a certain lie because it is appropriate when they stickhandle, but when they shoot, they keep the puck much closer or further away from them. Naturally, explaining this to them was pointless. I'm lucky that my curve is perfect in nearly every way for me from ideal profile to almost the exact curve I'd want if it were my choice, plus the lie is perfect. Can't imagine trying to experiment around and find the right lie AND curve.

Personally I pick the curve and flex and then adjust the length and my shot until it's comfortable. Lie never seems to be an issue with me.

Personally I pick the curve and flex and then adjust the length and my shot until it's comfortable. Lie never seems to be an issue with me.

Thats the opposite of me. I can get used to any curve over a game or two such that I`m at least worthwhile on the ice, but I`m very sensitive to lie and rocker changes. It sucks trying to receive hard passes when you aren`t confident about the sweet spot of your blade.

In regards specifically to stick lie..

Does player height, EXcluding all other factors, dictate proper lie?

For example, does a taller player require a higher lie b/c he/she naturally holds the stick higher from the ice due to height alone?

For myself personally (6'2"), even when I'm in a pro shop looking at sticks (w/o skates on), I find that most of the sticks are only making contact with the floor on the toe, and the heel is off the ground (again, most likely due to my height), indicating to me that I would need a higher lie, right? I can't possibly get low enough, especially with skates on, to use a lower lie angled stick, it seems, and get full blade contact.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

bladelies2.jpg

In regards specifically to stick lie..

Does player height, EXcluding all other factors, dictate proper lie?

For example, does a taller player require a higher lie b/c he/she naturally holds the stick higher from the ice due to height alone?

For myself personally (6'2"), even when I'm in a pro shop looking at sticks (w/o skates on), I find that most of the sticks are only making contact with the floor on the toe, and the heel is off the ground (again, most likely due to my height), indicating to me that I would need a higher lie, right? I can't possibly get low enough, especially with skates on, to use a lower lie angled stick, it seems, and get full blade contact.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

It sounds like the stick is too short for you. The player height shouldn't dictate the proper lie. Players of the same height can lean at different angles, use a different stick length and have preferences how far they distance themselves from the puck. These differences can change the lie for the player so that the blade lies naturally on the ground.

But you're right that you'd need a higher lie if your heel is off the floor.

6-2 isn't all that tall when it comes to hockey sticks. You must hold your hands extremely high if a full length retail stick is only touching the floor at the toe.

I'm 6'2" and I usually use a lie 5. You must stand really erect or like Chadd said keep your hands very high to have only the toe touching on a retail length stick. Best to get in the ready position or skating position holding the stick to see what lie is better fit for you.