Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJStripes

MLX Skates Now Available

I'm at 28.4 cm for the left and 27.7 for the right, if I remember correctly. So according to the sizing chart it puts me in sort of a funny spot. I would just be worried that then both skates would be too big, and I'm not entirely sold on the toe insert idea. I know I've got to compromise somewhere, I'm just trying to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.

Krev, because of your quick replies to my questions and concerns, you made me pull the trigger sooner than later. you should be a rep for MLX lol

Hah... No. Just using common sense gained from working in an LHS for a few years.

Go for the larger size. It'd be better to have one skate be just a touch too big than have your foot be cramped in the opposite skate. If it's more than a touch or is a considerably large size discrepancy, I'd wait to hear back from them on their recommendation.

The other side of that is to get perfect fit on one and you can always make a smaller skate bigger, all of this within reason. That is a performance-based fit.

Yeah, I think I'm going to order a set of size 9's. I re-measured my foot a little more carefully, and my left foot is at the high-end of a 9 or the low-end of a 10. I have a pretty good size Haglund's bump on my left heel which makes my foot a little hard to measure. I looked at more of the MLX info and they say if you are in-between skate sizes like I am, to go with the smaller size if you like a tighter skate, which I like my toes to be right off the toecap. In their newer sizing video on YouTube they say they are about a half-size behind Bauer, and if you are a 9.5 in Bauer, you are a 9 in an MLX skate. My left foot is a 9.5 in Bauer (Supremes atleast), so that's a good example for me. He also says that during baking, your foot will pull back and gain a little extra room.

They allow returns up to 14 days, so I guess worst case scenario is the skates don't work out and I have to return them. Maybe they will work with me and allow me to return the left for a larger size or be able to stretch it a little. If these work out, it's a huge cost savings over going with custom skates, so I think it's worth the risk. I also pronate a bit so I can adjust for that with the holders.

Are the MLX skates easy to sharpen like most skates? I don't want to run into a problem at the LHS when I get them first sharpened.

...yes.

llol thx^^

lastly is it alright to keep the flop/tongue out or must I tuck them under the shin pad like the Totalones?

Pretty sure you can do either. If you watch one of their videos they show Gonchar's with his flopped. However, that's on their true NHL pro level custom skate. On the retails, it might be a tad harder. I wouldn't know though, I prefer my shins on top.

I wear an 8.5 Bauer. I went with an 8 MLX. I can get the small insert in on the right boot but prefer it out.

The tongue does have an insert so while flopping is possible I don't like the feel of it. Even fully laced the forward flex is very good so flopping doesn't seem to be an issue.

Someone asked about putting them on. They are hard to get on because they are so form fitting. Once they're on though they feel great.

If you mess with the blade positioning I'd recommend putting a piece of white tape on the toe and heel and draw a reference line on both ends. Make small movements, no more than 1/16 inch then skate, adjust, skate.. . etc.

2 months of 2 - 4 games a week. At this point I'm done messing with them. They're dialed in and unless they fall apart I expect to be wearing them a good long time.

If you placed the order yesterday like I did they wouldn't have shipped till today at the earliest.

I sprung for the overnight shipping, so I'm hoping mine will ship tomorrow and be here Friday. They say size 9's are in-stock, so I've got my fingers crossed they're going out on time. I got a skate Saturday night, so that would give me enough time to bake them, see how they feel on my feet, and maybe put them on the ice.

If you placed the order yesterday like I did they wouldn't have shipped till today at the earliest.

You're correct, i worded that badly. I placed the order on Tuesday afternoon, I would have liked to see some change in my order status by Wednesday night, alas none. Ill email them in the morning.

You're correct, i worded that badly. I placed the order on Tuesday afternoon, I would have liked to see some change in my order status by Wednesday night, alas none. Ill email them in the morning.

At least your sizes were in stock. I'm not expecting any change in my status until then.

They must be giving out specialized codes for their skates. I just saw an add on my facebook for another 50% off code. It's also on their facebook page. Kinda hidden, you have to dig for it, but it's there. Applied the code to a fake order and it accepted it.

So, if anyone wanted to give these skates a try, you've got two codes you can choose from.

hfboards50

facebook50

Cheers.

Probably not moving enough product. Judging by my order number, they've moved around 550+ units. So who knows what their plan is. But those codes are very specialized. Hockey players and parents who aren't members of HFBoards or here won't even know those codes exist.

Until it starts spreading, just as those have. I honestly feel bad for people that paid the full $800 for these skates.

Until they really really spread out, I don't see them loosing out too much. Might be worth to them to take the hit for the extra product hitting market.

Agreed, and I do feel a little bad about using the %50 percent off code, however, MLX charged my card meaning they're okay with it soooooooo not too much guilt coming from me.

Skates were supposed to ship yesterday, but my order status hasn't changed yet. Getting nervous!

Update... I was just looking on their youtube channel and saw this... "Save 50% off MLX skates! Only 50 available. Use coupon code youtube50 here: http://mlxskates.com/buy" interesting!

They must be giving out specialized codes for their skates. I just saw an add on my facebook for another 50% off code. It's also on their facebook page. Kinda hidden, you have to dig for it, but it's there. Applied the code to a fake order and it accepted it.

So, if anyone wanted to give these skates a try, you've got two codes you can choose from.

hfboards50

facebook50

Cheers.

Ya I tried the youtube50 code and it applied the 50% discount to the order. So there are 3 usable codes to choose from instead of using the 15% off code