Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJStripes

MLX Skates Now Available

Yeah that's Morin.

Jet is very impressed with the skate thus far. If I could get on the ice more than once every three months, I'd probably grab a pair myself...

If anyone in Minnesota wants to see the skates, they will be an exhibitor at the Youth AAA Hockey Caribou Cup tourney this weekend at Maple Grove Ice arena. I have no details I just noticed that their name is listed as an exhibitor on the tourney web page.

yikes 800$ for a skate that weighs at 850g and considered a top end skate :S!?

Weight's not everything. The fit, flexibility, and adjustability might increase performance more than lighter weight alone. Key word is might. I'm waiting for more reviews, but I'll give the company a chance. My favorite pair of hockey skates is also speed skate technology based (Kor Shift 1's). The fit is great, the adjustable pitch is great, the low cut is great, but the durability is not so great. I added FBV to it and it was all good. Actually, an FBV sharpening is probably the best bang for the buck in improving skate performance, more so than losing 10-15 grams off the skate.

Weight's not everything. The fit, flexibility, and adjustability might increase performance more than lighter weight alone. Key word is might. I'm waiting for more reviews, but I'll give the company a chance. My favorite pair of hockey skates is also speed skate technology based (Kor Shift 1's). The fit is great, the adjustable pitch is great, the low cut is great, but the durability is not so great. I added FBV to it and it was all good. Actually, an FBV sharpening is probably the best bang for the buck in improving skate performance, more so than losing 10-15 grams off the skate.

I absolutely agree - I also love the fit and feel of the KOR Shift 1's and they're about 800grams. An extra 50 grams isn't a lot especially if they're more durable than the shift 1's over the long term. My tendon guard issues with the Shift 1's would certainly be easily fixed with the MLX skates since they have replaceable tendon guards. Hopefully the toe and boot won't start to seperate either. It's still quite the price point for a skate you can't try on in person unless you're in certain areas. The current price combined with the lack of half sizes would keep me away for now, but it's good to see other options are out there for when my KOR stock pile is depleted (probably still a couple years away from that happening) - right now the TotalOnes I tried at the Summer Jam would have to be the front runners, but I'll certainly monitor the feedback on these. I also agree that the right FBV cut would have more impact than a few grams.

After 2 hours of stick and puck and 2 games I can't really speak to everything about this skate but a few things did become noticeable.

Protection, I took a pretty good shot to the foot and it really felt like getting hit in the shinguard as opposed to getting hit in the foot.

The shock was spread over a larger area and did not hurt.

Initial impression on the ice was, "I'm not sure I'm going to love these" They were comfortable but I just didn't feel nimble. Then I realized they were so well fitted and stiff that I needed to loosen them up a bit. I untied them flexed my foot forward and retied them. That did the trick. I immediately felt like they were lighter and my agility went up significantly. The forward and to a lesser degree, rear flex is significantly better than any skate I've been on.

During the couple of games I really didn't even think about them. That speaks to the comfort of a new pair of skates.

I do notice these skates don't respond well to lazy skating. When I skated hard they responded really well. Almost reminds me of a sport bike, at low speed just kind of there, at full throttle, you realize things are working as advertised.

I'm not sure a weak (strength or skill) skater would like these. I expect that the stronger the skater the more this skate will shine.

My only complaint at this point is having to tighten the blade holder every time I use them. I'll put thread lock on them tomorrow. Putting them on and taking them off is more like getting ski boots on and off than a pair of skates. That seems to be a combination of the fit and the stiffness of part of the boot.

I'll do a final review with 1 - 10 ratings in a couple weeks. I want to put 10 or 15 games on them.

For those of you interested in the steel quality, I just finished radiusing and sharpening a pair. First impression was, wow, these are just like the Pitch3, in terms of quality and hardness. Looks like a it will hold an edge for a long time. Also, the stock toe/heel radius has a nice "shaved/feather", so transistioning from older steel to this new steel should be very east without catching the toe or grabbing on the heels.

I've got 6 games on mine now. The edge held well until last night then it just seemed to disappear.

I was surprised to have them go from nice to 'Oh crap what just happened?' in one shift.

Of course the sharpening job I got at the LHS was fairly poor. I've got someone lined up to spend some time getting them setup this weekend.

The loctite on the holder screws solved the problem with them loosening up.

One of the guys on my team looked at them last night and said "Um...why is there a screw in the toe of your skate? In fact what the hell kind of skate is that?"

I've got 6 games on mine now. The edge held well until last night then it just seemed to disappear.

I was surprised to have them go from nice to 'Oh crap what just happened?' in one shift.

Of course the sharpening job I got at the LHS was fairly poor. I've got someone lined up to spend some time getting them setup this weekend.

The loctite on the holder screws solved the problem with them loosening up.

One of the guys on my team looked at them last night and said "Um...why is there a screw in the toe of your skate? In fact what the hell kind of skate is that?"

Yea, the screw pattern is kind of weird with the front and back screws very close to the front and rear, but I don't think it will be a problem.

As an update. I've a few more games on these. I've noticed occasionally that my balance seems off while doing low speed maneuvers like scrambling for the puck in the corner and in front of the net. I also noticed I was able to turn right better than left.

I sent MLX an email asking about this thinking perhaps the blade holder wasn't set up right. They can be adjusted.

Dave Cruikshank (CEO) replied personally. He asked a few questions about my skating experience, age, injuries, etc. After a couple of e-mails he called me and spent 10 minutes talking with me about the hows and whys of blade setup. The guy seemed to really want my skates and my experience to be perfect.

I made an adjustment at his recommendation and will skate on them again this weekend.

The skates remain the most comfortable I've ever worn, to those that are concerned about not being able to try them on, they really have to be baked so trying on a pair in a store will not give you any idea about fit. I did have to make a small adjustment for a hot spot on my left boot. Three minutes and a heat gun solved the problem.

I don't mind tinkering so making adjustments is not a big deal. If you want them perfect out of the box, I expect you should give these a pass.

They truly are unforgiving of lazy skating. I would not recommend them to a novice player.

That's a lot of money for skates :( Unless they make me skate like I'm an A-Leaguer I couldn't see investing that much money. Maybe if they had a lower end model.

I sold my custom one95s so i could buy these. i was disappointed at first because of the weight, didn't matter once i found my perfect bure-like stride lol

Well, pulled the trigger and ordered a pair. Emailed in, got some feedback, went ahead and measured myself up and placed an order for a size 7. Ships on the 1st of November, and it was only $20 more for next day air so I opted for that. Total cost to me was $451.05. Not a bad deal. Was going to get another pair of S15's for $399 + shipping, so these were only a touch more expensive.

Needless to say, I'm super excited to give these a try. Having worked in a shop for a few years, the adjustments I may or may not need to make will be pretty simple and straight forward for me to do.

My guess is they're going to pull that code soon, but they must not have enough orders coming in so they probably want to get their product out there a little more easily, and having a 50% of code is the perfect way to do that for a week or two. Regardless, I am stoked!

Agreed, just pulled the trigger as well. Hopefully they mold to my high volume, duck feet. I guess ill find out in less then a week... 425 dollars shipped is a pretty damn good deal, well hopefully it will be.

Card was charged for the correct amount. Looks like they're going to be honoring that discount code. Sahweet.