Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

The 2010-2011 Suspension Thread

i appreciate cammalleri defending himself if El Niño actually tried to hurt him - but shouldn't someone else from montreal have tried to stick up for cammalleri instead of the star having to do it himself?

i appreciate cammalleri defending himself if El Niño actually tried to hurt him - but shouldn't someone else from montreal tried to stick up for cammalleri instead of the star having to do it himself?

I hate the expectation that someone else will resolve the situation for you. I respect Cammi for going after the guy and not expecting someone to take care of him.

i always think it's better for the player to deal with it themselves - i'm just wondering if something may have been said after the game by montreal brass about him being too valuable to the team to have to do that. kind of like how they asked ted leonsis what he thought of ovechkin getting in his first fight. yesterday when carolina played SKA there were multiple fights when players kept going after staal's knees. i'd kind of like to see how bad of an elbow nino threw - was there even enough time for someone else to jump in or did cammy flip out immediately?

I don't think there was too much time between Nino's head shot) attempted anyway, and Cammy's freak out. I don't get why Nino didnt man up and fight when Cammy was going after him, instead he turns his back like a bitch and then drops like a fly when he eats the slash. He probably woulda beat the shit out of Cammy but at least it would have ended there. If you're gonna try to take someone's head off, at least have the guts to fight him afterwards. Not that I woulda liked to see Cammy get his ass handed to him but at least he was trying to be a man about it...at first anyway.

i always think it's better for the player to deal with it themselves - i'm just wondering if something may have been said after the game by montreal brass about him being too valuable to the team to have to do that. kind of like how they asked ted leonsis what he thought of ovechkin getting in his first fight. yesterday when carolina played SKA there were multiple fights when players kept going after staal's knees. i'd kind of like to see how bad of an elbow nino threw - was there even enough time for someone else to jump in or did cammy flip out immediately?

The elbow wasn't a big deal...noy even that much contact...but Nino is a rookie and bigger than Cammy...I think he took exception to the attempted high hit and went back at him.

Good for Nino? A rookie throws a questionable hit at a veteran and then refuses to answer said veteran's offer followed by dropping like he'd been shot on a soft chop to the leg. How exactly is that "good for nino"?

it didnt look like a soft chop. and I think Cammi was going over the top about the hit, on no replay does it look like nino is head hunting, or the hit is dirty.. Nino was finishing a hit, its not his fault that he's 6'4 and cammi is 5'8

but i'll take whatever abuse is thrown my way arguing that case.

Edit: awful grammar.

Good for Nino? A rookie throws a questionable hit at a veteran and then refuses to answer said veteran's offer followed by dropping like he'd been shot on a soft chop to the leg. How exactly is that "good for nino"?

I've not heard one comment from anyone in the media about nino's hit being "questionable". I heard blindside, but not a head shot. blindside hits are fair ball. the dude is big, he laid a hit on a star player. there's nothing wrong with that. hitting is part of the game, just because you lay a guy out doesn't mean you have to drop the gloves or "answer to him". your only responsibility after doing something that creates that much attention is to play your best and be sure to not put yourself in a position to have an equal or harder hit returned to you. if cammi had acted like a well rounded veteran, he'd be playing in his season opener against their bitter rivals, but he took it like a spoiled child and now he's missing a bunch of cash and his first game.

I'm sick of people thinking that if one player lands a devastating hit on another player that they have to drop the gloves. if it's dirty, yes, understood. but clean hit? man up and wait for your chance to even the score fairly.

its not his fault that he's 6'4 and cammi is 5'8

Regardless of situation, It's the hitters responsibility to make sure he hits the other guy in the chest. So yes, it is his fault.

I've not heard one comment from anyone in the media about nino's hit being "questionable". I heard blindside, but not a head shot. blindside hits are fair ball. the dude is big, he laid a hit on a star player. there's nothing wrong with that. hitting is part of the game, just because you lay a guy out doesn't mean you have to drop the gloves or "answer to him". your only responsibility after doing something that creates that much attention is to play your best and be sure to not put yourself in a position to have an equal or harder hit returned to you. if cammi had acted like a well rounded veteran, he'd be playing in his season opener against their bitter rivals, but he took it like a spoiled child and now he's missing a bunch of cash and his first game.

I'm sick of people thinking that if one player lands a devastating hit on another player that they have to drop the gloves. if it's dirty, yes, understood. but clean hit? man up and wait for your chance to even the score fairly.

I suggest you watch the replay, you can find it on TSN.com in the game highlights, that hit that Nino tried to throw on Cammalleri looked an awful lot like the kind of blindside hit that the league is trying to get rid of. If I'm Cammalleri and someone throws that hit at me, a rookie in a preseason game no less, and I am going to offer that kid to answer for it.

buddy what are you talking about? the nhl wants to get rid of blindside head shots, not bodychecks.

they want to get rid of guys slashing other guys in the face, and they want guys to use their sticks for playing the puck, not intimidation or retaliation.

this is the clip found on the habs message board. 5 seconds. doesnt show cammi retaliating (of course), just the hit. which is cleaner than usain bolt's urine.

lets face it, people (including michael) are upset because a rookie laid out a vet in a "blowout" game. not just any vet, a habs vet. end of story.

I'm guessing you didn't see Nino's shoulder come up at impact so you're story needs to be abridged. Hey, I'm no Hab lover by any stretch of the imagination. People are upset because this type of hit gets no attention unless Cammalleri gets rolled out on a stretcher.

I think that they are trying to get rid of blind side hits as a whole because you don't need to get the head to cause serious injury to a player. That blow out game is the Islanders fault and possibly the NHL's fault that's it that's all. How you get a team to play two games on the same night is beyond me. Then you get what happened that game. A blow out, rookies, some of which will never be back in the NHL, trying to settle the score their way. Nino's hit may not have been intentional but he still should have maned up and fight Cammalleri who did everything he could to get the kid to fight him. What the hell was the kid afraid of? Than at the face off you get one of the Isles goon going after Eller and the doorknob going after Spacek. WTF?? It's not like Montreal sent Alex Henry against a rookie or another player who has never fought. Cammy tried to take care of things himself and Niederreiter was too much of a chicken shit to face the music. On top of that he goes down like a soccer player after Cammalleri slashed him which IMO wasn't much of a slash to begin with. Keep in mind that Cammalleri was injured on a similar play last year when he went flying into the board after being hit more or less the same way.

It has nothing to do with being a Habs fan, being the Habs, being in Canada, being in Quebec or whatever. It has to do with a rookie that threw a hit that could have had bad consequences on a star player in an exhibition game. That's a no no. Things would be no different if it was Kessel, Lecavalier or Crosby instead of Cammalleri.

I'm guessing you didn't see Nino's shoulder come up at impact so you're story needs to be abridged. Hey, I'm no Hab lover by any stretch of the imagination. People are upset because this type of hit gets no attention unless Cammalleri gets rolled out on a stretcher.

whatever. it wasnt a head shot.

I think that they are trying to get rid of blind side hits as a whole because you don't need to get the head to cause serious injury to a player. That blow out game is the Islanders fault and possibly the NHL's fault that's it that's all. How you get a team to play two games on the same night is beyond me. Then you get what happened that game. A blow out, rookies, some of which will never be back in the NHL, trying to settle the score their way. Nino's hit may not have been intentional but he still should have maned up and fight Cammalleri who did everything he could to get the kid to fight him. What the hell was the kid afraid of? Than at the face off you get one of the Isles goon going after Eller and the doorknob going after Spacek. WTF?? It's not like Montreal sent Alex Henry against a rookie or another player who has never fought. Cammy tried to take care of things himself and Niederreiter was too much of a chicken shit to face the music. On top of that he goes down like a soccer player after Cammalleri slashed him which IMO wasn't much of a slash to begin with. Keep in mind that Cammalleri was injured on a similar play last year when he went flying into the board after being hit more or less the same way.

It has nothing to do with being a Habs fan, being the Habs, being in Canada, being in Quebec or whatever. It has to do with a rookie that threw a hit that could have had bad consequences on a star player in an exhibition game. That's a no no. Things would be no different if it was Kessel, Lecavalier or Crosby instead of Cammalleri.

blindside hits will never leave the game. hockey is 360 degrees. it will never happen. the only way blindside hits will go away is if the game slows (and then it would just be a by product), which it clearly will not. and what exactly makes you think that type of hit needs to be followed up with a fight? physical play doesnt mean "be ready to fight if you lay the body on someone". again, as i already mentioned, i can understand that one needs to answer the bell if they lay out a player (of any calibre) with a dirty hit.. but c'mon, now chippa is arguing that he articulated his shoulder downward a bit. well f***, it still didnt hit his head, it was direct, all momentum, and shoulder on shoulder. cammi didnt even fall all the way down. he was embarassed that he got played by a skilled rookie. thats all. its all ego guys.

Downward? I said his shoulder came UP, toward Cammalleri's head. Normal physical play does not need to be answered, borderline and stuff like this blindside hit does. If that was a shoulder on shoulder hit then I suggest you get your eyes examined.

As for the cursing, kids of all ages peruse these pages.

firstly, apologies for the swearing, and for erroneously writing that you said downward. i knew you said upward, no idea why i wrote that. we can discuss this over and over again, but i just don't see anything wrong with it. i've played hockey my entire life and i've always had a physical element to my game. if i hit someone i always expected to be hit back later, and if i ever threw/witnessed/was victim to a dirty hit, i was the first one to step up. was willie mitchell's hit on jon toews a blindside? yes. was it within the rules of the game? yes. it imposed more damage and caused less media attention.

like i originally said, i like cammi as a player. i've been a fan of nino since i watched him in the WJC and i think he's going to be a great nhl player. i think what cammi did in retaliation to the hit was a bit immature and a little egotistical, thats all. i understand that there is a heirarchy in the nhl, but just because you see an opportunity to remove a player from the puck doesn't mean you shouldn't do it based on 1. the type of game it is 2. the type of player carrying the puck and 3. the type of player you are in relation to the puck carrier. furthermore, just because you bring a physical element to the game doesnt mean you are required to drop the gloves upon request.

Well it should only be getting attention if someone is injured. I don't see a problem with a blindside if no one is hurt. It's all about being aware of your surroundings and he put his head down right before he got hit. If Camm is gonna cry about it maybe he should pick a different sport...

Yes that's exactly why guys are getting their heads bashed in...because they aren't "aware of their surroundings". Not because of morons that are head hunting.

:facepalm:

Well it should only be getting attention if someone is injured. I don't see a problem with a blindside if no one is hurt. It's all about being aware of your surroundings and he put his head down right before he got hit. If Camm is gonna cry about it maybe he should pick a different sport...

Ok, so if I understand this right then you have no problems with boarding, hitting from behind, cross checks to the face as long as no one gets hurt right? Your post doesn't make any sense. I agree that players should keep their heads up and be aware of their surroundings as much as possible but it's called a blind side hit for a reason.

Anyone see Travis Moen suckerpunch Erik Gudbranson?

I haven't. Was there any call on the play? If not, then the refs missed out on that one. Moen should at least have been called and/or have had to answer to an enforcer or someone else on the Panthers side for sure. Although I understand Cammalleri's reaction, I do not condone it. Wanting to fight Niederreiter is one thing. Putting a stick to his face, cross checking him and slashing him no matter how hard these actions were, it was uncalled for and deserved to be suspended.

Ok, so if I understand this right then you have no problems with boarding, hitting from behind, cross checks to the face as long as no one gets hurt right?

At least we know that Colin Campbell is a member here now.