Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caz

Worst and Best Commentators

We have two polar opposites, Mike Lange being among the best and Paul Steigerwald being among the worst. Lange not for the catch phrases but his ability to let the game breathe. Even on the radio he doesn't attempt to describe every single pass and play, you end up connecting the dots in your head. That I think is difficult to do. Steigerwald....for a guy who has been around the game so long his lack of basic understanding of fundamental concepts is mindblowing.

It sounds like Versus picked up the CSN Chicago broadcast team, with Pat Foley doing play-by-play. I like him, but he's not that good at describing details of gameplay. Of course, there's not as much need for that on TV as on radio. Good radio announcers are incredibly hard to find for almost any sport, and seemingly impossible to find working for networks.

Foley is awesome. He knows he's on TV, he knows his role as an announcer and doesn't over do it. I've also heard the guy do a radio call and he's as good as they get with the radio as well. What I love about Pat and Eddie is they can be a very entertaining pair. When the home team is down and out of the game they will go into comedy mode and you'll still keep watching the game to hear what they come up with.

As far as Eddie, he's great. Somebody said he watched him waltz over to yell at his son on the bench...I'm not sure how you could have witnessed that since he would have been on the bench if he was at the game considering he's been the assistant coach of that kids teams for a long period of time now. At the level he plays at if he did something that deserves a yelling then well, you're gonna get it at that level.

I've met Eddie a few times around town and he's always great to the fans, one time we were talking and my wedding came up and he took my name down and said he'll give us a shout out on the air at the next game following the wedding date. I didn't think much of it figuring he had good intentions but wouldn't remember since it was several weeks down the line but sure enough that game rolled around and he gave us the shout out.

I'm also one of the Doc fans here but I can see how he could be a bit much if you are just a casual hockey fan. JR is another favorite just because he's not afraid to tell it how it is and I'm also in the group that hates Pierre. I've listened to a few broadcasts around the country but have no other real experience other than thinking I'm pretty lucky to have Pat & Eddie O when I hear what some of the other cities have to deal with.

I like them the best, too, especially because they're from here. I just wish Pat wouldn't get so into his background material at times that he doesn't even say that there's a penalty, and what it's for. When they don't put it on the screen, either, I don't known until I check on the computer.

JR is a good studio guy but man did he get fat!

I thought that too until I met him a few weeks back, It's gotta be a combo of the suites and TV because in person he still looks very athletic, not anywhere near his playing weight but not anywhere what the TV makes him look either.

Foley is awesome. He knows he's on TV, he knows his role as an announcer and doesn't over do it. I've also heard the guy do a radio call and he's as good as they get with the radio as well. What I love about Pat and Eddie is they can be a very entertaining pair. When the home team is down and out of the game they will go into comedy mode and you'll still keep watching the game to hear what they come up with.

As far as Eddie, he's great. Somebody said he watched him waltz over to yell at his son on the bench...I'm not sure how you could have witnessed that since he would have been on the bench if he was at the game considering he's been the assistant coach of that kids teams for a long period of time now. At the level he plays at if he did something that deserves a yelling then well, you're gonna get it at that level.

I've met Eddie a few times around town and he's always great to the fans, one time we were talking and my wedding came up and he took my name down and said he'll give us a shout out on the air at the next game following the wedding date. I didn't think much of it figuring he had good intentions but wouldn't remember since it was several weeks down the line but sure enough that game rolled around and he gave us the shout out.

I'm also one of the Doc fans here but I can see how he could be a bit much if you are just a casual hockey fan. JR is another favorite just because he's not afraid to tell it how it is and I'm also in the group that hates Pierre. I've listened to a few broadcasts around the country but have no other real experience other than thinking I'm pretty lucky to have Pat & Eddie O when I hear what some of the other cities have to deal with.

Pat is a lot like Doc, with his stories. The Karpotsev rant is epic, one of the all time best honest moments by an announcer.

I grew up with Pat and can agree he can be one of the best radio guys around. Him and Eddie are great together. They have good chemistry and are both knowledgeable. I do like the homer a bit but overall stay pretty objective about the game. Some of Pats goal calls are pretty awesome.

Couple of his calls that are pretty funny (to me):

Kenny Albert is great PBP on the radio, and Dave Maloney is honest to a fault as his color partner. Not at all afraid to call it like he sees it. (NYR)

I grew up with Pat and can agree he can be one of the best radio guys around. Him and Eddie are great together. They have good chemistry and are both knowledgeable. I do like the homer a bit but overall stay pretty objective about the game. Some of Pats goal calls are pretty awesome.

I like the fact that they will admit the Hawks got the benefit of a bad call or that someone on the team actually committed a penalty. They very rarely complain about the officials, even when they would have grounds to do so. It's actually a fairly neutral call.

Brian "Homer" Hayward for the Ducks has to be the worst ever. There isn't anyone quicker to pass judgement on a play before watching a replay than him. I can't tell you how many times I've heard him say, "Wow, I can't believe a penatly wasn't called on {insert players name} for running the goalie" When it was clear that a defenseman forced that player into the Ducks goalie. He is such a homer that he couldn't even admit that the Kings were playing solid in last years playoffs when he was doing his stint on NBC. Every time the Kings did something good wasn't because they executed the play well, it was because the Nucks, Blues, etc. did something bad.

Brian "Homer" Hayward for the Ducks has to be the worst ever. There isn't anyone quicker to pass judgement on a play before watching a replay than him. I can't tell you how many times I've heard him say, "Wow, I can't believe a penatly wasn't called on {insert players name} for running the goalie" When it was clear that a defenseman forced that player into the Ducks goalie. He is such a homer that he couldn't even admit that the Kings were playing solid in last years playoffs when he was doing his stint on NBC. Every time the Kings did something good wasn't because they executed the play well, it was because the Nucks, Blues, etc. did something bad.

Haha - Thank you!! I was saying the exact same thing after the Hawks/Ducks game. All my friends say I have commentator bias but I really don't. I don't even mind a little homer(ism) from the home team commentators. I usually enjoy a little for my favorite teams so I never give judgement when getting an away feed. But Hayward was brutal for the last Ducks/Hawks game. And I was really enjoying the game and he just kept taking away from it. Every time a Blackhawk player was pushed into Hiller he would say how surprised he was a penalty wasn't called. Well, it wasn't a penalty because the defenseman pushed the player into the goaltender. His commentating "rhythm" is also hard for me to follow.

Don't forget his call on Seabrook selling being hit in the head a season or two back....

http://youtu.be/o8vhXmCwt5w

And I really enjoy listening to Doc and Eddie during the national NBC broadcasts. Doc can really get you into a play and the way he holds his excited tone of voice through a whole game is incredible. I've heard him call some relatively boring games as if they were end-to-end / edge of your seat type games. Then you have the other side of Eddie who brings the "teaching" aspect to the color commentary and in between whistle stuff is nice. It is their job to make the casual hockey fan feel included and entertained. Both do a good job of doing that.

Any Bruins fans notice Jack Edwards has dialed it down a bit this year? He must be taking his meds or something. While I still find his voice and announcing style grating, It seems like there is significantly less "WTF?" Per game than in years past.

Pat is a lot like Doc, with his stories. The Karpotsev rant is epic, one of the all time best honest moments by an announcer.

Here is the only youtube clip I could find of the rant. . .pretty entertaining. Pat typically tells it how he sees it.

Don't forget his call on Seabrook selling being hit in the head a season or two back....

http://youtu.be/o8vhXmCwt5w

I remember that hit, Seabrook looked out instantly. I hadn't heard this audio, since we had the Chicago guys on our TV coverage.

Here is the only youtube clip I could find of the rant. . .pretty entertaining. Pat typically tells it how he sees it.

I hadn't heard that before. Knowing how Foley is, it must have really taken something to get him to go off like that.

Any Bruins fans notice Jack Edwards has dialed it down a bit this year? He must be taking his meds or something. While I still find his voice and announcing style grating, It seems like there is significantly less "WTF?" Per game than in years past.

I haven't seen a big difference this year. If anything he & Brickley have had a few Remy & Orsillo (Red Sox Announcers) moments. Start going back and forth with stories that has nothing to do with the game.

I would be much happier with the Bruins radio team of Bob Beers & Dave Goucher.

I honestly hate Pay Foley and Eddie O. Watching a CSN broadcast of them as a non-Hawks fan is unbearable. Every 2 mins they do a shoutout to the "biggest Hawks fan." I'd say alot of Atlantic Division teams have terrible homer announcers. I'll admit the Pens TV ones are awful but Mike Lange and Phil Bourque are pretty good and non-biased.

I shudder at the thought of Doc calling this Sunday's game and hearing about all the "swagger moves" being made.

I honestly hate Pay Foley and Eddie O. Watching a CSN broadcast of them as a non-Hawks fan is unbearable. Every 2 mins they do a shoutout to the "biggest Hawks fan." I'd say alot of Atlantic Division teams have terrible homer announcers. I'll admit the Pens TV ones are awful but Mike Lange and Phil Bourque are pretty good and non-biased.

The "shoutout" thing is driven by corporate decisions far above their heads. Lange was terrible the last decade or so that he was on TV and I am shocked to hear someone say that he isn't biased.

Agreed... A lot of the things Pat and Eddie have to do are Corporate/Marketing driven. Pay more attention to their in game calling/conversations and make an oppinion based on that. That would be more of the form they have control over.

Lange has not been terrible in the last decade. He had a couple years he was losing it, supposedly imbibing a bit much, but he has certainly regained most of what he once had. Bias is different from pulling for the home team. Steigerwald is biased, Lange is a home team commentator.