Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flashyprince

Best hockey tape?

i dont like using wax, thats why i wanted a grippy tape, will try that howies! will have to order online i've never seen that brand around Montreal!

Comp-o-stick its hard to rip but the adhesive is pretty good and the cloth doesn't tear on your blade

i taped my stick with that last week, and this was by far the shittiest tape i've used lol

i might order a 30roll of howies and test it out!

that's like saying "I'm going to buy 3 boxes of xyz wine in order to taste it!"

and I hate the 3m tape by the way, it rips too easily doesn't stick as much and always leaves a good amount of residue on the blade, the upside is that it's cheap...

I use Renfrew, but that's mainly because it's what most shops in the area carry. Their cloth tape is decent. I have a weird obsession with their clear tape, it's by far the best shin tape I've ever used.

the 3m hockey tape is the best in my opinion

I find the white 3M tape to be really sticky, it's great, but for some reason, the black stuff is very weak, it falls off my stick as soon as it gets wet.

Regular old Renfrew white + wax = win.

No need for the gimmicky tacki pads and pre-cut tapes.

I agree that Renfrew (Made in Canada, Black/Gold roll) is is the best tape out there right now.

I remember a few years ago here on MSH that Comp-O-Stik was pretty hyped up, but I could never find it. Just recently I saw it available at Ice Warehouse so I picked up a couple rolls to try. Big mistake. Compared to the Renfrew it is thinner, not as abrasive (less friction), and has less adhesion. I couldn't wait for those two rolls to be gone.

pDSP1-10380671p275w.jpg

I prefer Renfrew tape; seems very durable, has some texture to it and is very adhesive. I bought a roll of black tape from my LHS and they had Comp-O-Stik, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's definitely different than the Renfrew that I'm used to; it does not have the same texture like Renfrew and feels smooth to the touch. I've only been to one stick and puck with it (it seemed fine), but I'll see how it fairs over the next few weeks/months.

Don't like Renfew, love Lowry, tape the entire blade and use a scissor for the tips to make it neat. And to finish it off, some sex wax.(my fav wax) Howies is good too, i've just never been a fan of renfrew.

Only tape I will use is the renfrew stuff, just one of those superstition things that started in HS because the shop i worked in gave us a tape allotment to use

I've used Howie's for a few years now, the 15 clear / 15 white roll box is always one of my gifts under the Christmas tree every year from the wife. The sock tape is ok, it does the job, but the white tape is excellent. I can play a whole game and never have to worry about the tape fraying and coming undone on the bottom of the blade.

+1 on Howies. I bought a big box and have had it for at least 5 years and the glue doesn't degrade over time. Tape is strong with right amount texture.

I hated the 1" Renfrew tape. The edges would stick to the roll and it would become a big mess.I have only used 1" tape from Renfrew so I

don't know if that is just a by-product of the 1" size or specific to Renfrew. Half inch Howies black seems to work

pretty good for me, but Howies clear shin tape is not as good as Renfrew shin tape in my opinion. So to throw in another question, who

starts taping at the heel and who starts at the tip?

So to throw in another question, who

starts taping at the heel and who starts at the tip?

There are already plenty of topics about taping techniques, we really don't need another one.

Sportstape is the best by far...like butter

Damn truth.

As for clear, I used to like Andover back when we sold it in MI; it was SILENT, defeating those tape hogs who never buy their own and hear you taping your shins down and ask to borrow the roll...