Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ndlancer95

Sweat Pool in Chin Cup

Got a question about what some of you do for your chin cups regarding sweat. I never have facial acne until hockey season and it is caused by my sweat that gets locked in my the chin cup of my helmet. Does anyone have a solution to soak up the sweat and keep it in or just eliminate the sweat pooling? I have an idea, which is putting a facial scrub pad in the chin cup. If you don't know what i mean, http://www.amazon.com/Clearasil-Ultra-Rapid-Action-Pads/dp/B0012MXUEI It is a cleansing pad that cleans the pores and I'm thinking that it could work at cleaning the pores immediately as the sweat gets in or avoid the pooling. Thanks in advance

I don't think those pads would stay in place, or reduce the pooling of sweat. Those pads are already saturated with their cleansing agent, and won't do much for absorbsion. I've seen NFL players cut towels and wrap the chin cup with that. Should do the trick with the sweat.

I don't think those pads would stay in place, or reduce the pooling of sweat. Those pads are already saturated with their cleansing agent, and won't do much for absorbsion. I've seen NFL players cut towels and wrap the chin cup with that. Should do the trick with the sweat.

I'll try that my next time on the ice, thanks

Get the wide arm bands that baseball players wear. It might be too thick...but if you cut the seam to separate it and only use half the thickness it should work.

What about using a headband... chances are the sweat is coming down your face and into the cup, so a sweatband might minimise the pooling somewhat.

When I played football I (and many others I knew) would take terry cloth wristbands and slide them over the chincups. A lil turf when most hockey chins aren't removable, but it would work well otherwise.

Or maybe a chamois cloth like the Sham wow or something should do the trick.

How come no one suggests drilling a hole in the middle of the chin cup, i havent used a cage in years but i took a hot nail and pushed it through the middle of the chin cup and cut the excess build up that would have contacted my chin, instant drain, haseks chin cup on his helmet had it too, of course his came with it set

All great ideas, I'll try them all but ThinkingJack's sounds like it would do the job. I'll try that one this weekend then

How come no one suggests drilling a hole in the middle of the chin cup, i havent used a cage in years but i took a hot nail and pushed it through the middle of the chin cup and cut the excess build up that would have contacted my chin, instant drain, haseks chin cup on his helmet had it too, of course his came with it set

You beat me to this! I Was just going to suggest this! A few on my league have a hole as well in there chin cup.

What kind of cage do you have? You might have luck if you upgrade your chin cup to something like what comes on the Bauer 9900 cages. Never had a problem with any buildup with that one.

Or of course, a 3/16" drill bit should do the trick...

I'm not a Doc or Dermatologist (you should probably ask one) but my understanding is that sweat does not cause acne. In fact sweat helps to rinse out the pores of the "gunk" that does cause acne. So maybe what's happening is the sweat from all over your face is pooling in the chin cup where it evaporates and leaves behind all the acne causing "gunk". If I were you I'd replace the chin cup, drill a drain hole in the new one and then routinely clean the chin cup with warm water and a mild soap (like dove).

Had the same problem with "chin rash" - purchased the shock doctor chin cup - cleared most of it up - tried several different cups - ITECH chin cup - Bauer chin cup all had foam that absorbed the sweat and gave me a rash - Shock doctor has a small felt liner that does absorb the sweat but doesn't give the 'allergic reaction' to my sensitive skin??? works well - about $20 on ebay - replacement liners are ~$10

I'm not a Doc or Dermatologist (you should probably ask one) but my understanding is that sweat does not cause acne. In fact sweat helps to rinse out the pores of the "gunk" that does cause acne. So maybe what's happening is the sweat from all over your face is pooling in the chin cup where it evaporates and leaves behind all the acne causing "gunk". If I were you I'd replace the chin cup, drill a drain hole in the new one and then routinely clean the chin cup with warm water and a mild soap (like dove).

Bacteria causes acne, wash out the cup with soap antibacterial soap and dry it, this will help you considerably.

You beat me to this! I Was just going to suggest this! A few on my league have a hole as well in there chin cup.

haha, i read the first post and by the second i was already thinking how come no one said it, good idea on the guys in your league, and its not always about just acne, its bacterial build up. For cleaning it i would honestly say mild water, or normal hot i guess, whatever, and use disinfectant soap, you wanna clean it, to me dove soap leaves this weird film, or maybe its just me, stupid skin!

I had a problem like this in my teens. I bought a Bauer True Vision cage as an alternative cage. The chin cup had a Dri-Fit liner and I immediately noticed an improvement. The chin cup was always quite dry (slightly moist at the worst) and my acne was greatly reduced.

Keep some oxy pads in your hockey bag and wipe out your chincup after every skate. I also got into the habit of rinsing my face off as soon as I was done playing. Showering isn't an option at a lot of rinks I skate at, but rinsing my face in the sink is.

I've had a problem similar to this lately. I've been playing without a visor for awhile, but after an incident in a men's league game where I was half an inch away from losing an eye I put it back on. Ever since then, (a month?) I've gotten acne on my forehead because I can't wipe sweat off as easily as I could without any facial protection.

Guess I should just start washing my face after?