Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

What radius are you on and how long have you been in the current skates?

When I switched from stock Mako steel to Step (with +2 overall from +3), the first few times I transitioned from front to back, I often caught the rear part of my runner on the ice. I got used to it after about 10 minutes.

Edited by z1ggy

I just feel like I have to much steel in the back of my skate and every once and awhile I get it caught when transitioning from forward to backward skating

You will get this feeling if the holder/steel is pitched too far forward for your preference. When you try to rock your foot back as you normally prefer there will be holder/steel blocking your heel from getting down toward the ice.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2016 at 6:06 PM, althoma1 said:

If they're only a bit tight with some mild pressure then the D width should be fine after a bake as the Makos are very responsive to heat. If they feel like your foot is being squeezed by a vice then you might want to go with the wider size. I have them in EE myself, but have a very wide forefoot and need EE in most brands. If you usually wear a D in most skates then you'll likely need a D in Makos as well.

I need some help from the MSH guru's.  I have read through posts like the one from above, but I still need some direction.  Here is my story:

My daughter has progressed through skates from Vapor, to Supreme, to RBZ, to Nexus due to her foot getting wider as she grew.  I live in an area where the limited LHS's only carry D widths, so we didn't try Vapor, or Supreme in EE, we just moved up to a wider, and deeper boot.  (She is pretty picky and wants to try on before she buys, and I like to support the stores, so we did not try on line.)  The Nexus fits her fairly well, about the only one that can handle her volume, but she is feels that the boot is too "clunky and stiff".

My question is, what if we tried Makos?  I am guessing we would have to go to an EE Mako, from a D Nexus, correct?  A D Mako wouldn't be wide enough, or deep enough, correct?

I have a EEE foot, and wear the Mako 2's comfortably. Supreme EE's work for me, and so do the Nexxus, but neither is near as comfortable as my Mako's. There are going to be some on here who say no way the Mako is going to fit, but I can tell you the skate can really accommodate a lot of foot sizes. Definitely try the EE, and make sure you heat the skate properly before you make any decisions. I can't even get my foot in the boot prior to heating, but afterwards it is like they were custom made for them. I know Hockey Monkey allows a 15 day return, and Mako is still advertising their 30 day trial period, but who knows with the recent Bauer buyout.

What Nexus is she in now? Perhaps a different skate in the Nexus line would have a slightly softer boot, and be more conducive to her skating style. The softer boots tend to be the less expensive ones also. Stiff boots are not for everyone.

Not advocating against the Makos, just trying to offer a different option if that doesn't work out.

My feet are slightly wide, but I don't normally wear wide shoes. I wore at 7.5 Nexus that felt pretty good and then went to a 7.5 EE Mako 2 that felt comfortable. But I did not get that magical feeling that most users on this thread have. I like my Makos, but I'm not stocking up on them with the discontinuation.  I tried a 7.5D Mako in the store and after baking it still felt a little too tight.

On 3/2/2016 at 7:15 PM, Albert1754 said:

My feet are slightly wide, but I don't normally wear wide shoes. I wore at 7.5 Nexus that felt pretty good and then went to a 7.5 EE Mako 2 that felt comfortable. But I did not get that magical feeling that most users on this thread have. I like my Makos, but I'm not stocking up on them with the discontinuation.  I tried a 7.5D Mako in the store and after baking it still felt a little too tight.

This was very helpful, thank you.  My daughter doesn't wear wide shoes either, which I always thought was odd when she needs a wider skate.

As for that magical feeling, my son has worn Makos for over three years, and loves them.  However, he never had that magical feeling either.  He just plainly states that Makos fit him better than any other skate that he has tried.  He loves the moldability and the "wrap" of the skate around his feet.  I have the old MLXs, and although comfortable, not magical to me either.

I think a lot of it has to do with what someones experience has been with fitting and baking skates.  If you have not had good experiences, or dealt with a store that knows how to correctly fit and bake skates, then going to Makos would be magical.  If you had great experiences with fitting and baking, then Makos may just be an improvement, and not a big jump.  No doubt that the MLX - Mako - VH materials and construction can make a difference.

2 hours ago, talkintothemike said:

This was very helpful, thank you.  My daughter doesn't wear wide shoes either, which I always thought was odd when she needs a wider skate.

As for that magical feeling, my son has worn Makos for over three years, and loves them.  However, he never had that magical feeling either.  He just plainly states that Makos fit him better than any other skate that he has tried.  He loves the moldability and the "wrap" of the skate around his feet.  I have the old MLXs, and although comfortable, not magical to me either.

I think a lot of it has to do with what someones experience has been with fitting and baking skates.  If you have not had good experiences, or dealt with a store that knows how to correctly fit and bake skates, then going to Makos would be magical.  If you had great experiences with fitting and baking, then Makos may just be an improvement, and not a big jump.  No doubt that the MLX - Mako - VH materials and construction can make a difference.

But have you or your son tried wearing your old skates again? Sometimes that's what it takes to notice and appreciate the improvement of the MLX - Mako - VH skates.

Hey has anyone had any rivet issues with their mako 2? I am starting to notice mine getting a little loose. Is this the first sign of the beginning of the end of the skate lol?

2 hours ago, iammerson said:

Hey has anyone had any rivet issues with their mako 2? I am starting to notice mine getting a little loose. Is this the first sign of the beginning of the end of the skate lol?

I had the same problem, but I simply put the rivet on the edge of my vice and whacked the insole side with the end of the ratchet extension bar with a wooden hammer to re-flatten out the rivet. I did this on all of them and they haven't moved in 3 months or so.. I also put silicone sealant around each of the posts of the runner as there was quite a bit of space and had a thought that ice and crap would get underneath the mounts and accelerate rust / rot (even if it didn't, what harm could it do!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Can someone remind me if tuuks are compatible with the makos, the holes align properly? 

The new Lightspeed Edge holders and the Lightspeed 2 holes line up properly.

You can also read that exact same information in this thread no fewer than three times.

14 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Can someone remind me if tuuks are compatible with the makos, the holes align properly? 

Thanks for asking this, I was just about to ask the same thing. I'm going to swap the CXN out of my Makos and put the Edge holders on; the steel in my size is so difficult to find, and anyway, if the Makos are discontinued, it'll just become harder and harder.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know what height of shims I need to put between the rear tower of the Edge holder and the boot to make the stock pitch of the CXN holder and steel? If I recall correctly, the holder pitch is the same for the Lightspeed Edge and the CXN, but not the steel, therefore I want to compensate by adding a shim. I don't want to radius the steel in the Edge holder to match the Easton one, because I don't live anywhere near someone who radiuses blades - I live in Aisa.

11 hours ago, laserrobottime said:

The new Lightspeed Edge holders and the Lightspeed 2 holes line up properly.

You can also read that exact same information in this thread no fewer than three times.

Thanks for the info. Honestly, I'm not very good at digging up information with the search function, so it would have taken me ages to dig through the thread.

I went with 3mm lifts when I had LS2 holders installed.  Can't tell you if it matched the stock pitch perfectly, but I was satisfied with the results.

22 hours ago, mojo122 said:

I went with 3mm lifts when I had LS2 holders installed.  Can't tell you if it matched the stock pitch perfectly, but I was satisfied with the results.

Thanks bud! Did you skate on the stock CXN stuff, and if you did, you say it is similar?

17 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

uh, I searched, uh, didn't come up with anything and didn't feel like going trough 118 pages on my phone...uh

I did too; searching on a phone probably isn't the best choice, I think.

15 hours ago, laserrobottime said:

Grumble grumble darn kids and their need for instant gratification. 

I wonder if this is a good idea - a summary of important, poignant points on the first page of each thread. Sounds like a lot of work, but if it could be edited by anyone, I think each member would chip in. Sometimes, searching is not easy, especially if you're not really sure what to type in as keywords. 

EDIT: Oh, anyone knows if Total Hockey can replace holders and add shims? Got a friend travelling to the one in Chesterfield, MO, when he flies to the States in May, and he'll bring my skates to pass to them.

Edited by salibandy
Left out info

2 hours ago, salibandy said:

Thanks bud! Did you skate on the stock CXN stuff, and if you did, you say it is similar?

I did too; searching on a phone probably isn't the best choice, I think.

I wonder if this is a good idea - a summary of important, poignant points on the first page of each thread. Sounds like a lot of work, but if it could be edited by anyone, I think each member would chip in. Sometimes, searching is not easy, especially if you're not really sure what to type in as keywords. 

EDIT: Oh, anyone knows if Total Hockey can replace holders and add shims? Got a friend travelling to the one in Chesterfield, MO, when he flies to the States in May, and he'll bring my skates to pass to them.

TH should be able to help you out with the swap no problem. They can be hit or miss with the shimming though, contact the store directly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laserrobottime said:

TH should be able to help you out with the swap no problem. They can be hit or miss with the shimming though, contact the store directly. 

Thanks man, I'll look up the store and drop them an email.

Howdy,

Probably you all saw this already, but just in case.... Hockey Monkey is having 40% off clearance stuff until Monday and they have a bunch of Easton Mako skate versions on clearance....

Mark