Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Mike, I thought you said that the initial problem came from getting hit by a shot?

It started with a shot, They got soft then just got worse with more skates. I am sure being 220lbs doesn't help when they became soft. Still wouldn't expect them to break from a shot as this hasn't happened with any other of the skates I had. S17's the stitching all fell out but that is normal for them :sad:

When did you buy them? They may be within the warranty period.

I got them a little while ago when they came out, so out of warranty

The inside of those skates look like they haven't been aired out in a while... Rust on the rivets could have contributed.

It started with a shot, They got soft then just got worse with more skates. I am sure being 220lbs doesn't help when they became soft. Still wouldn't expect them to break from a shot as this hasn't happened with any other of the skates I had. S17's the stitching all fell out but that is normal for them :sad:

Unfortunately, any composite boot can crack internally when hit with a hard enough shot. Once there is a weakening of the structure, it's just a matter of time before there is a catastrophic failure of the material. Just as with sticks, manufacturers struggle with finding the right compromise between durability, weight and performance.

Had a similar experience with my Kor skates. Not to the extent of yours. I tend to block a fair number of shots. I have a pair of Shift 1s and 2s, both have several small chunks out of the carbon fibre base in the toe area. Never compromised the integrity/stability of the holder like yours.

The inside of those skates look like they haven't been aired out in a while... Rust on the rivets could have contributed.

Aired out after every skate and actually isn't rusty more due to bad camera

Had a similar experience with my Kor skates. Not to the extent of yours. I tend to block a fair number of shots. I have a pair of Shift 1s and 2s, both have several small chunks out of the carbon fibre base in the toe area. Never compromised the integrity/stability of the holder like yours.

I actually dont really ever try to block shots, I don't get paid to play so I am not blocking shots if i don't have too

I love my Easton Mako skates. Honestly the best skates I have ever worn, and I can't even think of what I would do if I was forced to switch brands.

With that being said, what happened to Haggertys skates happened to my first pair, almost identically. Mine were purchased on release day, and the carbon fiber of the silver heel failed just like his within the first month of use. I had them warrantied out, and at the time Easton indicated that this was a known issue with the early run of skates. My replacement pair has been rock solid, so I really didn't think much of it, until seeing this post. I would definitely follow up with Easton Warranty even if it falls outside their prescribed warranty period, I mean it can't hurt.

Bummed for you, and I hope Easton makes it right. An 800 pro level skate should not break down this quickly. I will be watching mine closely going forward.

Edited to add: My skates failure was not the result of a blocked shot, it just appeared one day, and I can not think of anything out of the ordinary that would have caused such a failure.

Edited by chrisg19

Got lucky today my LSH brought in a pair in my size didn't have time to bake. Tried them on anyways. Left skate was pretty good without a bake right foot not so much needs more width. Once these open up after baking should be an good fit. Cross my fingers my clients pay up this week so I can grab those babies

Got lucky today my LSH brought in a pair in my size didn't have time to bake. Tried them on anyways. Left skate was pretty good without a bake right foot not so much needs more width. Once these open up after baking should be an good fit. Cross my fingers my clients pay up this week so I can grab those babies

I couldn't even get my feet in before baking. If they fit decent without bake, they should be great after baking.

Anyone else noticing slight cracks or just fractures running through the silver texalium? They're extremely thin and just look like cosmetic cracks, but they've been seen on the three pairs (including mine) seen around the league I play.

Figured I'd mention that we warrantied a pair of Mako's today that had a very similar issue to the picture, but worse. The whole holder could be torqued away from the boot and took the bottom with it. Seemed like a breakdown due to materials, not wear and tear or rust

it looks like fiberglass on the heel is it?

Not fiberglass, carbon fibre. This is used to make skates light, unfortunately a tradoff is when hit, it can crack.

Not fiberglass, carbon fibre. This is used to make skates light, unfortunately a tradoff is when hit, it can crack.

it's just weird to see carbon fiber that is silver like that...

it's just weird to see carbon fiber that is silver like that...

It's texalium, which is not carbon fiber in the way you think.

It's fiberglass-based with a layer of aluminum - that's where the silver comes from.

It's texalium, which is not carbon fiber in the way you think.

It's fiberglass-based with a layer of aluminum - that's where the silver comes from.

Cool, learned something new today, I was just wondering if that wasn't a clue for the holder attachment issue

Hi guys, I am not able to go to a store near me (as there isn't really any) to get sized up properly.

I am a US size 8.5 in trainers and US size 8 in dress shoes ... will a Mako skate size 6.5 fit me?