Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Hi guys, I am not able to go to a store near me (as there isn't really any) to get sized up properly.

I am a US size 8.5 in trainers and US size 8 in dress shoes ... will a Mako skate size 6.5 fit me?

It's not a good idea to use shoe size as a guide for skate sizes as some people leave more room in their shoes than others. Knowing your skate size in another model (as tight as possible without pain and with your toes brushing the cap) would allow people to provide more accurate guidance. If you don't know that then another option would be to trace and measure your feet and provide those measurements (length and width at the longest and widest points).

I use a 7.5 in bauer skates but never touch the toecap not even when loosely laced.

Foot length is 10 inches/25.5cm and width is

3.75 inches/9.5cm

I think the Bauers are too long for you based on your foot measurements alone. I can fit into a 7.5EE Bauer skate and my feet are 10.5 inches long and 4.5 inches wide.

Based on your measurements I'd say you need a 6D Mako (and likely a 6 in most of the high end Bauer skates as well - sizing can vary by model and year due to the fit profile).

My logic is that I've read Makos fit similar to Bauer lengthwise. I know I fit an 8.5 KOR skate and a 7.5 Bauer Skate so the KORs fit one size up from Bauer. I still have a KOR sizing guide and it says that a 7 KOR is 25.6cm, therefore; your size in KOR would be 7 and your Bauer and Mako size would be 6. Using the same logic I'd guess my Mako size would be 7.5EE, but I'd personally try them on before buying them and that wouldn't be too difficult where I live.

I said 6D because your feet aren't particularly wide in proportion to the length. The 6D will likely feel very tight when you get them, but fit properly after a good bake. The Makos are meant to have zero negative space - if you buy a pair that's too big it kind of defeats the purpose of getting them. You'll fit into a 6.5 and they'd feel snug at first, but after a bake and breaking them in they'll be a half size too big.

Full disclosure: I'm just going by the sizing information I've gathered here for Makos as I've never worn or tried them on so you may want to wait for others to chime in, but I'm fairly confident that 6D would be your size in the Makos. Of course it's always best to try them on in person, but you said that wasn't a possibility.

Edited by althoma1

if I were you, the least I'd do is take my feet measurements in cm/mm and send that off to an online lhs such as totalhockey or hm

RE: easton mako pitch

Can you not remove the runner and turn it round ,so to reverse the pitch .

And then have the radius changed if need be.

Just a thought ???????????

It's an interesting thought, but they don't look symmetrical, top or bottom.

No, it won't fit backwards. I spent 5 minutes trying to shove it in the holder the other day wondering why it was so hard to get in. Yep... backwards.

Well the I got to try the makos today had them baked it's amazing how much width and depth you gain after baking. I tried them on last week left skate felt fine out of box right needed baking. Unfortunately after baking the area where the tendon guard and skate meet was pinching my leg the shop tried opening up that area just couldn't get it right. I tried on a half size larger no problem at all with pinching but the boot had too much volume I wasn't even grazing the end of the toe box. It's too bad would have been a perfect fit throughout. The boot really wraps around my foot well. Hopefully the next gen model will work for me. So till then I'm in x100s :(

I'm assuming no, but can these be baked again if proper outcome is not achieved? Or is only spot heating recommended after the bake? I looked through much of this thread but may have missed it.

Thanks.

Been watching quite a few of the reviews online...Just one Q...Isn't it correct that Kor really opened to doors to this vision and technology?

• Like 1

Kor may have been the first to transfer speed skating concepts to hockey skates, but it wasn't until years later when MLX came onto the scene that a big manufacturer took notice. I am honestly convinced Kor didn't sell well because of aesthetics.

I'm assuming no, but can these be baked again if proper outcome is not achieved? Or is only spot heating recommended after the bake? I looked through much of this thread but may have missed it.

Thanks.

Been watching quite a few of the reviews online...Just one Q...Isn't it correct that Kor really opened to doors to this vision and technology?

They can be baked multiple times.

My son has the Mako's, JR size 5. He absolutely loves them. Bought them just after they were released. The skates are still in great condition, save for the felt on the tongues. They have worn through completely in the spot that contacts the top of the boot. Are there replacements available? Also, any recommendations for an upgraded footbed?

I've found that changing the footbed in the Mako's can create a negative experience for the feet. I originally tried superfeet but they took up too much space and didn't match with the design of the boot. The stock insoles are fantastic, as long as you dry them out properly.

Thanks, that is nice to know about the baking.

They definitely feel tight, an improved version of Kor as others have noted (I still have to give Kor a lot of credit since they developed this tech around a decade ago as far as I know. Amazing). Right foot came out perfect. In fact, when I put it on, I actually heard the air escaping the boot at the last second, haha. The left feels a little too tight right around the outside balls of my feet and I imagine I will have to correct that somehow. Will try them tonight.

One thing I am happy with is that with the pitch runner that I am used to at +1 and my preference to skate in a forward stance, that transition should be fairly simple going into the Mako's.

I've found that changing the footbed in the Mako's can create a negative experience for the feet. I originally tried superfeet but they took up too much space and didn't match with the design of the boot. The stock insoles are fantastic, as long as you dry them out properly.

Same here. That footbed is pretty minimal, but with a good bake, the underlying structure of the skate outsole should conform pretty well. If not, maybe spot heat. Then the foot bed is just some thin cushion on top of the formed skate outsole. This is great for control. I tried my Sidas insoles and felt I lost all "feel" for the ice that I got with the OEM footbed, plus it introduced more volume issues.

How is the depth in the Easton Mako, in the area that I am failing the pencil test in my Bauer Supreme One.9 LE's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GM6Ms-ZoAc

I don't know what the pencil test is, but that exact spot is what worried me before baking them since I have "high" feet. I had a lot of troble tucking in the tongue in that area before baking them, but after they just seemed to adjust much better and I trust it won't be an issue.

The only I've found is that I have to be REALLY careful getting my foot in, or else the footbed will actually bunch up because its so thin. Pretty much have to unlace 4 top eyelets to get the skates on my foot.

The only I've found is that I have to be REALLY careful getting my foot in, or else the footbed will actually bunch up because its so thin. Pretty much have to unlace 4 top eyelets to get the skates on my foot.

You should be doing that on any boot that fits properly. If it's loose enough that you can get your foot out without undoing a couple laces, it's probably too loose.

You should be doing that on any boot that fits properly. If it's loose enough that you can get your foot out without undoing a couple laces, it's probably too loose.

Well sure, but this is completely removing the laces from the top four eyelets, not just loosening them. I have to pull the tongue way forward and slip my toes in carefully before putting my heel down, or else the footbed will bunch up.

Not a huge deal besides the extra two minutes it takes to re-lace all the eyelets on both skates. I just wish the stock footbeds were slightly more rigid. But I also wish I didn't have to wear a neoprene sleeve on my ankle to keep from getting "mako-bumps", but if thats the price to pay to skate pain free then so be it.

Well sure, but this is completely removing the laces from the top four eyelets, not just loosening them. I have to pull the tongue way forward and slip my toes in carefully before putting my heel down, or else the footbed will bunch up.

Not a huge deal besides the extra two minutes it takes to re-lace all the eyelets on both skates. I just wish the stock footbeds were slightly more rigid. But I also wish I didn't have to wear a neoprene sleeve on my ankle to keep from getting "mako-bumps", but if thats the price to pay to skate pain free then so be it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have had to do with my skates for the last decade or so, even with my old Missions and Tacks. When you feel the suction created by pulling your heel out of the boot, you know you have the right fit.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have had to do with my skates for the last decade or so, even with my old Missions and Tacks. When you feel the suction created by pulling your heel out of the boot, you know you have the right fit.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm feeling now.

STILL very tempted to try VH, though.

Just saw new Mako II skates Monday and mako-bump causing areas have been addressed according to rep.

Edited by wmd52

They look pretty sweet too. I guess they decided that they should listen to all the cool teens that want black skates :rolleyes: