Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stewie

What are you doing to fill the NHL void in your life

How are you coping with the lockout? I am taking this time to get more acquainted with my local minor league teams, gonna attend a Plymouth Whalers game or two here soon. Had the Tigers in the World Series for a bit there but we know how that ended. Also i am finding that cardboard cutouts of Fehr and Bettman make good shot targets. Working on my own game here and there.

I am playing three times a week now, but there is still that void. I cancelled cable as I have no real use for it until they finally get this crap straightened out. Hockey is the one sport that I can just watch any teams play, the others i stick to Detroit teams.

Other than playing hockey as much as possible, I've been spending more time with NHL 13. The Hockey Ultimate Team game mode is really good, as is the Be A Pro mode. Both have great depth, and I almost don't miss the NHL as much because I can have my own little season instead. The void is still there however, it just isn't as big. Lockouts suck so hard.

I don't have an NHL void... the pretense and circumstances of the lost work has completely turned me off from caring about the league in any capacity. I can't scratch an itch I don't have, and I don't think I'll get it back for a while after the league returns. But I'm weird in that I've been team agnostic all my life. I'm not emotionally invested in any team or region so I don't have the same connection to the pro game that a lot of other people do. I realize not everyone can just forget about the NHL like I can.

I've been playing as much pick-up and beer league as possible. Lately I've been really enjoying the KHL updates in English on YouTube... they're released daily and run between 6-10 minutes like a Sportscenter segment.

Playing would have filled much of the void but,I had surgery to fix a torn rotator cuff,labrum, and bicep at the end of August that will keep me off the ice until after American Thanksgiving at the earliest. Rehab is going well with strength training starting this week. The surgeon was shaking his head when I told him that I played 3 seasons after the original injury incident happened. It kills me to watch my teamates play and just sit there watching. Hopefully will get to play when the new season starts in January.

I have taken the money that I usually spend on Center Ice ,on season tickets to the local ECHL team the Greenville Road Warriors.

But I'm weird in that I've been team agnostic all my life. I'm not emotionally invested in any team or region so I don't have the same connection to the pro game that a lot of other people do.

I find the opposite to hold true for me. Being invested in one team means I watched hockey two or three nights a week each season, whereas other people would watch nightly. I suspect those people are feeling more of void. I wouldn't characterize mine as a 'void;" I've missed not watching Bruins' games occasionally, but I think I'm probably reading slightly more than I normally would during the season.

I find the opposite to hold true for me. Being invested in one team means I watched hockey two or three nights a week each season, whereas other people would watch nightly. I suspect those people are feeling more of void. I wouldn't characterize mine as a 'void;" I've missed not watching Bruins' games occasionally, but I think I'm probably reading slightly more than I normally would during the season.

i definitely have my team in the Red Wings, but i could watch just about any game, so id agree. If I only watched Wings games, it wouldnt be that large of a void, but im also missing Hockey Night in Canada, and other random games on TV.

As of now, now hockey withdrawal whatsoever. The only thing I really miss is the hockey pool, more importantly, the night we drafted our players for the pool. Besides that, I could hardly care less and am not sure I'll be watching much hockey once it resumes but that I'll only know for sure when it's on again. I'm actually thinking about dropping the sports channels from my Cable package. I could easily replace hockey viewing time with playing more guitar among other things.

While I love watching the NHL, I have enough going on that there's not a void. Two kids, a job that requires travel and working nights and weekends at times, a house to take care of, I have plenty to do!

This lock-out has proved a little timely for the things I have going on. Purchasing a new home and will have plenty to do with it once we are moved in. Plus, have been watching my Bears defense run the NFL. Also, been enjoying some of the "classic" NHL games that the NHL channel has been running. I definitely miss the NHL though. I've watched a few KHL games then go watch a few NHL re-run games from the last season or two.....what a difference.

I second the Bears D, they are carrying my fantasy team!

Let me preface this by saying I will NEVER buy another ticket for an NHL game. 2 lockouts in 8 years is pathetic. As for filling the void, I haven't played pickup or league hockey in 8 months, I've had 2 surgeries on my wrist to repair a torn ligament. Hopefully, I'll get out of my cast in 2 weeks and start rehab and be back on the ice in a month or so. Until then, I'll keep watching football and if/when the NHL decides to return, I'll watch some Flyers games, but they'll never see another dime of my money.

College hockey baby. Of course that is pretty low key Sunday - Thursday but Friday and Saturday are some serious fun.

Same here. No chance of a strike or lockout either.

playing more hockey and spending all my free time with my new born son. I dont miss hockey like i did during the 05 lockout, that was at the time the most depressing worst time of my life. I signed june on everything for an entire year because i was in denial

funny thing is, i tried to make it to a plymouth whalers game, and i was looking at their yearly attendance, which was low, so didnt buy a ticket beforehand. got to the rink and it was sold out, standing room only, for second night in a row. this recent uptick in attendance has to be people itching for hockey, as it was pretty nice this weekend so people had other options.

I went online and bought the "Top 10 Games" DVD's for every team that I could find...So far I have the Penguins, Flyers, Oilers, Flames, Capitals, Islanders, Canadiens, and Maple Leafs.....anyone know of any more, lol...

Watching Fedorov as a young man playing for the Wings then right after watching him play in his "twilight" for the Capitals is kind of neat. What a fun line to watch, Fedorov, Ovechkin, and Semin....

We dont get cable and even network TV is spotty so I dont get to watch much NHL normally anyway...

The NHL is screwing itself...they will loose a ton of interest over this lockout..