Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dsjunior1388

Washington Capitals 2013

with the funk he has been in it can't hurt - i think his bigger problem is that teams have figured out how to defend him since he is kind of one dimensional. I'm not saying that he is a horrible passer - but the majority of the time he is going to be shooting.

If anyone is going to get Backy and Nicky working together again, it'll be Oatesy. You know, the HoF passer setting up HoF snipers Hull and Neely. I think that is what Oates is going to try and exploit.

I dont like it. He loves shooting from the off wing and for as much hate as the guy gets, it must be nice to have a 38 goal year and still be in a "funk"

When will the caps strip ovi of the C? it needs to happen sooner than later. The team and ovi himself played better when he was an assistant. Also the team isn't built very well. They have a good coach but bad players. Did you notice though his game took a turn for the worse once they gave him the C. He doesn't really celebrate a goal anymore. I want to see the all out old ovi. name brower or laich the captain

Do you really think that would help his game? People say its his immature attitude already, take something away from him and lets see how childish he gets! (and I am a huge Ovi fan) I think the bigger problem is that the team isnt built for the system they are trying to play

Do you really think that would help his game? People say its his immature attitude already, take something away from him and lets see how childish he gets! (and I am a huge Ovi fan) I think the bigger problem is that the team isnt built for the system they are trying to play

He played a lot better without the C

His decline started when they stopped having him go hard on the forecheck and play a much more defensive system. He plays best when he feeds off his emotions, not when playing what amounts to a trap or lock type system. He also hasn't played with Backstrom regularly in a couple seasons, three coaching changes in the last year+, three different systems and a position change. The current coaching staff has made a lot of changes, most of which have not paid back much lower returns than intended.

I don't really see anyone on the Caps with captain material. My guess is that Oates will be gone before Ovechkin loses the "C". It is very hard to strip the "C" off of the face of your franchise once you've given it to him.

I don't really see anyone on the Caps with captain material. My guess is that Oates will be gone before Ovechkin loses the "C". It is very hard to strip the "C" off of the face of your franchise once you've given it to him.

Modano comes to mind in Dallas. He was for dam sure the face of that franchise. I think Oates is a good coach. His system isn't built for the players he has. Ovi's line used to be Ovi Backstrom Semin. That's when Ovi was a god like player

Brower or Laich come to mind for captains.

Modano comes to mind in Dallas. He was for dam sure the face of that franchise. I think Oates is a good coach. His system isn't built for the players he has. Ovi's line used to be Ovi Backstrom Semin. That's when Ovi was a god like player

A good coach comes up with a system to fit the players he has. If you can only coach one way, you aren't a good coach.

The Sharks also did it with Marleau. I didn't say it was impossible, it is a hard thing to do. The Sharks and Stars were helped by the fact that Marleau and Modano are soft spoken/good soldier type guys. Ovechkin is a bit more outspoken and gregarious. It could be a PR disaster if they yank the "C" off of his sweater. As for Oates, he may be an excellent coach but you said it yourself, square peg/round hole.

Sidenote: O'Connell ripped the "A" off of Oates sweater in Boston after he made some pointed comments about Bruins management.

A good coach comes up with a system to fit the players he has. If you can only coach one way, you aren't a good coach.

exactly! The decline of the Caps isnt soley on Ovi's shoulders although everyone seems to act like it. He hasnt been a susper star but what you also said about not letting him play his game!

never understood why they tried to take one of the most dynamic players in the league and force him to play defense first. it has completely backfired. that team was a blast to watch a couple years ago and now they stink.

never understood why they tried to take one of the most dynamic players in the league and force him to play defense first. it has completely backfired. that team was a blast to watch a couple years ago and now they stink.

They also broke up the closest thing they had to a shut down defense pairing that had been together for years and put them with guys that are often out of position and sometimes even lost in their own end of the ice. The effort to spread out the talent has resulted in more of a watering-down of the talent that they have.

I agree with alot of what's being said here, Ovi isn't a Crosby, he isn't a naturally disciplined player, and that's what's great about him. I miss the Ovi from 2 years ago, he looked happy, now he just looks like anyone else.

To be fair, most great players don't become great champions in today's NHL without a little defensive responsibility.

...and Lecavalier in Tampa Bay

To be fair, most great players don't become great champions in today's NHL without a little defensive responsibility.

To be fair:

2009-10 caps finish 54-15-13

Alex Ovechkin WSH 72 50 59 109 +45

2010-11 caps finish at 48-23-11

Alex Ovechkin WSH 79 32 53 85 +24

2011-12 caps finish 42-32-8

Alex Ovechkin WSH 78 38 27 65 -8

Anybody have a problem with 32 goals +24 or 50 goals +45?

To be fair:

2009-10 caps finish 54-15-13

Alex Ovechkin WSH 72 50 59 109 +45

2010-11 caps finish at 48-23-11

Alex Ovechkin WSH 79 32 53 85 +24

2011-12 caps finish 42-32-8

Alex Ovechkin WSH 78 38 27 65 -8

Anybody have a problem with 32 goals +24 or 50 goals +45?

Which of those years did the Capitals win the Stanley Cup?

Which of those years did the Capitals win the Stanley Cup?

He was refuting the point that Ovechkin is playing a better defensive game now. Which the stats seem to suggest.

IE: They were closer to the cup when Ovi was destroying teams on the score board.

He was refuting the point that Ovechkin is playing a better defensive game now. Which the stats seem to suggest.

IE: They were closer to the cup when Ovi was destroying teams on the score board.

Exactly. They had a better record when Ovechkin was not playing defensively. But no cup. So, to chippa's point, you don't win a cup by lighting up teams during the regular season.

I'm not sure how -8, compared to +24 and +45, can be considered evidence of "playing defensively".

As to the regular season record, it's important. You need a good record to get into the playoffs, and to get that winning attitude and expectation inculcated in the players' minds. Further, a better regular season record will generally indicate a better team. While an 8 seed can win, it's going to happen a lot less often than a team with a better regular season record winning. These are obviously generalities, but they're intended to address generalities expressed by others. Things like a goalie getting red-hot, or a team slumping or peaking at playoff time, can happen.

My point was that since we all know that generally defense wins cups, as exciting as it is to watch Ovi light up the NHL during the regular season, once that dries up come playoff time, they don't have a chance.

What I'm really trying to say is that having massive numbers on the score sheet means squat if the system that allows that to happen is also one that can't succeed during the playoffs.