Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjpisat

Switching from vapor to supreme....yikes

I not only went from vapor to supreme but it was 4.0 to nxg's. Like a dummy I took the NXG to my game tonight and wore them without skating in them first. About the only thing I felt I could do ok in them was skate forward in a straight line. I had a hard to time stopping, turning, crossing over. Everything. Is that normal when making a transition like that? Good thing is that I had no soreness and my feet didn't go numb like they do with vapors. I'll keep skating with them at stick and shoot etc until I feel comfortable but I'm a little concerned

The NXG is way stiffer than the 4.0 out of the box, even moreso relative to a broken in pair. It will take you some time to get used to this difference I'd imagine.

That said, I never use new skates in a game as I like to figure them out solo via trying out technical power skating moves to get a feel for all 4 edges.

Not sure, I kinda had the same problem. I had 6+ year old pair of Easton skates and switched to a pair of Bauer One80's in the summer. I had a hard time skating as well, couldn't do anything but skate straight. It's like I had never skated before. I found that the blade being new it was quite long and didn't have that "banana" shape I was used to, I was tripping over my toes. I got someone to shave down the heel and toe a little bit, just enough to make a difference, it was a lot better with turning, before I couldn't turn hardly at all.
Just get some ice time with them and you should ajust to them, it took me quite a bit but I'm used to them now. Still miss my old skates though...

If you have a good shop nearby that you trust, I would have your steel profiled. The Fusion runners on the NXG's tend to be very flat. I've measured them at approximately a 13' radius. For some reason they are way flatter than regular LS2 or most other runners. I doubt it is the skates themselves as they seem to fit well according to your post. Shave some of the toe down and put a decent radius in the 9-11' range and you will probably feel much better.

It remembers me when I switched from CCM Externo 50 skates that were 7 years old to '09 Bauer Vapor X40s. Like you, I couldn't do anything, except fall into the boards when trying to turn. Just the difference in steel height between a used and a new runner makes a hell of a difference. What you are experiencing is normal.

It took me I'd say 3 games before starting to feel good on the ice. Afterwards, they were the best skates I've ever worn.

Since you are coming from Bauer skates, I would not do anything in regards to profiling since the fusion and LS2 have the exact same profile. Play a few games, get used to them, and you'll love your skates afterwards. Nothing to worry about.

Went from a Vapor to a Supreme as well, and could not skate at all. I felt like I was on my heels all the time, and it probably did not help that the boot is so stiff compared to my Vapors, and that I cannot take out the runners on one side to send the steel away for profiling.

Went from a Vapor to a Supreme as well, and could not skate at all. I felt like I was on my heels all the time, and it probably did not help that the boot is so stiff compared to my Vapors, and that I cannot take out the runners on one side to send the steel away for profiling.

What did you do?

I switched to supreme because of a volume issue in vapors. It's not perfect in supreme either but it's better and my feet didn't go to sleep last night like they do in my vapors.

I'm not going to do any mods for now. I'll do some stick and shoots and see how it goes. Back to the vapors for games for now. I hope that doesn't screw me up with getting used to the supremes, switching back and forth.

I just went through a similar experiance with my son about 9 months ago. Vapor XXV's to Supreme one 80's. I asked for advice from this forum, and received information like changing the radius/rocker/profile to installing heel lifts. I took the most basic suggestion first, and tried yellow Superfeet. Problem solved. Credit to Shoeshine Boy.

Most of the fusion runners I've measured have been flat also. Mostly 12' to 13' radius.

That's odd since Bauer's come with a 9' radius.

FWIW, I bought NXG's in December and figured that coming from One95's, the transition would be easy. After about 10 games, last night was my first pain-free, broken-in feeling skate in the NXG's. It'll take a while, but you'll get there.

Gotta break them in a little bit. Keep skating on them and make a decision after a good amount of skate times with them.

I also switched from Vapor X4.0 to Bauer Supreme One.9 skates.

FWIW There was hardly any adjustment period at all. If anything, I found that I could do more in the Supremes than I could in the Vapors.

It was my understanding that stock steel from Bauer has a 9' radius, but I can't really speak for the LS Fusion runner since the one.9s come with the LS 2.1 runner. I recently had my skates profiled to 11' radius with a 1mm forward pitch.

I had the same issue moving from X:60s to TOs. I felt on my heels alot and I do alot of backwards skating so it wasn't fun. I switched back to Vapor and got some APX. I felt back to normal, only difference is they are super stiff.

a lot of people commented about feeling like they were on their heels. i did feel like that also. i put my yellow super feet in after the first period. it improved things a little but not much. i have three weeks off til my next game so I'll get to spend about 10-12 hours on the ice before I play again.

I would think by then I should have a pretty good idea if these will work for me or not. I hope they do. that was a lot of damn money.

Just in case they do work and I would like to do some tweaks with profiling etc. does anybody know a good place to take them in the DC/MD/northern VA area?

I switched from Graf G3s to TotalONEs and I had a similar experience. Luckily my first skate was at stick and puck and I had lots of time to get used to them. Honestly I would never switch back now that I have gone to Supremes and am on my second pair.

I think its quite normal, the difference in stiffness and as others have said, just the height of the steel will make a difference. I switched from old beat up reebok skates to high end supremes, and the first skate out felt like I had to learn all over again. I'm quite a strong skater, yet at that first session I was getting called Bambi, as I couldnt find my feet at all and was like a baby deer trying to learn to walk lol. It took two or three sessions to really get used to them, but now I absolutely love my supremes and have noticed an improvement in my skating all round.

I got something as well ...

I had a very long break before first going to roller and with my Mission Inhaler AC4 i am close to what i was able to skate like 25 years ago. Went and bought some Vapor X3.0 and i suck big time, can't really skate backwards, am mostly wobbling around even after resharpening ...

Haven't really found a solution to that.

If the runners are the same size, swap your old steel into the new skates. That is a really easy place to start.

Does anybody know if that's possible? Vapor x4.0 runners to replace NXG runners

They should be the same size if the skates are the same size. Well, usually. My nexus are the same as my previous vapors. I don't even use the steel that came with my nexus skates. I have step steel that I use instead. If you don't know how to remove, you can google or I'll try to describe how for you.