Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bar down

STX to produce hockey equipment in 2014

I'm using the Assault shoulder pads in my men's league and really like them. They are extremely lightweight and mobile. I've taken a couple of hits in them and they did their job. Really looking forward to what they bring to the table when it's specific to hockey, not re-purposed lacrosse.

thats exactly the thing. Warrior is an example of a success model in the transition, its not entirely hard going from lacrosse to hockey, especially when protective has its similarities. Miken came from softball, its a lot different.

I had the impression that Miken didn't try very hard for very long.

It really does seem that way, doesn't it? I believe that's probably more of an effect of Bauer, Easton, CCM, and Reebok being able to turn up their cash flow and marketing dial at will to weather bad times. They can effectively wear out fringe brands by attrition this way.

The barrier to entry in the market is insane cash flow. Lacking the cash to burn at will for sustained periods against an onslaught of marketing is something all of the dead/absorbed fringe brands had in common. Warrior rode it out and stayed in hockey most likely by tapping the cash reserves that being strong in lacrosse afforded them.

Based on the USAH deal and their storied history in lax, maybe we can say STX has the resources to play with Bauer, Easton, and CCM. We'll see.

After Miken showed up at SJ and gave out sticks and other stuff, I thought they were going to make a serious push, but then it seemed like they just quit.

It really does seem that way, doesn't it? I believe that's probably more of an effect of Bauer, Easton, CCM, and Reebok being able to turn up their cash flow and marketing dial at will to weather bad times. They can effectively wear out fringe brands by attrition this way.

The barrier to entry in the market is insane cash flow. Lacking the cash to burn at will for sustained periods against an onslaught of marketing is something all of the dead/absorbed fringe brands had in common. Warrior rode it out and stayed in hockey most likely by tapping the cash reserves that being strong in lacrosse afforded them.

Based on the USAH deal and their storied history in lax, maybe we can say STX has the resources to play with Bauer, Easton, and CCM. We'll see.

The thing that separates Warrior from STX is that Warrior was bought out by New Balance before entering the hockey market, while STX does not have a parent company. STX has a partnership with Nike, but it doesn't seem to be much more than using STX's patents and having STX produce equipment under Nike's name.

I'm not sure if STX would have much more available then Mike in terms of cash flow, but time will tell if they stick it out.

After Miken showed up at SJ and gave out sticks and other stuff, I thought they were going to make a serious push, but then it seemed like they just quit.

still brings a tear to my eye..that ZL was a thing of beauty.... from looks to feel.

I'm using a Miken Vicious 3.0 right now. I really do like the stick...especially the fact that I only paid $45 for it. Great stick for the money. Lightest stick i've ever used.

From what I heard, Miken was pushing for pretty large minimum orders and stores weren't ready to commit that much to an unknown.

Yeah, that's what I meant with my post. It almost seemed to me like they wanted to skip the niche manufacturer step in building a brand, but didn't have a great strategy. They way overproduced, I'm pretty sure you can still snag 80 dollar z9s on totals site

Some did

im no market expert, but it seemed like they produced for a storm, but marketed like a flurry.

;)

Some day Wrangler I will have an opportunity to speak to this in person

still brings a tear to my eye..that ZL was a thing of beauty.... from looks to feel.

Me too, Thanks

From what I heard, Miken was pushing for pretty large minimum orders and stores weren't ready to commit that much to an unknown.

Wasn't fully the case, but second part true

Yeah, that's what I meant with my post. It almost seemed to me like they wanted to skip the niche manufacturer step in building a brand, but didn't have a great strategy. They way overproduced, I'm pretty sure you can still snag 80 dollar z9s on totals site

Z9's yes, but I still get calls for ZL's and can't send anyone anywhere

I was thinking of the company behind you -- most definitely not you!

And I have been hoping to see you again to talk about this..

For a number of years Miken didn't have good product, certainly not as good as they thought it was anyway. It's a shame that they gave up when they did, JDK was doing great things with the product.

What I wonder is if this will be a similar scenario as with Miken, since the sticks are produced in North America, will people be ready to spend a premium on a relatively unknown product? Or will they be produced elsewhere?

What I wonder is if this will be a similar scenario as with Miken, since the sticks are produced in North America, will people be ready to spend a premium on a relatively unknown product? Or will they be produced elsewhere?

The very nature of a product being unknown answers this question; it's not that they're necessarily related. The issue doesn't seem to be whether or not consumers want to spend money on new products, but rather are retailers willing to take that risk when it's been shown that the manufacturer sometimes cannot do enough leg work to move their product. I don't know enough about STX to say.

People don't care where stuff is made, as long as it's good quality or they perceive it to be so. It's only when that perception is poked and prodded and the quality is considerably 'average' (which, statistically, is what most consumer products ARE) that people might wonder. Now I'm not talking about the ones who go into every purchase decision looking at the country of origin label, because those people are too few and far between to be anything more than niche in this industry.

I would assume they will have a Surgeon line too, as the Stallion line and Surgeon line are often paired with them. Stallion being the heavier, slightly more durable of the two, and Surgeon being the lighter, although both are the top of the line products for STX.That's how it is in lacrosse at least, but they could be separated by kick points, or some other feature.<br />

I'm using the Assault shoulder pads in my men's league and really like them. They are extremely lightweight and mobile. I've taken a couple of hits in them and they did their job. Really looking forward to what they bring to the table when it's specific to hockey, not re-purposed lacrosse.

I thought about going this route since I play in a pretty warm rink. I was worried about the absence of a lot of collarbone protection on the Assault lax shoulders, but otherwise they looked about right.