Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IniNew

The COLT. Kickstarter for hockey sticks...

From the article:

I seriously doubt more than one person took at least one slap shot every 3.75 seconds for an hour. Even firing off a couple hundred slapshots in incredibly tiring, I can't even imagine keeping up that kind of pace for an hour straight.

10,000 hours is 416 days of round the clock play.

Look at the date on the picture that "inspired" the stick. March 13, 2013

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/04/the-best-pictures-from-national-post-photographers-for-march-2013/

It's an interesting concept but I've heard similar claims before and it usually just ends up being smoke and mirrors. The 30g weight from the coating on the bottom third of the stick will be hard to balance out and still keep the stick as light as people expect.

Regarding the weight; it's not a particularly well-balanced stick for $280 though to be fair, that's not a main selling point. I would compare its weight/balance to recent $150 sticks.

I've played top tier ball hockey for almost ten years and have never seen anyone break 2-3 sticks a week. Plus, the players using high end sticks are far and few between. I typically see low end Easton's, Bauer's and Vic products. During all my years playing I have broken three sticks.none at the shaft, 2 were broken blades from being stepped on and the other was caught in the boards. That's why I use a tapered shaft/blade combo. In fact I've been using the same mission vhex 2 blade for 4 years now at 1 game per week without any damage. I know guys that are still using the first synergy. So I think his facts are a little exaggerated

The video looks impressive but

1) the initial cost may scare off potential buyers

2) if it really works that well, there will be copies soon

3) I'm thinking it has to somehow hurt performance, right?

They are saying there is limited to no difference in performance and 40 grams heavier. I am thinking Bauer or someone buys the rights and gives the guy a ton of dough and there will never be a stick made with that.

Or

A company buys the patent and then uses some of it to make there sticks stronger but they still break just less often.

Back when we had wood sticks guys went through maybe 3 4 a year for rec a few more if they played rep. No more then a 12. but then 12 only costs maybe 30 each 50 tops. Thats 4 sticks at todays prices. Something has to give somewhere.

Here's a question, what if someone with this stick slashes someone with a lets say normal stick? Will this stick with the protective coating make it more harmful for slashes?

They are saying there is limited to no difference in performance and 40 grams heavier. I am thinking Bauer or someone buys the rights and gives the guy a ton of dough and there will never be a stick made with that.

Or

A company buys the patent and then uses some of it to make there sticks stronger but they still break just less often.

Back when we had wood sticks guys went through maybe 3 4 a year for rec a few more if they played rep. No more then a 12. but then 12 only costs maybe 30 each 50 tops. Thats 4 sticks at todays prices. Something has to give somewhere.

OR

It's exactly like the Hefter helmet situation. A ton of marketing and claims for something that was never practical in the first place.

OR

It's exactly like the Hefter helmet situation. A ton of marketing and claims for something that was never practical in the first place.

I don't know about Hefter helmets, do you have an article or something explaining their initial design and/or how they failed?

I don't know about Hefter helmets, do you have an article or something explaining their initial design and/or how they failed?

You can read about the Hefter helmet on a few old threads on this site. This thread probably contains all you need to know:http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/9534-hefter-helmet-coming-soon-to-thepenaltyboxcom/

Im certainly interested, as I am the poster boy for breaking sticks. I play a lot, and after going through a ton of high end sticks, I would buy one of these if it performs ok and the weight is where it needs to be...

I dont want to sound like a fussy guy, but after playing with Stealths/APX's, CCMRBZ Stage 2, Widows, etc. I find my Sherwood T90 heavy as a stone. I have 3 Synergy ST's that I used to LOVE and they have been great to me, but a 420 gram stick vs a 500 gram stick DOES make a difference once you get used to it. My release is a lot better and I find it easier to poke the puck away from guys with one hand on the stick sinc eI have more control.

Either way, will be keeping my eyes on the forums here to the first adopters. Im a little nervous spending 270$ on something that might be a heavy shiny toy :p

I'm 100,000% more skeptical.

I think the tech part is solid IMO but I agree that the price is way to high. Arent Base sticks like 185? Now if they were to combine what I have seen with Base sticks and put this stuff on them then I would buy one for each kid in a second. We have a young lady on are team using Base (And I just had heard good things never seen them in action) and I asked her to just go get tested she could continue to buy her 85 flex at 5'3" at 110lbs and cut down the 6 inches if she wanted. She was in the top 10 in scoring but a very weak shot she just had a nose for the net. Now she is top in scoring in JR (if you call it that as some do here) on our team and in the top 10 in the league. Her snaps and wrists are so much faster and still has a decent slapper. Finally after 9 months broke her one stick. She is on her back up. Now if that stick had this tech and she still scored the same well then......

On the other end of the spectrum on our team we have a young lady 6'1" about 180 has broken about 3 or 4 sticks so far this year....and she has a sister playing as well i know her dad would love to see this stick work. It sure could help with the price of minor hockey (if the stick as more reasonably priced that is) .

im not so sure itd be simple enough as just adding stuff to the stick, the extra gram weight of the coating can mess with all kinds of factors, including balance

Exactly. That's why they have had to engineer from point one. Eventually someone will probably buy them out, but I'm very doubtful it'd be base

OR

Unlike Hefter, they evidently at least have a product that you can touch. I am skeptical, but open to changing my mind if they can prove it.

And EVEN IF it did work...I'd like for people to extol the virtues of an unbreakable stick when they get it stuck in the Zamboni door. Unless, you want a core sample of yourself...

Unlike Hefter, they evidently at least have a product that you can touch. I am skeptical, but open to changing my mind if they can prove it.

+1

LTR could be something worthwhile to have in here

i'm not sure if this has been touched on, but what i'm noticing that some aren't realizing is that when sticks fail due to normal usage, they fail from the inside out. the stress impact on the fibres on the inside of the shaft break down, which is what causes the loss of "pop" everyone notices. the more it breaks down on the inside, the more likely it is to fail completely. a stick that is broken from shooting/flexing/rebounding looks distinctly different than a stick broken in any other way. repetitive strain. COLT has addressed an issue that is outside of the control of the user: hacks, slashes and external abuse. fair enough... you won't get your stick broken when someone two hands your stick, but this coating can't protect whats going on on the inside.

Very good post above mine. I don't even think that has been mentioned by the company itself. That's something inevitable, unless they use a different internal design completely, right?

Available for sale as of now,

I must say, I was really really skeptical, and I'm rarely that partisan, my hats of to them to make it this far.

I'm looking forward to hold this stick in my hands and/or to read a LTR.