Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridindirty

Shoulder Pads for mens leagues

I bought some 09/10 Reebok 8ks on closeout a couple of years ago, but I didn't have time to start playing again. Recently (and finally) got back on the ice and I'd like something different. They are nice and fairly mobile, but the shoulder caps are larger than I need and the back of the shoulders stick out and make me look like I have wings! Its really annoying.

So Shoulders for mens leagues, preferably something made within the last 2-3 years, not some old Jofas or Sherwoods. What have been good pads and what do you guys like?

I should add, i did search, but im not a big fan of the old school Farrel or Bauer Classic design so im looking for other options.

Thanks.

"Men's league" = ?? Full body checking ?? or beer league (no checking) ??

I only do beer league, for which I find CCM CL to be great, if you do not mind shelling out the $$. If I were looking to spend under $60 and be light and still protected enough, then I would say Easton Mako M1. Or, the Bauer Supreme One.6 I think, whichever ones are the orange ones are super light, and also seem protective enough for beer league. Main difference with the CCM CL is that the CCM CL are pretty much hydrophobic, and I think that the Mako or Bauers will hold some water weight. I do not think that either would be too bad, however, but having never worn them, I am not sure.

For full body, I would probably go with something else, not sure what though.

Sorry, I should have specified. Beer league. Thanks for the responses. In the other thread I found that was helpful, a lot of people loved the CCM CL's, but I dont really feel like shelling out 160+ for shoulders for beer league hockey.

dont know how they are on this line, but the lower end CCM pads on the Fit line were all pretty highly regarded as well amongst beer leaguers.

I used to wear 5030s, but I got tired of the bruises from hacks and slashes and I upgraded to an old pair of Jofas. I also like the idea of a little more protection, since I still have to go to work and don't get paid to go on the IR. I really like the Easton Mako protective, the M3 might be an option for you. The Graf G15 also fit the bill for a minimal, yet still somewhat protective. shoulder pad.

Not really shoulder pads per se but after a recent injury involving a fractured pelvis, bulged disc, and 3 pinched nerves, I started wearing shoulder pads for beer league hockey again. I use my old Hespeler pads that don't offer a ton of protection but i'm wearing a padded shirt underneath to add an extra layer. I'm finding that they work very well together and I only paid $19 for the padded shirt on sale. It offers low back protection, chest protection and even has wrist protection so that I don't have to wear my slash guard wrist bands anymore. It's designed for goalies but i've decided after 8 weeks laid up that it's worth it.

dont know how they are on this line, but the lower end CCM pads on the Fit line were all pretty highly regarded as well amongst beer leaguers.

Fits are a little hard to come by these days, I'm wondering if the U+12 compares favorably to the old Fit07. There isn't much feedback on here.

I have never been particularly bothered by shoulder pads, so I'm thinking a mid tier model that offers good mobility and is on the lighter end of the spectrum probably fits the bill for what I want.

I haven't checked out the Makos in person. They look kinda bulky, even on the he the low end model.... The reviews are good though.

I wear U+12 for beer league and absolutely love them. Light, mobile, and great protection. I would definitely recommend them. You can probably find them at a decent price anywhere.

Fits are a little hard to come by these days, I'm wondering if the U+12 compares favorably to the old Fit07. There isn't much feedback on here.

I have never been particularly bothered by shoulder pads, so I'm thinking a mid tier model that offers good mobility and is on the lighter end of the spectrum probably fits the bill for what I want.

I haven't checked out the Makos in person. They look kinda bulky, even on the he the low end model.... The reviews are good though.

I second the Fit07. Went to it from a jofa, and it's low profile and protective enough even for a checking league IMO. My favorite shoulder pads set I've used. A bit tough to find at retail level, so your best bet is to run through ebay every now and then to see if someone is trying to liquidate old stock.

I didn't think i needed shoulder pads for my beer league either. I ended up with a separated shoulder and rotator cuff strain in November and missed 2 months on hockey. I bought 20k's and couldn't be happier. I'll stick with too much protection now as to too little.

I didn't think i needed shoulder pads for my beer league either. I ended up with a separated shoulder and rotator cuff strain in November and missed 2 months on hockey. I bought 20k's and couldn't be happier. I'll stick with too much protection now as to too little.

I've been looking at the 20K shoulder pads. How do you like them?

After having to have my girlfriend put on my socks for a week and barely being able to walk for a month after a hockey injury, I will overprotect myself like crazy. I'm not doing that again.

I concur with the ccm fit 07 recommendations. Great adult league pad. I wrote a detailed review a while back, it's in the Equipment Review section.

I've been looking at the 20K shoulder pads. How do you like them?

After having to have my girlfriend put on my socks for a week and barely being able to walk for a month after a hockey injury, I will overprotect myself like crazy. I'm not doing that again.

I like them. They don't feel too bulky. Nice and light when they're on.

I second the Fit07. Went to it from a jofa, and it's low profile and protective enough even for a checking league IMO. My favorite shoulder pads set I've used. A bit tough to find at retail level, so your best bet is to run through ebay every now and then to see if someone is trying to liquidate old stock.

Looks like the older CCM Fits are almost the consensus for what I'm looking for. Maybe the new U+12 will work as well. Finding a Fit07 might be difficult as you said.

also to piggy back onto some of the CCM CL suggestions, is the CCM Crazy strong. Slightly heavier, not as perforated, not as moisture wicking, but about $50 cheaper on most online retailer websites.

not sure if they are your size, but someone has some U+ shoulders for sale in the for sale forum, they are from the higher end though so it might be "too much" protection for beer leagues.

I recently bought the APX shoulder pads. They are massive compared to the lowly Supreme one40 I had. It looks like I'm wearing a goalie chest protector. I can't even wear my large jersey anymore...need an XL now. :-P I think that I would prefer something less bulky, especially since I don't play in a high level check league.

also to piggy back onto some of the CCM CL suggestions, is the CCM Crazy strong. Slightly heavier, not as perforated, not as moisture wicking, but about $50 cheaper on most online retailer websites.

But are they bulkier?

not sure if they are your size, but someone has some U+ shoulders for sale in the for sale forum, they are from the higher end though so it might be "too much" protection for beer leagues.

Thanks, I saw that. But they are a Large and I need a Medium.

The entire new CCM line out is great, just need to find one that works for you at the price you want it to be at. Most of our team has made a switch over to some form of the current CCM Shoulder line. If you walked into our locker you'd probably think we had some sort of deal with them.