Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridindirty

Shoulder Pads for mens leagues

Absolutely the CCM Fit lineup, as well as the CL (same fit, much lighter materials though). That's what I'd be wearing if I went back to traditional shoulders.

For me, I'm still loving my Down Low shoulder pads. Unfortunately, they aren't being made anymore :( I'm going to have to replace the velcro on mine some point soon I think...

What I'd do to find another pair...

Thought I would update after 2 sessions in the Fit07's.'s,

They are a nice shoulder pad. When i tried them on before using them, they honestly didnt feel much less bulky than the Reebok 8k's, but playing in them you notice the difference. The bicep guard sits higher and the shoulder pad sits lower. Compared to my 8k's I do like them better, especially for beer league.

That being said, its too bad the Reeboks have such a big shoulder pad and the bicep guard wears lower, which makes them feel a little bulky in comparison. And its *really* too bad that the back of the clavicle guard sticks out so far... because in all honesty, its a better designed pad. If they were sleeker, Id prefer them for sure. It has way more individual segments than the CCM and its cut tighter around the rib cage, which makes the bottom half of the pad more mobile. I can see even after wearing them both why I liked the Reebok so much in the store.

But its a testament to the CCM that the Fit07 plays less bulky while have way less segments for freedom of movement. Certainly a good all around pad, especially for the price.

I have a pair of the Bauer Nexus 400 and love them for beer league. They're simple, light, mobile, and have decent shoulder protection for the minor contact in beer league. Plus, they're 40-45$. I think they're well worth it. I had a pair of CCM CS and got rid of them. They were definitely light but I've got pretty wide shoulders and I found that I didn't have the best mobility and given that I didn't need the extra protection for hits or blocking shots, I went back to something basic. Again, not a bad choice especially for the price.

"Men's league" = ?? Full body checking ?? or beer league (no checking) ??

I only do beer league, for which I find CCM CL to be great, if you do not mind shelling out the $$. If I were looking to spend under $60 and be light and still protected enough, then I would say Easton Mako M1. Or, the Bauer Supreme One.6 I think, whichever ones are the orange ones are super light, and also seem protective enough for beer league. Main difference with the CCM CL is that the CCM CL are pretty much hydrophobic, and I think that the Mako or Bauers will hold some water weight. I do not think that either would be too bad, however, but having never worn them, I am not sure.

For full body, I would probably go with something else, not sure what though.

Got cheapshotted pretty hard in the back in the CCM CLs and did not feel a thing, well, it felt like I got hit by a truck, but it did not hurt, and did not left a bruise or anything. I wrote about it in the protection section of the review that I posted (it was caught on video):

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63235-ccm-crazy-light-shoulder-pads/

FYI: if you're a small-ish guy like myself, this is pretty sick deal right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Hybrid-Shoulder-Pads-SENIOR/dp/B0087U6Z8Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392926415&sr=8-1&keywords=reebok+kfs+shoulder+pads

Probably won't find a cheaper brand new top line set of shoulder pads out there. Bought mine a week ago, upgraded from a CCM U+07 for beer league, been pleased with the results.

I'm someone who likes a lot of mobility and the old Reebok 3Ks (now being sold as the XTK) are great. Lots of mobility and better protection than the Sherwoods out there. Real light too.

FYI: if you're a small-ish guy like myself, this is pretty sick deal right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Hybrid-Shoulder-Pads-SENIOR/dp/B0087U6Z8Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392926415&sr=8-1&keywords=reebok+kfs+shoulder+pads

Probably won't find a cheaper brand new top line set of shoulder pads out there. Bought mine a week ago, upgraded from a CCM U+07 for beer league, been pleased with the results.

Man I always replace gear and then find a much better value immediately after.

I just got into some U+ Fit 09's, excellent pads for rec play. I don't notice them other than them being a little warm for Florida rinks. The freedom of movement about the shoulder is phenomenal and worth the extra bit of sweat... crossing an arm across my chest is completely unhindered and very natural. I came from the Warrior Method which is almost comically bulky so life in pick-up is pretty good right now.

I didn't think i needed shoulder pads for my beer league either. I ended up with a separated shoulder and rotator cuff strain in November and missed 2 months on hockey. I bought 20k's and couldn't be happier. I'll stick with too much protection now as to too little.

Just curious, did you research different pad options for shoulder protection before settling on the 20K?

After having to have my girlfriend put on my socks for a week and barely being able to walk for a month after a hockey injury, I will overprotect myself like crazy. I'm not doing that again.

Since this posting have you settled on the 20K or any other pad and do you like them?

My AC seperation wasn't as serious as what you guys went through, but now I can relate, you really never think about this stuff until it happens.

I too am looking for more protection and looking at either the 20K or the TotalOne and don't have the opportunity to check these out up close.

Since this posting have you settled on the 20K or any other pad and do you like them?

I still haven't upgraded my shoulder pads yet. I did upgrade my pants with ones that come up higher and have way more protection. I have also started wearing a padded shirt under my shoulder pads.

Just curious, did you research different pad options for shoulder protection before settling on the 20K?

My AC seperation wasn't as serious as what you guys went through, but now I can relate, you really never think about this stuff until it happens.

I too am looking for more protection and looking at either the 20K or the TotalOne and don't have the opportunity to check these out up close.

I tried on the ccm cl's before and didn't like the fit for me. I had Warrior Projekts prior to these but had cut the shoulder caps off. I picked the 20k's due to there light weight and pro protection. I will be using these for the forseeable future.

I play in a Canadian B division mens league. Although it is non checking there is plenty of contact. I have taken multiple hits in the same spot and haven't felt a thing.

If you were not in a rush I would wait to see the apx2, and RBZ pads and compare them with the 20k's. They look like light weight options as well.

Word has it the RBZ line will be available at retail stores May 30th. I'm needing a pair of shoulders for beer league and am going to hold out for the RBZ line.

Word has it the RBZ line will be available at retail stores May 30th. I'm needing a pair of shoulders for beer league and am going to hold out for the RBZ line.

Me too.

any idea on price point?

I'm thinking the CCMs might be my choice for shoulder pads.

I never understood why people wouldn't want the most protection possible. I like feeling indestructible. It lets me survive stupid decisions :D

There are some pretty good deals out there right now on the CL front.

CL meaning CraigsList?

Nope, I was talking about the Crazy Light shoulders. They are onsale everywhere because the new RBZ line is coming out soon. There are some definite tweeks on the new RBZ shoulders but the Crazy Lights are pretty exceptional from a weight and flexbility front, especially at the price right now. They have great low profile shoulder caps but I don't think anyone on here would argue they are the most protective out there.

any idea on price point?

I'm thinking the CCMs might be my choice for shoulder pads.

I never understood why people wouldn't want the most protection possible. I like feeling indestructible. It lets me survive stupid decisions :D

CL meaning CraigsList?

I've seen them locally at a LHS for 130-140$ and you can get a similar price online (hockeymonkey or hockeygiant). Pricey, but they're well worth it.