Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

I've fit in about 10 ice times so far in my Tacks and they're amazing. I came from Graf Supra 709's that I've had for 7-8 years, so it's nice having a light skate for once (plus the Hyperglide runner is awesome steel). I had them baked twice to work out a few pressure points around the fat part of my foot (whatever that's called) and now they fit great. Definitely a stiff boot, and I can understand CCM's claim to have the most explosive first 5 strides.

I fit into a 5.5D and inquired about the difference between the JR and SR tacks from multiple sources, and they all said that the construction of the skate is identical. My feet seemed to be swimming in the 6, but felt good in the 5.5, so perhaps there is a pretty big gap in volume. They also felt much better after baking as the previous poster's image shows.

How do you find the volume after then 709s?

I am looking for new skates but can't get hold of Graf. Tried the nexus 1000 and the Tacks. I felt the tacks has a nicer forefoot/toebox although the were a half size bigger (no 7.5ee tacks at the time). I just pass the pen is test but the top of my foot is ever so slightly out of the skate and with the tongue it bulges a little.

Interested to see your opinion coming from the 709 which was recommended to me....

How do you find the volume after then 709s?

I am looking for new skates but can't get hold of Graf. Tried the nexus 1000 and the Tacks. I felt the tacks has a nicer forefoot/toebox although the were a half size bigger (no 7.5ee tacks at the time). I just pass the pen is test but the top of my foot is ever so slightly out of the skate and with the tongue it bulges a little.

Interested to see your opinion coming from the 709 which was recommended to me....

By the sounds of it, you definitely need a skate with a lot of volume. My feet aren't big, but they are pretty wide. I was a EE in basically every other line of skate, however my Tacks are a D. Unfortunately when I got my 709's, they weren't sized properly so even though they were incredibly comfortable, they were probably too big for me. As a result, I had a lot of space at the toebox and it's something I just got used to. The Tacks' toebox feels similar, I have room to wiggle my toes which I prefer, although it's a bit more narrow than the 709s (could be due to a better fitting skate though). Overall though, the Tacks are definitely a snugger fit compared to the 709's. If you're bulging the tongue a bit, then it may become a problem after several skates. You could also always try keeping the top eyelet unlaced.

Did you try the Nexus 8000? It's the next new and improved Nexus 1000; still the traditional fit and lots of volume (I was swimming in it), but it's now made a bit more to be anatomically correct.

Funnily enough I have just put an order in. Went to an "open day" at the skate shop and tried on loads. The nexus 8000 7 fit the best but a little too short. They never had a 7.5 so I got them to order one at 15% discount (due to the open day). The tacks were too narrow in a D and they only had a 7. Changing both length and width was too risky as it was more than just one variable to change. The supreme MX3 fit well, very snug all over, maybe a little tight, with only a small hotspot but I went with the Nexus as my foot fit flatter in them and a little more depth was safer. I'll find out on Tuesday whether is a few days or a few weeks wait for the delivery. £525 is not a bad price either. Still wondering if the half size up might make them too loose and maybe I should have taken the supreme MX3 but they won't bake until you buy and then it could be too late.

Any feedback on the middle of the pack model? Seeing what's best bang for buck.

The 5052 is a very nice skate and I feel is an excellent value. In my totally subjective non-scientific opinion, I'd place it right between the Supreme One.8 and One.9.

BUMP!!! Lets get some more feedback :)

How many times can these Skates be baked? I've had them baked twice, in that time I've only been able to use them once and I feel almost like they should be baked again?

General rule of thumb as I see it for high end skates is no more than three times.

Overall rule of thumb for all skates is that the more you bake it, the more it breaks in and breaks down. If you feel the skate could be even more worked in and comfortable, then by all means go for #3.

HOWEVER, as you said, you only skated in them once, so naturally and obviously, you should attempt to give them at least a few more sessions of hard skating.

What are you trying to accomplish or gain through baking them again?

Does something not feel right? A pressure point? Wrap?

Ya its like the wrap has reverted back to what it was like pre-bake.

After the next bake, if you so choose, take the skates off your feet after baking and properly moulding on your foot, and tie them up losely (like you would on your foot, but looser).

Leave them this way to cool overnight. It might help the wrap keep a bit of shape.

Ya its like the wrap has reverted back to what it was like pre-bake.

Good advice from Aireaye and Davetronz. These are very stiff skates. They take time to feel good to your foot, but they are thus far a great skate imho.

I got them baked initially and got in a good 4-5 ice times before going back to get them baked a second time to work out a few pressure points. I thought I would have to get them punched because they're such a stiff skate, but the second bake helped a lot and after that they've been perfect.

In my limited time skating in these, I can say they're a very good skate. Are they a game changer in terms of hockey skate? No. Do they indeed give you the fastest first strides in hockey? Not sure. What I can say is this. Because these are a very stiff skate, they give me the most stable start I've every experienced in a skate, and that's very important in my book. My starts always feel "locked in" if that makes any sense, and it gives me sure footing when I'm skating. These are also extremely comfortable skates once baked/broken in for such a stiff boot as well. Also, I do feel I am able to make much tighter/sharper turns when really leaning into my edges because of the raised towers on the holder. However, that's more about the towers than the skates; it seems most manufacturers are leaning to that trend, making holder towers taller.

The one thing I will say that separates these skates from all other brands though is the 30-day guarantee. Gives you a lot of confidence when trying the skate out since you can get your money back, regardless of reason, and regardless of whether you baked/sharpened the skates. Of course, this only applies to the top level Tack model.

Yea it sounds like we have the same feet. The 5.5 did feel a bit tight in the toe box width (D) and even if I go with EE, I feel like I'd get some lace bite because my foot was really pushing the tongue out. The 6 is just a tad too long for my preference (2 longest toes barely touching the end standing straight up) but it'll probably be the safer size to go with as the rest of the skate fits fine.

You should stick with the 5.5 EE. I'm in the same boat as you with trying on the size 6 in a EE (which were a tad too long). I went to try on and eventually purchased the skates in a 5.5 EE. I noticed the volume drop, however I felt like there wasn't that much of a difference in volume compared to the size 6. You can always make your skate longer/wider, but can never shorten it. Don't make the same mistake I did with trying to compensate width for length.

Been a long time reader but first time posting, so Hello to all. I was watching the MacKinnon vs Hamelin video on NHL.com and noticed that he skips the second eyelets from the bottom. Seen eyelets around the top skipped for forward flex but was wondering if anyone has tried this before and if it helps with width issues. Is anyone familiar if MacKinnon has always done this or just for the tacks?ScreenShot2014-10-06at50925PM_zps55148eb

Finally got a pair of these for my bantam aged daughter. She is a strong skater and has played AAA level since she was a first year squirt. She is coming off Easton RS skates, which she really loved for their comfort. However, in terms of performance, these things are a completely different beast. Her sharp turns are sharper, her acceleration is better, her top speed is the same although she gets there quicker, and they felt great on her feet an hour into the first skate. She also claims that they feel much lighter on her feet... And the RS skates are not exactly boat anchors. All in all, a very good purchase. CCM is really stepping up their game with these skates. They are the first junior skate I have seen that come with a sole insert (maybe I got a special deal there) as well as top end steel. If they fit your feet, we highly recommend them. At $150 more, I can't imagine the APX2 or MX3 are any better... Just the "sexier" choice.

Finally got a pair of these for my bantam aged daughter. She is a strong skater and has played AAA level since she was a first year squirt. She is coming off Easton RS skates, which she really loved for their comfort. However, in terms of performance, these things are a completely different beast. Her sharp turns are sharper, her acceleration is better, her top speed is the same although she gets there quicker, and they felt great on her feet an hour into the first skate. She also claims that they feel much lighter on her feet... And the RS skates are not exactly boat anchors. All in all, a very good purchase. CCM is really stepping up their game with these skates. They are the first junior skate I have seen that come with a sole insert (maybe I got a special deal there) as well as top end steel. If they fit your feet, we highly recommend them. At $150 more, I can't imagine the APX2 or MX3 are any better... Just the "sexier" choice.

Pretty accurate description imho. These are a great skate for quick/more stable starts, and the heightened towers on the holder certainly allow for tighter/sharper turns. Just a great skate overall. I will say though that the MX3 are a fantastic boot too (might have a touch better heel lock). I think what separates the CCM Tacks though is the 30 day (not matter what) warranty. I wish all manufacturers offered this since skates are such a finicky fit in general.

I hesitate to compare them to the MX3 due to price point. My gut feel though after comparing them side to side is that the MX3 has some aesthetic features that I am sure add a few dollars to the price. Should price be taken out of the equation, I think the Tacks is a quality enough product that biuying decision should come down to fit and personal preference. I would not have said that just a few years ago about CCM's top offering for skates. I like the direction they are headed. NOW, if they can take the Ribcor skate and change the appearance of it and remove the pump "feature", then they may be on the right track to offer a serious alternative to the Vapor line.

I think what separates the CCM Tacks though is the 30 day (not matter what) warranty. I wish all manufacturers offered this since skates are such a finicky fit in general.

Every brand (Mission/CCM/Easton) has offered that in the past years except for Bauer. The other brands need to find a way to have consumers try their product, so that's a way to do it.

I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of Tacks for Christmas, and am debating whether I should get the 6052's or the top end model, and am trying to get some opinions on what the pros and cons of each are. For background I'm a pretty new player, I just started playing in an adult learn to play program (1 hr skills then 1 hr game 2x a week) in April, though I've progressed fairly quickly to the point where I'm one of the better players in the program and can hang in against most of the ringers that come to play in the game. I also try to get in a public skate or two each week when I can. I've been skating on a pair of Vapor X70's which are fairly comfortable if I lace them perfectly, otherwise they kill my feet. I tried on a pair of the 3052's at Dicks and they felt great, and I figured if I'm going to drop money on new skates I want to make sure that they're gonna last me a good 4-5 years which is why I'm looking at the top two models. That being said there's a pretty steep jump in price between the 6052 and the top end skate, and would like to get a consensus on whether or not there's anything special about the Tacks to justify the extra cash. I'm also wondering if the 30 day trial is worth the extra cost itself

I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of Tacks for Christmas, and am debating whether I should get the 6052's or the top end model, and am trying to get some opinions on what the pros and cons of each are. For background I'm a pretty new player, I just started playing in an adult learn to play program (1 hr skills then 1 hr game 2x a week) in April, though I've progressed fairly quickly to the point where I'm one of the better players in the program and can hang in against most of the ringers that come to play in the game. I also try to get in a public skate or two each week when I can. I've been skating on a pair of Vapor X70's which are fairly comfortable if I lace them perfectly, otherwise they kill my feet. I tried on a pair of the 3052's at Dicks and they felt great, and I figured if I'm going to drop money on new skates I want to make sure that they're gonna last me a good 4-5 years which is why I'm looking at the top two models. That being said there's a pretty steep jump in price between the 6052 and the top end skate, and would like to get a consensus on whether or not there's anything special about the Tacks to justify the extra cash. I'm also wondering if the 30 day trial is worth the extra cost itself

I looked at both and ultimately went with the top tier Tacks because it's the only model that they officially have the 30 day guarantee on. (according to their fine print) This was a big deal to me, cause I've had fit problems in the past after skating on skates for a couple of sessions, and then not being able to return them due to baking/sharpening, etc.

IMHO:

Major differences between skates:

-as already stated - price difference & 30 day guarantee on the top level Tacks

-Tacks have HyperGlide runners. 6052 have the SB Stainless. I think HG runners are higher quality, hold edges better/longer, and virtually no burrs when sharpening. Significant upgrade in steel with top model.

-Tacks come with CCM custom footbeds included ($50 if you buy them separately). This is a significant upgrade only if your foot works with them.

Minor differences between skates:

-Tacks are slightly stiffer all around than 6052.

-materials overall are slightly of higher grade, such as the tongue, liner, etc. on the top level boot.

Both are great skates and so far the build/durability on them are pretty good. Make sure to bake as these are totally different feeling skates post-bake. (for the better)

For your purposes, as a fairly new player and someone who won't be on the ice 10+ hours a week, the features of the flagship model over the 6052 are probably negligible. The stiffness upgrade will give you better support, but the major difference in the technology is the energy transfer through the ATTACKFRAME composite zone, which in my experience it takes a very strong skater to fully utilize, and for many beginners, the stiffness of a high-end boot can actually become a disadvantage. For you, I think it should really come down to the 30-day fit guarantee vs. the price difference. If you try them on in your local shop and they feel great out of the box then the 6052 is probably plenty of skate for you. If you aren't so sure that they're the perfect fit then maybe the opt-out clause that the top model provides is worth the extra coin.