Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

This is going to get ugly, and quick! Another wonderfully made product going way of the recall line...

Not sure I follow what you mean...if the Tacks are wonderfully made why will there be recalls?

So can anyone divulge any details? Are the Thailand ones the ones with issues? Picked up the 6052s and love the fit and feel. Feel free to message me if it is not to be made public (yet).

I feel partially responsible for the aforementioned concerns regarding the skates.

I should re-emphasize the purpose of my post was rather to say how excellent I thought they were, not create any sort of percieved 'issues' of the skate integrity itself. Again I am coming from a 16 year old Nike Quest skate but these Tacks feel fantastic. In regards to the construction they seem robust and tough, with no percieved compromise or variance to that perception after baking. I have yet to skate on them so that is also just an intuitive impression.

I would just proffer most people could ostensibly do great with one bake but I would not recommend the stock white laces since they don't hold form in the tightening down aspect at all, and I'd imagine thats the case with any skate with those laces since they have no bite. I'd suggest baking laceless and then popping in waxed laces immediately following to truly customize your fit.

Thanks guys, J

Hey all. It's great to see the Tacks Skates having it's own thread. We appreciate the interest in our products. One major selling points in all of our skates is the molding process. Our skates may look wide on the wall but our skates COMPLETELY wrap and contour to your foot giving you the best possible performance. Also we offer a 30 day fit guarantee program where if you buy the skates and you are dis-satisfied for ANY reason you can return them and get your money back.

Like I said, our heat molding process is a huge plus and feature in our skates. Please please please keep in mind that the skates should be baked 1 at a time with the TOE in first. That way the hot air circulates around the entire skate. Most ovens both skates cannot fit both skates. Also you don't want the other skate to cool while you are lacing the other. It's SO important not to CRANK these laces and to "normally" lace them. This baking process should be 2 minutes long. You may re heat the skate in the future if needed.

I hope all this information helps. I will be popping on this thread and the message boards when I can.

See all of you at Summer Jam who are participating!

Jeff Kotcher

Reebok-CCM NY FaST Agent

I'd suggest baking laceless and then popping in waxed laces immediately following to truly customize your fit.

The problem with this is, by the time you get your skate laced, they will have cooled down. Stock laces are fine for the baking process.

Does anyone know if the there are differences(stiffness or materials) between the JR and SR Tacks at all other than the overall size? I fit a 6 but I do prefer a very snug fit so I'm considering going down to a 5.5 which would be going down to the JR sizes.

Tried on the Tacks skates today. Would say that the fit is very similar to the Supreme in the forefoot and depth, but the heel felt wider. Did not bake them as there wasn't time. Was pleasantly surprised with how much forward flex there was. Overall impression was positive.

Alright guys, after the less favorable feedback I got on my purchasing experience I swapped out my skates today. The was precipitated mainly by my first pair being too small ultimately and was causing some significant untenable smashed toes in actual use. I went a half size up and I think I am all set now.

This time I did everything 'right' in accordance to the feedback on this forum which was very helpful. just one bake, 2 minute bake time, one skate at a time, didn't over crank the laces. Seems to have worked great. The Tacks have apparently been selling well here. I love these skates, they are really fantastic. Thanks for the help everyone.

Alright guys, after the less favorable feedback I got on my purchasing experience I swapped out my skates today. The was precipitated mainly by my first pair being too small ultimately and was causing some significant untenable smashed toes in actual use. I went a half size up and I think I am all set now.

This time I did everything 'right' in accordance to the feedback on this forum which was very helpful. just one bake, 2 minute bake time, one skate at a time, didn't over crank the laces. Seems to have worked great. The Tacks have apparently been selling well here. I love these skates, they are really fantastic. Thanks for the help everyone.

I mean no offense here but the (very specific) directions are taped onto the box. I feel that your pro shop did you wrong by grossly neglecting those instructions as evidenced by your pictures.

Butters - The construction seemed the same between the junior Tacks and senior Tacks but, at least for me, there is a large drop in volume between the junior 5.5 and the senior 6. Also, the toe cap seemed more narrow as well.

Unfortunately, I need the volume of the senior boot but a 1/4 size smaller than the senior 6. :( I like my skate snug

I mean no offense here but the (very specific) directions are taped onto the box. I feel that your pro shop did you wrong by grossly neglecting those instructions as evidenced by your pictures.

medic_jajs I totally agree with you while still maintaining my own responsibility/ignorance of the process. In fairness to the shop they took the return / exchange with zero resistance and were very helpful getting me into the right size and making the exchange easy. So it worked out and some good things were learned in the process.

on an unrelated topic I also tried the Nexus 8000 on a whim and was surprised to find it very similar in fit to the tacks, with a slightly wider toebox.

The dilemma I'm facing is to get the 6052's or the Pro-Tacks? A significant price difference - it the performance between the two noticeably different. Is it just the polished blade that's different?

Thanks

Butters - The construction seemed the same between the junior Tacks and senior Tacks but, at least for me, there is a large drop in volume between the junior 5.5 and the senior 6. Also, the toe cap seemed more narrow as well.

Unfortunately, I need the volume of the senior boot but a 1/4 size smaller than the senior 6. :( I like my skate snug

Yea it sounds like we have the same feet. The 5.5 did feel a bit tight in the toe box width (D) and even if I go with EE, I feel like I'd get some lace bite because my foot was really pushing the tongue out. The 6 is just a tad too long for my preference (2 longest toes barely touching the end standing straight up) but it'll probably be the safer size to go with as the rest of the skate fits fine.

I might hit my LHS and check these skate out. I liked the Nexus but thought the forefoot was too-wide for me so maybe the Tacks will agree with my foot. Anyone have any ideas on stiffness between the models? I'm in a Eq50 which I think is a bit stiffer than I'd like.

I am not going to spend the money on the top O the line Tacks, looking at the 5052 or 4052 price range ( and skill level).

Lol @ price point of a skate model and the hockey skill level of an individual having anything to do with each other

how is it that we connect these 2 things ?

I think there is a correlation. Most skaters aren't going to be able to squeeze the last bit of performance from the top end model and are more than fine in a lower priced model. By the same token, a good majority of the grouping I just called "most skaters" think they can and will buy the top end model just the same.

Lol @ price point of a skate model and the hockey skill level of an individual having anything to do with each other

how is it that we connect these 2 things ?

Ask the vast majority of people here who make a living in the hockey industry what those two have to do with each other.

An extremely heavy lower level skater may need the stiffness that comes with a higher price point skate model, but most lower level skaters can't flex a stiff boot to the degree needed to skate well due to either undeveloped technique or leg strength, or both. There will always be exceptions, but most lower level beer leaguers don't need a pro level skate. I play with guys that can fly on the ice and none of them are in pro skates. Stiff skates can actually " be limiting oneself" as you say.

Anyone have any ice time on these yet?

Skated on them at SummerJam. They are insanely stiff, yes, but on the ice, it's not nearly as noticeable. I felt the fit was more of a Supreme fit, but the toe box was where I really felt comfortable. I usually wear a Nexus skate, and love having a wide toe box, the Tacks kind of felt the same. I was very impressed with them, even though it was one two hour skate. No pain whatsoever though.

Also, found this picture the FaST team tweeted earlier quite interesting. Baked skate vs. out-of-the-box

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bu28fBpIcAAczE9.jpgBu28fBpIcAAczE9.jpg

I've fit in about 10 ice times so far in my Tacks and they're amazing. I came from Graf Supra 709's that I've had for 7-8 years, so it's nice having a light skate for once (plus the Hyperglide runner is awesome steel). I had them baked twice to work out a few pressure points around the fat part of my foot (whatever that's called) and now they fit great. Definitely a stiff boot, and I can understand CCM's claim to have the most explosive first 5 strides.

Does anyone know if the there are differences(stiffness or materials) between the JR and SR Tacks at all other than the overall size? I fit a 6 but I do prefer a very snug fit so I'm considering going down to a 5.5 which would be going down to the JR sizes.

I fit into a 5.5D and inquired about the difference between the JR and SR tacks from multiple sources, and they all said that the construction of the skate is identical. My feet seemed to be swimming in the 6, but felt good in the 5.5, so perhaps there is a pretty big gap in volume. They also felt much better after baking as the previous poster's image shows.