Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

For me, they felt closer to a Supreme fit than Vapor but it's not like they fit as anatomical like the Curv Quarter Package. As per usual with CCM, they felt outstanding right out of the box. Haven't had a chance to bake mine but I can say they have a Vapor-like aggressive forward pitch. Love the stiffness from the AttackFrame, the toe box looks a little wide when you look down at it but it doesn't feel wide.

The RBZ's are too wide for my feet and the RibCor's felt a little too narrow and too soft for my taste, so these Tacks easily take the cake for my favorite current Reebok/CCM skate. Hoping to throw the Black SpeedBlade Runners on them soon too!

So maybe a Tacks skate in D width is like a Vapor D1/2 (if that existed) or like a Supreme, D-1/2. Interesting. Supreme D was too wide for me, Vapors are pretty much a solid fit, but with a slightly too narrow forefoot. Might end up being I just go with Vapor again but punch the sides out a touch.

I am not sure how much can be said... but are these the Bauer fighters that some of us are hoping for? I like the Mako II as well, but the concept still seems gimmicky to me. I could be (and probably are) way off base with that assumption though. I just can't seem to find a Bauer skate that I like well enough, or fits just right.

Average fit all around. Think Supreme for the most similar Bauer skate line fit. I found the length on Tacks 8.0 D just a hair longer than my MX3 8.0 D (That could just be me)

As Chase stated, they have an aggressive forward pitch. You really notice it when skating

Be careful when molding them, they are more pliable than most skates at normal bake times

Sounds like the Tacks might be too wide for me. Would these be offered in a C width at all for people with regular to narrow feet? Sounds like CCM is giving the middle finger to us non wide footed people with the RBZ and the Tacks that seem to not really compete with Vapor as far as size goes. Once CCM totally absorbs Reebok.. Would their 3rd line be more of a grab at Vapor users?

I found the fore foot to be very similar to the vapor fit, maybe a bit less volume. I'm a 10 in APX and demo'd a pair of 9's. Skate was very comfortable. It was funny to watch the Bauer table being ignored while the CCM gear was fawnwd over. Lots of interest in the skates.

CCM is stepping their game up. The Tacks stick is incredible. Felt very similar to a One95 to me. Soft feeling blade and a nice smooth mid kick. People will like it when it's released.

Yet I cannot seem to like the fit of Tacks and find the RBZ fit much closer to Supreme than Tacks, which I compare to Nexus save for the slightly narrower forefoot.

That would be an interesting fit for me. I tried on Nexus skates and wished the forefoot was narrower. But I loved the heel lock of the Nexus. Can anyone compare the fit of these new Tacks to a Eq50? I'd be in Vapors if they locked in my heels, so maybe these are worth a try one once they hit the shelves, but not the high end model. I'll wait for the mid range models.

Regarding all the controversy of the name and the heel wedge, I don't see the big deal. I agree with the post earlier, fit, function, durability and acceptable cost are my criteria. I had 652's for a while but I am not hung up on a CCM skate called Tacks that doesn't have a heel wedge, or some cosmetically appled wedge. New technology doesn't need an extra piece of plastic to thread your laces thru anymore, and really old Tacks didn't have the wedge either. I know some are nostalgic about those heel wedge Tacks, but even though my first cars had carburetors, I'd never want to go back to them as a daily driver. Heel wedge = carburetor, new materials = direct port fuel injection.

Honestly - at first I didn't think the heel wedge was needed, but after seeing MacKinnon from the 2nd row at JLA during a game and then in person, I changed my mind - it's missing shelf/TV pop.

To me it looks like they were trying to make it look like a Supreme. To that end they failed. It's been a really long time since there was a good CCM skate.

Good or good looking? I know guys in the CLs that really like them and I've heard positives about the RBZs. I agree that they should have done a better job of visually differentiating themselves from Bauer skates.

Good or good looking? I know guys in the CLs that really like them and I've heard positives about the RBZs. I agree that they should have done a better job of visually differentiating themselves from Bauer skates.

i think both of those were excellent skates as well

That would be an interesting fit for me. I tried on Nexus skates and wished the forefoot was narrower. But I loved the heel lock of the Nexus. Can anyone compare the fit of these new Tacks to a Eq50? I'd be in Vapors if they locked in my heels, so maybe these are worth a try one once they hit the shelves, but not the high end model. I'll wait for the mid range models.

Regarding all the controversy of the name and the heel wedge, I don't see the big deal. I agree with the post earlier, fit, function, durability and acceptable cost are my criteria. I had 652's for a while but I am not hung up on a CCM skate called Tacks that doesn't have a heel wedge, or some cosmetically appled wedge. New technology doesn't need an extra piece of plastic to thread your laces thru anymore, and really old Tacks didn't have the wedge either. I know some are nostalgic about those heel wedge Tacks, but even though my first cars had carburetors, I'd never want to go back to them as a daily driver. Heel wedge = carburetor, new materials = direct port fuel injection.

EQ50 had a narrower heel. I thought the back end was close to Supreme. About the same width as Supreme too if not a bit narrower.

i think both of those were excellent skates as well

I'd say that they were a step in the right direction, but I would not call them excellent. Problem is I have been pretty much spoiled by the last 4 iterations of Supreme's, starting with the One95.

I don't think they were trying to look like Supremes. If anything I'd say they look more like Graf's. Up close you see the colors but from the seats they look mostly black. I like the color scheme.

Does anyone who has been able to try a pair on know whether these will be sized like the RBZ, or will they be sized like the CL and U+ skates? The RBZ's sizing really threw things off for me in predicting sizes.

They will be sized like the CL skates. RBZ uses their own scale. Reebok/CCM states that Tacks & Reebok fit 1.5 sizes down from shoe, whereas RBZ sizes 2 down. Obviously everyone is different. I wear 9.5 shoe and take a 7.5 Reebok/Tacks and a 7 RBZ.

Where have you been trying on Tacks? The hockeymonkey near me says they won't have any in until middle to end of August.

They will be sized like the CL skates. RBZ uses their own scale. Reebok/CCM states that Tacks & Reebok fit 1.5 sizes down from shoe, whereas RBZ sizes 2 down. Obviously everyone is different. I wear 9.5 shoe and take a 7.5 Reebok/Tacks and a 7 RBZ.

Cool, thanks. I'm the same sizing as you. I was shocked that I probably could have went in an RBZ that was between a 6.5 and a 7.0

It threw the whole world off kilter for me!

@ AIREAYE - Too bad I'm no where near Toronto :-/

How is it that you have some, but a huge chain like hockeymonkey does not? How are they fitting compared to a Vapor D width boot?

HM probably does have them, they are just not available to the general public yet. Our store has also received some of our Tacks shipment, so our guys can look at them and try them on, but they are not out for the public to play with or see till the release date.

Cool, thanks. I'm the same sizing as you. I was shocked that I probably could have went in an RBZ that was between a 6.5 and a 7.0

It threw the whole world off kilter for me!

Yeah honestly. If I preferred my skates a little closer in the toebox, I probably could've dropped to a 6.5 LOL

@ AIREAYE - Too bad I'm no where near Toronto :-/

How is it that you have some, but a huge chain like hockeymonkey does not? How are they fitting compared to a Vapor D width boot?

Like jsykes said, they probably have them all in their DCs or whatever. Weird your store said August because they're supposed to come out on the 18th. Maybe a logistical issue?

They are wider than Vapor, narrower than Nexus. Kind of like Supreme.

Yeah honestly. If I preferred my skates a little closer in the toebox, I probably could've dropped to a 6.5 LOL

Like jsykes said, they probably have them all in their DCs or whatever. Weird your store said August because they're supposed to come out on the 18th. Maybe a logistical issue?

They are wider than Vapor, narrower than Nexus. Kind of like Supreme.

Hmmm, well I have pretty much a true Vapor D width, so I'm betting they will be too wide for me then...