Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

If the forefoot width is a little wider than vapor, that would be great for me? Is the toe box a little wider than a Vapor D?

How about the volume/depth?

I have Ribcor's right now, and am curious as to whether the Tacks may provide me with a better fit..

If the fit is similar to a Supreme, how is the arch on the Tacks? I'd likely be in a Supreme but my arches can't take them. Making do with Eq50's for now.

Josh is right, CCM gave dealers a great infographic package detailing the different fit styles of their 3 skate line. It seems that more samples are needed to get a general rule of thumb in comparing Bauer fits, if there even could exist one.

Do you think the infographic package will be made public (on CCM website or a catalog) slightly before or at their release date, or is this information just for LHS's only? Would love to see how CCM describes the fit styles.

No idea, maybe. It's well drawn and designed, but the info essentially states the sizing guide and the fact that it's Reebok-Tacks-RBZ in that order in terms of width (heel, toebox, forefoot) and depth in that order.

How is the heel lock on these? I love my Supremes, but my heels slip too much in them.

That would depend on the shape of your heel wouldn't it? :wink:

So I have a pair of MX3 Customs currently, they feel great but weigh a bit much. I considered changing my skates if the right one came along and so far I've had every top of the line skate on my feet and today the tacks. Nothing else even came close to my MX3s but I guess that's what you get for shelling out a small child's worth of cash to get em. I tried on a pair of tacks today and... Nice. I'm considering swapping them out.

What I noticed in the store (unbaked skates mine you, I bet these things mold like crazy lights too)

It felt like a hybrid. I would not call it a Supreme, Vapor or anything in particular but this...

Toe box felt just like the Vapor line

Excellent arch support

Excellent heel lock

Ankle support is top notch too, it really wraps well near the top two eyelets

My Supremes have quarters and facing +2 sizes over what the skate is to accommodate for my feet, to get the lacing flush so I don't get lace bite. I wear an E and EE skate in Bauer. I tried on an 8 D and felt 0 pain or pressure in the toe box and the facing/quarters gave me a pencil test passing flush lace up top to bottom in a stock boot.

This is exciting, kind of, considering I've got under 12 skates on my Bauer. They just felt great unbaked, I can only imagine throwing some heat at em.

So I have a pair of MX3 Customs currently, they feel great but weigh a bit much. I considered changing my skates if the right one came along and so far I've had every top of the line skate on my feet and today the tacks. Nothing else even came close to my MX3s but I guess that's what you get for shelling out a small child's worth of cash to get em. I tried on a pair of tacks today and... Nice. I'm considering swapping them out.

What I noticed in the store (unbaked skates mine you, I bet these things mold like crazy lights too)

It felt like a hybrid. I would not call it a Supreme, Vapor or anything in particular but this...

Toe box felt just like the Vapor line

Excellent arch support

Excellent heel lock

Ankle support is top notch too, it really wraps well near the top two eyelets

My Supremes have quarters and facing +2 sizes over what the skate is to accommodate for my feet, to get the lacing flush so I don't get lace bite. I wear an E and EE skate in Bauer. I tried on an 8 D and felt 0 pain or pressure in the toe box and the facing/quarters gave me a pencil test passing flush lace up top to bottom in a stock boot.

This is exciting, kind of, considering I've got under 12 skates on my Bauer. They just felt great unbaked, I can only imagine throwing some heat at em.

You think the MX3's are too heavy??

I have supreme tongues, 2 sizes larger facing and quarters, B width heel and traditional eyelets. It adds up especially with extra stiffness and reinforced eyelets

Hi Folks, my first post on this forum. Happy to be here. I just wanted to share some fun photos from my Tacks purchase today. Big day for me. My last pair of skates were the Nike Quest 1's- about 16 years old. In my investigation of getting a modern pair of skates it turns out I have been wearing the wrong type of skate fit profile for my foot shape- tall arch, very high volume with a narrow heel and normal width forefoot. Tall and narrow essentially. I had tried everything else months ago and it did not work. MX3, APX2, Ribcor, Nexus, RBZ and so forth. Nothing worked at all. The Ribcor felt best but I was bursting out of them and had I not been educated by the sales staff I would have bought those and probably been happy to skate with the wrong type of fit. The Quests I own were low volume and I always found them awkward to put on since the tongue would creep above the eyelet, but I never gave it much thought or thought that it was abnormal.

Long story short, my choices were down to Graf 9035 and the New Tacks. The 9035 was pretty close but ultimately with the giant padded tongue I was way above the eyelets again. I'll say the 9035 has some really satisfying ergonomic and comfort-refined interior design/build quality. Seems much nicer than any other topline skate. If you are medium or even medium high volume plus the plush tongue would be a fantastic choice. If the 9035 fits your foot, they could potentially be the most comfortable skate available.

My discovery about the new Tacks- they have very very high volume and are narrow/normal D width overall. Very surprised and elated by this realization. Finally a skate that fits.

I will say that the CCM skates off the rack are quite stiff and the lacing panels stand straight up. The RBZ are worse to the point where it seems like a misstep from a marketing standpoint. Even with the narrower Tacks, you really cannot lace them with their dinky supplied laces and try to get any tight fit whatsoever without them being baked. It's really difficult to gauge if they will work unbaked and the hockey store wants a fairly good sense that you'll want to buy the skates before they bake them.

After the first bake they got a bit better but again with those tiny laces slipping I was unable to effectuate any sort of real force and holding property never mind get that sort of burrito-wrap feeling.

We let them cool for some time and baked them again with the supplied laces completely removed. This time I immediately put fat Elite waxed laces on a quickly as possible and cranked down the skate around my foot and the wax laces really held the boot in place. To further the wrap effect I then taped the majority of the boot with sock tape to fully mummify the entire setup and let sit for about 20 minutes. The method worked fantastic. It really wraps around your foot and finally- no fitment issues! So if it works for you, I recommend waxed laces after the bake, and then tape the whole skate for a full wrap. If you have gaffers tape it will work even better.

That's it for now. High volume. That's the takeaway here and I finally got some skates that fit.

Thanks guys,

James

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo2copy2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1copy2.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo1copy.jpg

photo2copy.jpg

This is going to get ugly, and quick! Another wonderfully made product going way of the recall line...

Are you referring to the skates in the post above most likely having to be sent back due to damage done while taping and re baking, or alluding to some sort of manufacturing defect/design flaw ? Just want to make sure I'm reading your post correctly.

Hi Monty what damage are you referring to? I may not have articulated it well but just to clarify the taping happened after the second bake. That allowed the skate to cool with a tighter, and more form fitted wrap, which is what I needed. The skates turned out perfect and I am thrilled so I guess I'm not following. Sorry for any confusion regarding my post.

Thanks

Are you referring to the skates in the post above most likely having to be sent back due to damage done while taping and re baking, or alluding to some sort of manufacturing defect/design flaw ? Just want to make sure I'm reading your post correctly.

I'm pretty sure he means how JR said that they're only supposed to be baked for two minutes, and how the guy above needed them baked twice, and to tape them.

Hi Guys, the response had me a little paranoid but the insight is much appreciated so I have just called CCM and they said baking twice was fine and that sometimes it's necessary because the first time doesn't always get it to set right. I suppose the real test is when I am able to skate on them. I only play once a week in adult league so ultimately the hope is they should really be fine. I've got 30 days to return them for any reason but I hope I don't have to do that. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

From what I've been told by my LHS skate guys said don't tie the skates that tight when baking them as that can cause damage.

So I am assuming they are thinking that you tying them tight and then mummifiying them is what will be causing the issue.

In my experience with baking, you are supposed to tie them as tight as possible.. BUT.. you need to be wary of pulling the laces. The laces need to be pulled out and not up. In other words, make sure the laces aren't pulling against the eyelets as it could compromise the material when heated. Pull them straight out away from (directly through) the eyelets. The object though is to get as tight a fit as possible during the cooling period.