Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

I still don't understand how the "wedge" fit tacks used was so popular?

I consider it one of the worst ideas for fitting skates of all time.

Wedging your foot into something does not constitute proper fit, help with comfort, or performance for that matter.

Just because you were raised on something doesn't mean it was right.

My perfect example; Toronto Maple Leaf fans. ;)

It wasn't literally "wedge." It was more like an instep strap that people used to put on their inline/roller hockey skates in the 90's. Some players even do this w/ hockey tape i.e. jagr and tverdovsky.

“Tacks have been an integral part of hockey’s culture. "

If this statement were true, CCM would have never removed Tacks from the line 10 years ago. They would have evolved the line the way Bauer did with Vapor, etc. I call bullshit.

A lot of iconic things were discontinued but it doesnt mean they arent/werent an integral part. I personally have never seen a tack skate being used but ive heard of them and have seen them in picture/video games/etc. i think this is probably more of a use of a popular name to garner attention than a real heritage boost but all of this could be argued.

For someone who grew up getting my "new" skates at used skate swap each season most of the time they were Tacks / Super Tacks / Pro! Tacks but they never really fit properly. I could care less about the name anymore but heck I'm much older now and just want good fit and comfort. If they fit me I'd buy them if they don't I'd go with the pair that does.

For those of us who never wore tacks, what was the "tacks fit" and how did the "wedge" work? I grew up playing roller, my friend had a pair of the inline tacks with the swappable chassis, but I never skated in them.

During the winter classic this year, Chelios still wearing his tacks. I am old school, in the 90's tacks are seen everywhere in the NHL. I've always been a graf guy, but did have a few pair of tacks. Had the 652 pumps with Tuuk, they were a decent skate, later on, had a pair of 952 with tuuk custom+, the 952's were heavy as hell. Anyways, the new tacks are diff. and new, I think that its a gamble that CCM is taking going away with tradition, in my opinion I think that CCM made the right call, they have to do something radical and different in order to get the newer generations into their skates and to compete with Bauer and try to get some of their market share back. Look at the waves of NHL players, the likes of Toews, Eberle, Hall, Kane etc. that generation are all in Vapors. CCM/Reebok is not stupid, look @ the new waves of NHLers, Tavares, Mckinnon, Jones, Duchene etc. kids are going to want what these guys are wearing. I find this very interesting, I am not crazy about the new look of the tacks but like them enough to want to try them to see how it fits. I am currently in RBZs right now, I like the skate but they are not a perfect fit for my, the heel is too wide, so maybe the new tacks would be an option.

Besides, I love the new name. I would get the skates on name alone. "JEDI" bomb name for a skate.

I grew up wearing tacks. My last pair were the 752 pumps. I'm now in supreme one90s... I will be getting a pair of these when they come out! I quite like the look. And if they feel good...Even better!

ok, I think some people need to step back and get a bit more perspective as to how the skate market has changed and also exactly where things stood the last time you could get current skates emblazoned with the "Tacks" logo. Am I a little surprised that there wasn't at least some type of small homage to the Tack Heel lock/wedge that was as staple of what many people view on this board view as the heyday of the Tack brand? Yes, even if it didn't do/bring anything per se to the skate from a performance standpoint. At the time of the heel lock/wedge you could tell someone was wearing Tacks from across the rink, it did not leave any doubt as to what they were wearing. There were, however, 40+ years of Tacks before anything ever showed up adorning the heel of the skate, the big "T" let everyone know you were a CCM kid up until the time that the "heel ID" came out. Skate construction and materials have changed in the last decade, the utility (and weight) of the (basically) external heel lock/wedge really would not fly today (or be needed) when numerous people on this board freak out over how many grams their current skate weighs versus the flavor of the month believing that their skate choice is what prevented their breakaway in their last huff-and-puff pick up game and not their stride with more hitches in it than a trailer convention. If CCM can show that the Tack line brings something to the table for a segment that it was missing it will succeed, simple as that. Porsche doesn't/hasn't put its whale tail on every 911 iteration/spin off (let alone its other models) because it is able to get the same end effect (getting the power to the ground and keeping the car under control at speed) in other ways. People who were "Tacks" people are still pissed off that their favorite skate that fit "their" foot got dumped and really mis-managed 10 years ago and that because this new skate doesn't look like the #52 Tack they rocked in high school it is somehow a dissappointment. Really? Try the damn skate on before we pass judgement. I understand the bitterness to a point as back in the day you had a certain "foot" that tended to be better suited to a brand and most people were fairly brand loyal once they got ot a certain age as each skate manufacturer only had 3-5 models in their line at a given time and all had the same basic fit/shape from a foot type. When the Tack label got dumped without even so much as a rebadging under the RBK hierarchy people were forced to really look and shop for skates the next time they needed a pair as opposed to getting the "next Tack up" that they had for (at least many) several years and skate purchases. The now "new" parent Adidas (Reebok/ccm had not been acquired when the Tack kill off happened) is shifting brand philosophies and happened to have an iconic name that still resonates in the market to dust off and help the re-alignment. Let's see what they churn out before anyone gets to up in arms.

While we are at it, at one point in time Adidas did at least sell hockey skates in Europe, look at the Russian team in the 1980 photo where they are all lined up at the blue line stunned they just lost, at least 2 of them are wearing skates with the distinctive 3-stripe logo. Somewhere out in the tundra over there is some 40-something bitching that Adidas won't bring those back :)

Any word on whether it will be a full line and how they will be numbered?

Will this be a wider deeper skate like the Nexus skates?

I've not heard anything about the fit, but from the couple of pictures I've seen, it almost looks like a deeper instep with lower volume forefoot. Maybe wishful thinking on my part because that's the fit I require. :)

ok, I think some people need to step back and get a bit more perspective as to how the skate market has changed and also exactly where things stood the last time you could get current skates emblazoned with the "Tacks" logo. Am I a little surprised that there wasn't at least some type of small homage to the Tack Heel lock/wedge that was as staple of what many people view on this board view as the heyday of the Tack brand? Yes, even if it didn't do/bring anything per se to the skate from a performance standpoint. At the time of the heel lock/wedge you could tell someone was wearing Tacks from across the rink, it did not leave any doubt as to what they were wearing. There were, however, 40+ years of Tacks before anything ever showed up adorning the heel of the skate, the big "T" let everyone know you were a CCM kid up until the time that the "heel ID" came out. Skate construction and materials have changed in the last decade, the utility (and weight) of the (basically) external heel lock/wedge really would not fly today (or be needed) when numerous people on this board freak out over how many grams their current skate weighs versus the flavor of the month believing that their skate choice is what prevented their breakaway in their last huff-and-puff pick up game and not their stride with more hitches in it than a trailer convention. If CCM can show that the Tack line brings something to the table for a segment that it was missing it will succeed, simple as that. Porsche doesn't/hasn't put its whale tail on every 911 iteration/spin off (let alone its other models) because it is able to get the same end effect (getting the power to the ground and keeping the car under control at speed) in other ways. People who were "Tacks" people are still pissed off that their favorite skate that fit "their" foot got dumped and really mis-managed 10 years ago and that because this new skate doesn't look like the #52 Tack they rocked in high school it is somehow a dissappointment. Really? Try the damn skate on before we pass judgement. I understand the bitterness to a point as back in the day you had a certain "foot" that tended to be better suited to a brand and most people were fairly brand loyal once they got ot a certain age as each skate manufacturer only had 3-5 models in their line at a given time and all had the same basic fit/shape from a foot type. When the Tack label got dumped without even so much as a rebadging under the RBK hierarchy people were forced to really look and shop for skates the next time they needed a pair as opposed to getting the "next Tack up" that they had for (at least many) several years and skate purchases. The now "new" parent Adidas (Reebok/ccm had not been acquired when the Tack kill off happened) is shifting brand philosophies and happened to have an iconic name that still resonates in the market to dust off and help the re-alignment. Let's see what they churn out before anyone gets to up in arms.

While we are at it, at one point in time Adidas did at least sell hockey skates in Europe, look at the Russian team in the 1980 photo where they are all lined up at the blue line stunned they just lost, at least 2 of them are wearing skates with the distinctive 3-stripe logo. Somewhere out in the tundra over there is some 40-something bitching that Adidas won't bring those back :)

So what kind of benefits package does CCM offer its employees?

I've not heard anything about the fit, but from the couple of pictures I've seen, it almost looks like a deeper instep with lower volume forefoot. Maybe wishful thinking on my part because that's the fit I require. :)

Ha, I've already starting saving some cash. I can't wait.

If CCM can show that the Tack line brings something to the table for a segment that it was missing it will succeed, simple as that. Porsche doesn't/hasn't put its whale tail on every 911 iteration/spin off (let alone its other models) because it is able to get the same end effect (getting the power to the ground and keeping the car under control at speed) in other ways.

The standard 911 carrera does not have a whale tail, and never did. Every 911 Turbo, starting with the 930, has had a Whale Tail.

However, I agree with your actual point, sans the failed analogy. Who cares if the new Tack has a stupid homage to the tacks when we were kids? All I care about is they function. And this is coming from someone who wore 752 Tack Pumps for 2+ years, and they were always my favorite skates as a kid.

My LHS says they will be a direct competitor to the Supreme fit.

I love how this thread has devolved from lamenting the missing heel wedge into name calling and accusations of being a corporate shill.

Maybe everybody should wait until the catalog is released? Now I understand why JR usually locks threads like this...

I'll try them on when they come out. I don't care about the "heel wedge" or any of that stuff. The most important thing to me is that the skate fits like the Tacks skates of old. I'll be disappointed if they are too narrow, give me arch pain, etc.

What, so you're saying this board doesn't have corporate shills trying to bank on nostalgia to sell us an inferior product? ha.

I love how this thread has devolved from lamenting the missing heel wedge into name calling and accusations of being a corporate shill.

Maybe everybody should wait until the catalog is released? Now I understand why JR usually locks threads like this...

What, so you're saying this board doesn't have corporate shills trying to bank on nostalgia to sell us an inferior product? ha.

We expect any and all company employees to identify themselves to the admins. Anyone that is suspected of guerrilla marketing is investigated and confronted with the evidence that we are able to put together. Accounts have been banned for doing that in the past, and we will likely have to do it again. However, I think everyone deserves to be assumed to be innocent until otherwise proven guilty. If you ever question the validity of someone here, click on the report button and let us know about your suspicions.

I see. I suspected as much. I figured he was joking.

We expect any and all company employees to identify themselves to the admins. Anyone that is suspected of guerrilla marketing is investigated and confronted with the evidence that we are able to put together. Accounts have been banned for doing that in the past, and we will likely have to do it again. However, I think everyone deserves to be assumed to be innocent until otherwise proven guilty. If you ever question the validity of someone here, click on the report button and let us know about your suspicions.