Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

Hi guys - Steve from Sparx here. There's really no need to do anything different when starting up your machine after a few months. Like a lot of you, some of our machines were unused for a few months and there's no issues in starting them right up and sharpening. Thanks!

• Like 4

Hey Steve, Have you guys ever considered a discount for bulk grinding rings purchases?  For example, you offer the (3) ring starter pack for a discount. I’d like to stock up on 1/2” and 5/8” wheels for the season and it would be nice to see a price break at some point. If I weren’t all set on 1/2” Fire wheels, I would just buy starter packs. Thanks. 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 2:36 PM, Cedarwork said:

Hey Steve, Have you guys ever considered a discount for bulk grinding rings purchases?  For example, you offer the (3) ring starter pack for a discount. I’d like to stock up on 1/2” and 5/8” wheels for the season and it would be nice to see a price break at some point. If I weren’t all set on 1/2” Fire wheels, I would just buy starter packs. Thanks. 

i agree, another suggestion would be to have stock somewhere in canada so we can save on shipping. 

Right on! I've had no issues with the original and can't imagine any new features would push an upgrade for me, but still very interested to see what they've come up with. 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Judging by the fact that they have a CCM skate in the picture I'm wondering if CCM is acquiring them.

Makes a lot of sense. CCM + Step + Sparx = Your Edges never Looked Better.

Yeah it kind of makes sense as a full package. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

As long as the grinding rings stay the same, I'm happy. Even better if they'd be available at retail. 

13 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Huh... apparently it’s going to be way smaller and way lighter because...

If it’s that portable, that’s very impressive.

The ProSharp home is smaller than that even. No reason why they cannot make the Sparx smaller as well. 

Whatever drives the price down of the original one haha. In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see how this effects proshops at rinks. As a youth coach myself, I can see one of the parents getting one for the team. All those sharpenings that would go to the rink now would go to a more portable Sparx unit. It'll be interesting nonetheless...

25 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Whatever drives the price down of the original one haha. In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see how this effects proshops at rinks. As a youth coach myself, I can see one of the parents getting one for the team. All those sharpenings that would go to the rink now would go to a more portable Sparx unit. It'll be interesting nonetheless...

Pretty much all the guys I play roller with are on a team together in an ice league. One guy bought a Sparx unit and that's what they all use. Nearest shop is by the rink about an hour from us. He paid off the machine in a couple seasons

35 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Depends on who owns/operates the rink pro shop and how profitable it is and whether the portable sharpener requires an electrical source or is battery operated.  If electrical, they could just cap off available electrical outlets if there are any.  Some of the rinks I skate in don't have electrical outlets in the locker rooms.

38 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Pretty much all the guys I play roller with are on a team together in an ice league. One guy bought a Sparx unit and that's what they all use. Nearest shop is by the rink about an hour from us. He paid off the machine in a couple seasons

Yea, I play with a couple of guys who have one. One of them sharpens skates for the guys for the pickup groups at one the rinks. I'm sure he does well for himself.

25 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Depends on who owns/operates the rink pro shop and how profitable it is and whether the portable sharpener requires an electrical source or is battery operated.  If electrical, they could just cap off available electrical outlets if there are any.  Some of the rinks I skate in don't have electrical outlets in the locker rooms.

No doubt. Most of the rinks in my are have tournaments regularly throughout the calendar year. All I know is that there is business to be lost at some of the bigger rinks in my area if youth/adult teams consider this potentially portable-friendly Sparx machince.

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Yea, I play with a couple of guys who have one. One of them sharpens skates for the guys for the pickup groups at one the rinks. I'm sure he does well for himself.

Yeah I think he told me that once he paid off the machine he stopped charging the guys on the team. Other players he charges them a few bucks though, but I'm sure if he wanted to he could make decent money. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I've seen some guys use power inverters in their cars (and Sparx even sells one). I really should do that for our next tournament. 

That's actually really cool and probably more of a threat to pro shop business. Where I grew up there were a few rinks with full blown GD-style lot scenes before and after games. Drop a dude with a Sparx in his car into that environment and he will be paying his mortgage off early.

I bring my portable prosharp to the rink for every game and sharpen everyone's skates on my team. My SUV has a 12V outlet. Each guy kicks me down 2 bucks and I use that for our team beer money after the game.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Yeah I think he told me that once he paid off the machine he stopped charging the guys on the team. Other players he charges them a few bucks though, but I'm sure if he wanted to he could make decent money. 

That's the way to do. Something I'll consider especially if they can offer a cheaper unit. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if this is a gen 2 replacement or a cheaper complement to the current model?  I havent bought one but really like th fact that the Sparx is almost 40 lbs, hope they dont replace it with something lighter.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume it will be cheaper. Small and portable means it has to be rugged. That usually means added cost and less functionality.