Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

The problem with that analysis, and I use this analogy often, is that getting your skates sharpened is like getting a haircut - at least for me. We try to prolong it as much as we can because, well, money just doesn't grow on tress for most people. Even if it did, humans are inherently cheap, always want some sort of deal, make irrational financial decisions all the time etc... 

Point being, if I owned my own barbershop, I'd be getting a beard and hair trim every morning. That's just a fact. 

So, what actually happens once you finally purchase a Sparx, and as every Sparx owner knows, suddenly you're sharpening your skates between every session. 

I'm gradually weening myself off of the 1 sharpen per session crack. I'm down to on one pass every 3-4 hours and thus far I've not gone cold turkey. As for haircuts, if only I had my own Sparx hair trimmer life would be so much easier. Mmmm, now there's a new product idea for them ...

3 hours ago, Leif said:

I'm gradually weening myself off of the 1 sharpen per session crack. I'm down to on one pass every 3-4 hours and thus far I've not gone cold turkey. As for haircuts, if only I had my own Sparx hair trimmer life would be so much easier. Mmmm, now there's a new product idea for them ...

I used to be guilty of doing a single pass after every ice session. It became second nature when I would be unpacking my gear after skating to dry it out to just toss the skates in the sharpener for a single pass. 

51 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I used to be guilty of doing a single pass after every ice session. It became second nature when I would be unpacking my gear after skating to dry it out to just toss the skates in the sharpener for a single pass. 

4 hours ago, Leif said:

Okay, fill me in guys... what's wrong with doing that? I do two passes before every game (so, once a week, which is usually one game and one pickup per week). 

I like that I never have my skates feel different. Consistency is the primary driver for doing it that way. 

51 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Okay, fill me in guys... what's wrong with doing that? I do two passes before every game (so, once a week, which is usually one game and one pickup per week). 

I like that I never have my skates feel different. Consistency is the primary driver for doing it that way. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with that except that the wheel won’t last as long. Whether or not that matters is for the owner to decide. Certainly if I was playing a game, I’d do a pass, but I just do scrimmages and training so I don’t. 

8 minutes ago, Leif said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that except that the wheel won’t last as long. Whether or not that matters is for the owner to decide. Certainly if I was playing a game, I’d do a pass, but I just do scrimmages and training so I don’t. 

Okay, thanks. Was gonna say... heh. It’s not enough of a difference to matter. One or two passes a week vs sharpening six passes once a month. Especially when you take into account the consistency aspect.

But like I’ve said before, I didn’t buy it to save money. Consistency was for sure the number one reason I bought it.

Howdy,

I think everyone is going to have different patterns for usage.  And what works for you is going to depend on what steel, what hollow, how sensitive you are, etc. etc.

For me (regular Step steel, 3/4 Fire hollow), I don't notice a difference in the way my skates feel for say the first 6 to 8 hours or so on the ice.  Lately what I've been doing is making 3 passes every 6 to 10 hours or so.  I'm not religious about it.  If I haven't sharpened for a while and I have a game, I'll probably throw them on there.  If I'm just reffing, I probably won't.

Mark

Has anyone ever determined how to disassemble a Sparx ring? We got a new batch in the mail and one of them cannot be read by the machine at all. It just gives an error message. When I scan it with a Mifare NFC reader the data seems corrupt when compared to other rings. I want to take the backing off another ring and swap it over but cannot seem to find out how the rings disassemble the ring. 

This is what the data on a good ring looks like:

jQUP1rp.png

The other ring just gives an error and says the data is corrupted. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

So CCM just sent out a survey about home skate sharpening and asked very specific questions about the Sparx and cost of rings, capabilities, etc.

Not too unlike they did a few weeks ago about steel before they bought Step.

Things that make you go Hmmmm....

colins

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, colins said:

So CCM just sent out a survey about home skate sharpening and asked very specific questions about the Sparx and cost of rings, capabilities, etc.

Not too unlike they did a few weeks ago about steel before they bought Step.

Things that make you go Hmmmm....

colins

I’ve worked for more than a few small(ish) companies whose owners were fattening the company up so it could be bought out. Maybe it would be to our advantage as Sparx would then benefit from CCM marketing and distribution channels.

21 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I just took the same survey and had the same thought. It seems likely that CCM is at least considering buying Sparx.

It seems very possible. Bauer has partnered heavily with ProSharp so I can imagine CCM might be looking to find an way into the sharpening market without having to buy out a big company. Sparx would fit perfectly into that category. Also, I noticed a while ago that a lot of CCM reps also do sales for Sparx as well. 

Ugg, my only chance to get to Pure for sharpening today...45 minutes to do my son’s skates.  Didnt have the time to wait.  Will have to chance it that the rink sharpener is open before his game tomorrow and that someone competent is manning the machine!!

going to be a long wait before I get a Sparx...

46 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Ugg, my only chance to get to Pure for sharpening today...45 minutes to do my son’s skates.  Didnt have the time to wait.  Will have to chance it that the rink sharpener is open before his game tomorrow and that someone competent is manning the machine!!

going to be a long wait before I get a Sparx...

Does your local Pure Hockey store use a ProSharp? 

On 6/13/2020 at 8:45 AM, pgeorgan said:

Was just going to post on here if anyone knew what kind of stone those marketed for Black Steel are. I came across this exact one online. 

Do you happen to know the approximate grit? 240 maybe?

It's a rubber stone.  

I have the rubber stones direct from Step.  They're great, though the shipping was pricey if I remember correctly.  I use a rubber stone, then a piece of leather after sharpening.  They're not quite the same as a soft gummy stone you'd use for skiing, but similar.  Hard gummy stones for skis will micro-scratch the DLC on Blacksteel, so if you're gonna use a ski gummy stone, make sure it's the "soft" kind, making sure it has a rubber coating.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:45 AM, pgeorgan said:

Was just going to post on here if anyone knew what kind of stone those marketed for Black Steel are. I came across this exact one online. 

Do you happen to know the approximate grit? 240 maybe?

Those will work nicely 

Howdy,

This is probably a dumb question, but having never held one of these rubber stone things in my hands I'm curious how the hell it can remove a burr and not scratch anything.

I'm picturing something with abrasive embedded in a rubber-y material.  Is that not what it is?  Is there some technique people are using to not have that scratch stuff?

Mark

Yeah I've found that the piece of leather that comes with the machine has been all I've ever needed for step black, so it definitely doesn't take much. 

Random question.  Being that I haven't played since early March and my Sparx has just been sitting, unused.  Would it be wise for me to run it for a couple of passes to make sure the lubricants in the mechanics keep as they should?  Or is that totally unnecessary?  

On 6/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Random question.  Being that I haven't played since early March and my Sparx has just been sitting, unused.  Would it be wise for me to run it for a couple of passes to make sure the lubricants in the mechanics keep as they should?  Or is that totally unnecessary?  

Sure, if you want. I don't think its needed though unless you are storing it in a cool damp place where it might rust. I would also give it a good cleaning before running it as I am sure its dusty.