Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ponty

Vapor XXX stick at LHS

i don't agree. i bought a kovalchuk pro stock 1100 because it WILL make me shoot like him. and since he scores a lot, that means i will. i can't wait to start scoring one-timers from the left point like he does. :D

p.s. if i don't shoot like him, i'll sell it & get a vapor xx because he's using that now... :blink:

I think you're letting some of the growing pains get to you. Kids for the most part believe what they are told, and if they aren't told what OPS are able to do and the differences they may make then they won't understand. I do believe top end sticks made my shot better (mostly from my Wood stick experiment), but I don't think it made me a better player. I do it more so as a Hobby, as Ponty suggested. The little kids though see the ads ask the employee's and generally believe what they have is great, its just a matter of getting them to wear it. I never had a pair of ill fitted skates before this summer..... or at least I didn't know it. I was uneducated in the hockey department, my research was from NHLers and friends. Maybe its changed since I was a kid (I'm 19 now), but I actually tried to keep my skate costs down when my dad was buying and understood equipment wouldn't make me a good player, but wanted it because it would make me look better. I agree its a problem when it happens, but I'd say this board is probably 50% under 14 and there's a 1000 members. The posts don't happen as often as I like and I think they listen to some of the elder members critics and don't take into account the fussiness they use to judge. Good luck with your son and if you educate him on the subject your word will overcome anyone elses.

Yeah i agree with modo, im 15 and i used to think that the high end skates would make me a better skater, and maybe i could make AA last year(but i didnt try out because of a broken rib) but i stuck with my pair of bauers that i had for the previous season and this year i made it it goes to show that its not the equipment its the player, with my $19(cdn) bauer 1000 i shoot just as hard or maybe even harder than with my Genesis. But it is sad to see parents and kids alike thinking that a stick will change their game, like with the high end jr skates like vapor XX which i see alot of little kids wearing, it just wasnt like that when i was growing up and just getting started in hockey. thats just my 0.02

HP3

Personally, I don't like a low-low kick point. I don't believe lower the kick-point the better. I think a kick-point two thirds of the way down on the stick will generate more power and very, very similar accuracy compared to a kick point that is virtually just above the blade.

Amen, I found that I can generate more power with the standard lenght shaft be it taperd like a T-flex or standard. I haven't seen any increase in stickhandling capabilities just better balance. but thats my opinion.

I personally just ditched all my composites and ordered a dozen Sher-Wood SOP's, in the old Borque pattern (sort of like Modano but with a custom lie, toe shape, graphics, ect..). I just got back to using woodys and I have to say, the puck feel is incredible, I feel I can control my shots BETTER with wood, and they cost alot less. Composite sticks are overrated IMO. The only pieces of equipment I would ever consider buying top of the line at full price is a helmet, and a jock. If I can get a deal on great stuff sure I will take it, but only if it fits.

You can talk about these topic days,weaks,months, years...

it's your decision to buy expensive equipment....isn't it?!

Of couse--if you can afford it--it's your decision. But my whole point is: Top-of-the-line equipement is not going to make you a Top-of-the-line player.

But it will give you your max. mobility and duribility

When you learn to spell and write above a fifth-grade level, then I will entertain the thought of exchanging dialogue with you.

No it won't, glad to see the marketing is working on you.

Your like 12, how do you tear through skates, I'm 15 and not the smallest kid (5'7", 180 Lbs.) Ive never torn through skates. EVER.

Same here, worst that has happened is a broken holder, or the toe gets cut up if I dont put on protectoe.

Come on guys let's get back to the topic. Don't start a fight, it doesn't worth it.

I never intended on starting a fight, I made a simple statement. When I was 12 i was in Easton Ultra Lites, had them til i was 14, all that happened was a broken blade cuz the razor bladz sucked. I dont see how you can "tear" through skates at the age of 12. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't doubt him, I remember tearing up some cheaper skates around that age, maybe a little younger. It depends on the model, I remember mine were mostly cheapo in-lines (earliest Bauers with the brake at the back). It doesn't really matter either way, he had a skate he wasn't happy with and has found something which provides him with durability and comfort, it's just he shouldn't have generalized it to being all high end products producing that result.

When you learn to spell and write above a fifth-grade level, then I will entertain the thought of exchanging dialogue with you.

Obviously it is necessary to put down a kid who is 20+ years younger than you, seeing as you said that you have a son who will be playing in a few years. Do you think that gives you some sense of achievement? I'm not trying to make you mad, but that was just the most mature thing to say, EVER :rolleyes: . You do put up a lot of good points and everything that you say I agree with, but I wouldn't recommend your demeanor as an example to people much younger than you. If you think your intelligence is so much superior than his, there is no reason to rub it in his face. Come on man, he's 12 and you are like 30+.