Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

What do you call the full gear guy in no check men's league?

To be honest, why would anyone pick on others for the type of gear they wear, or want to wear. If an older guy like myself prefers to be more protected, then so be it. I played through my 20s and 30s as the guy who had the most amount of gear on, but to me, it was protecting myself and being able to get to work the next day.

The only guys I give shit to on gear are those that dont wash their gear... you know the one, where you can tell he's arrived at the rink due to the reak that comes from his gear.

I go full gear no matter what. More specifically, I'll never take my cage off as long as I'm playing this game, unless an NHL team randomly calls me one day... :laugh:

I'd rather show up to client meetings with my face intact than feel like a pseudo-tough guy for 60 minutes a few times a week.

I wear most of my gear, no shoulder pads though and I go with a half shield. I may take the caps off my shoulders and wear them. Had a clapper come flying past me chest level that would have left a mark

On the d league team I play on its men and women and they push, trip you, and play all kinds of dirty stuff. I dislocated both my shoulders, strained my bicep tendon, sprained my thumb, and had plenty more random injuries all in one season. It's important to were full gear.

I think its been said already, but I'll go ahead and say it anyways. Seems that when skill level is low chance of getting injured is higher. Think about the guy who finally learned how to skate fast but has no clue how to stop, don't get in front of him. Also, that same guy tends to swing his stick at head level when he is "skating fast"

I'm coaching mini mites now, I see it every practice. I really try and harp on these kids to keep they're sticks on the ice, and if they do not have the puck while skating only to use one hand. Been lucky, only took one stick to the mouth this season.

I'm coaching mini mites now, I see it every practice. I really try and harp on these kids to keep they're sticks on the ice, and if they do not have the puck while skating only to use one hand. Been lucky, only took one stick to the mouth this season.

HA i almost took a stick to the face from my Buddy's kid on Friday in the L2S program (luckily, he only grazed my beard, which was enough to tell me to pull my head back in time) Had to stop the drill, line them up on the boards and tell them how important stick control is. we are always calling out the same thing. "hockey ready" and "two hands on the Stick, the Stick on the ice" but its still a ton of fun when drills are over, and they scrimmage the HELL out of each other.

I think its been said already, but I'll go ahead and say it anyways. Seems that when skill level is low chance of getting injured is higher. Think about the guy who finally learned how to skate fast but has no clue how to stop, don't get in front of him. Also, that same guy tends to swing his stick at head level when he is "skating fast"

Teach them to skate without the puck with 2 hands on their stick and the stick on the ice. You want to be able to skate hard for the net and ready for a pass.

Teach them to skate without the puck with 2 hands on their stick and the stick on the ice. You want to be able to skate hard for the net and ready for a pass.

Same thing I was thinking. Watching the pros, only time they take a hand off the stick is on a breakaway.

I wouldn't be ashamed to wear full gear during a no check league. I don't wear shoulder pads and falling into the boards/getting hit with pucks in the chest is really what I'd be worried about. Way too easy to hit a rut or step into or have a puck deflect up high.

Same thing I was thinking. Watching the pros, only time they take a hand off the stick is on a breakaway.

An NHL coach runs a clinic in the area every year and he doesn't believe in having two hands on the stick at all times. In fact, he's quite adamant about it. You actually end up hampering your skating stride quite a bit by doing it.

I agree. When playing defense a lot of times you are holding on with one hand for a poke check or sweeping your stick to block a pass or take up a lane. If you are in front of the net, two hands to control the other player and their stick or to play the puck. If your busting ass up the ice one hand gives you the better stride. As soon as you get into an area where you are in play for a pass or in front of the net it's two hands on.

True. You don't want two hands all the time but you do need to be able to move well with two hands. One my favorite tidbits that I took from Gretzky into my coaching life was that all skating drills were done with pucks. Players need to be able to handle the puck at top speed.