Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

What do you call the full gear guy in no check men's league?

I wouldn't give the OP much thought. Probably just some MIAA division 3 hero who had a cup of coffee on Framingham State's 4th line but is still looking for a way to feel "cool".

That might be a little harsh. It does kind of stand out a bit in my league when you see guys armored up head to toe in NHL-level protection covering every inch of skin when most guys are wearing lighter pads or the same old-school shoulders and elbows they've been wearing for decades. Maybe in his league 90% go without shoulder pads or facial protection and it stands out a lot more. I wouldn't necessarily assume he meant it the worst or most malicious way possible.

That might be a little harsh. It does kind of stand out a bit in my league when you see guys armored up head to toe in NHL-level protection covering every inch of skin when most guys are wearing lighter pads or the same old-school shoulders and elbows they've been wearing for decades. Maybe in his league 90% go without shoulder pads or facial protection and it stands out a lot more. I wouldn't necessarily assume he meant it the worst or most malicious way possible.

But what's the point of making fun of someone else that is armored up head to toe? Does that affect you or your game in any way? It's childish to make fun of someone because of the way they look. We're all adults here and can make our own decisions. If someone decides not to wear all of their pads, I don't look down on them. That's their own choice. I wouldn't do it myself, but that doesn't make him any less of a person because he chose to do something different.

Understood and agreed. I just don't know that the OP meant it as maliciously as people are taking it. Guys have busted my balls for wearing ancient equipment and I've given another guy shit for refusing to get new pants even though all the pads are practically falling out. If I hadn't already used some old thigh inserts to fabricate inner thigh guards for a defenseman who kept catching pucks where his pants have no padding, I'd have brought one of them to a game and slid it across the ice toward the guy with the ratty pants during warm-ups just to watch him try to figure out where it belonged in his pants. Sometimes ordinary ball-busting sounds worse than it was intended when it's typed in this medium.

I just don't know that the OP meant it as maliciously as people are taking it.

Maybe you should read some of the OP's posts on this site. Many of his post have an "edge" to them. Good, bad or indifferent, he's been given an answer to his question. The absence of the OP's participation in this thread since starting the topic indicates to me he was expecting people to bash well-protected players.

I gear up pretty frequently when I coach even. Now I don't wear a cage and shoulders but everything else. I jump into drills a lot and battle in front of the net when shots are coming in. I think the whole make fun of the guy with pads is stupid.

It's not what you can see coming that you need to worry about it's the stuff that you NEVER see coming that is dangerous - deflected pucks, errants sticks, benders helicoptering into you skate first. That stuff you can't really prep for and that's the real danger.

If we were getting paid we might be willing to make the sacrifice to let go of the cage/shield for better vision, and the mouth guard so we could talk better but last I checked we're all going into a real job in the morning and one that won't cover us for our on ice injuries.

People can call me whatever they want but I ain't gonna get hurt cause I was too macho, stupid, etc. to armor up.

Every player in our league (novice adult) wears full gear, head to toe and it's about 50/50 visor/cage. I don't think there's anyone that doesn't have some type of face protection.

It's not what you can see coming that you need to worry about it's the stuff that you NEVER see coming that is dangerous

It's like suggesting you don't need car insurance because you're a good driver.

I wear shot blockers too. Which people will point out and laugh, then they get pegged in the foot and hobble off the ice and ask me where I got them.

Same here, however I bought mine AFTER I fractured my foot taking a clapper off of it. :facepalm:

Same here, however I bought mine AFTER I fractured my foot taking a clapper off of it. :facepalm:

I luckily bought mine just in time. A few games after I started using them, I took 3 slapshots off the inside of my foot. Didn't feel a thing. Since then, I've had probably 20 or so people ask about them. I've probably convinced 3 or 4 players to get them just by them seeing me take a puck off the foot and not have to leave the ice in agony.

As for the OP, if a guy wants to gear up to protect himself, I don't see why you would make fun of him. He'll have the last laugh as you have to leave the ice to get stitches or a broken bone wrapped up.

It's like suggesting you don't need car insurance because you're a good driver.

It's not what you can see coming that you need to worry about it's the stuff that you NEVER see coming that is dangerous - deflected pucks, errants sticks, benders helicoptering into you skate first. That stuff you can't really prep for and that's the real danger.

Exactly. Boy did I learn the hard way. Broken nose and then 10 stitches in the lip later, I now wear a full cage. My brother now wears one too based solely on what happened to me. He's the smart one lol

Took a puck to the cage in mens league the other night on the forecheck. Dman wasn't looking I was coming down the boards, and he looked like he was trying to go high and off the glass. No need to leave the ice obviously, and it led to a nice scoring chance.

Lol we had a guy playing without a cup and then he took a slap shot right in the junk and writhed on the ice for like 15 minutes. We called him an "idiot".

I used to not wear shoulder pads for roller, it's overkill you know, and no one else does it, looks kind of goofy. But literally every night I would have bruises and cuts all over my back and sides. Then one night a guy hooks me, I get to the bench, lift up my jersey and sure enough there's a nasty cut and its oozing blood.

Another guy on my team actually got a broken rib from a cross check, he wears full shoulder pads every game now, even for roller on an indoor rink in the summer when it's hot as shit. He's got a job and 2 kids, it's just not worth it over some hockey game in a league where you PAY to play.

We had a guy take a high stick to the face, so he whined and skated all over the rink bleeding all over the place, then we had to spend 20 minutes cleaning up after him instead of playing. Don't want to bleed out of your mouth? Put a cage on and stfu.

Again, no checking does not mean no contact. I've seen more injuries from idiots not wearing gear in men's league than I did while playing full contact junior.

I'm one of the idiots without a full cage because I just keep going back and forth between a half and 3/4 shield, but I don't whine about getting banged up. This is a long boring clip from Tuesday, but is a perfect example of rawkstar's point. If someone's coming toward you with the puck, you can't skate right at him (2:28), but sometimes, even in a no-checking 50+ rec league, neither guy pulls up chasing a loose puck (2:44).Nobody missed a shift but I think he was out for a couple of seconds and I still feel it in my jaw 3 days later. Sometimes unintentional or "incidental" contact can be as hard as an open-ice check, even one that might get a charging call if it were purposeful on a puck carrier in a contact league. Without shoulder pads, someone's easily breaking a clavicle or rib from that kind of bump...especially us old guys

https://www.dropbox.com/home/OBG%20Vs.%20WC%2012-29-15?preview=20151229_220047.mp4

I call them, the person with a fully functioning brain. No offense, but seriously...

I wear full gear, minus the mouth guard even for pickup. Not because I think I need it, because there is no telling what some other fool is going to do. It's like not wearing a seatbelt be user you're a really good driver.

Still surprises me to see guys play without shoulder pads. I've seen a few guys play without any hip protection. It's nuts.

I'm one of the idiots without a full cage because I just keep going back and forth between a half and 3/4 shield, but I don't whine about getting banged up. This is a long boring clip from Tuesday, but is a perfect example of rawkstar's point. If someone's coming toward you with the puck, you can't skate right at him (2:28), but sometimes, even in a no-checking 50+ rec league, neither guy pulls up chasing a loose puck (2:44).Nobody missed a shift but I think he was out for a couple of seconds and I still feel it in my jaw 3 days later. Sometimes unintentional or "incidental" contact can be as hard as an open-ice check, even one that might get a charging call if it were purposeful on a puck carrier in a contact league. Without shoulder pads, someone's easily breaking a clavicle or rib from that kind of bump...especially us old guys

https://www.dropbox.com/home/OBG%20Vs.%20WC%2012-29-15?preview=20151229_220047.mp4

YouTube does not require an account/ sign-in.

Working a detail at a local high school's alumni tournament last week and got an eyeful of the importance of facial protection - some poor sap got a stick to the face, an inch-and-a-half laceration on his cheek, a black eye, and a ride to the hospital for stitches. He also got a come-to-jesus from a grandma working the concession table. A half inch higher and it would've been a lot worse for him.

i played Family hockey with my 5yo an 8 yo on the first on the year. (they say what you do on the first day, you do all year, and i could think of NO better way to spend the year) i figured the late two times we were there it was pretty lax, so i go out clinic style with no cage. during warm ups I'm pulling pucks out of the empty goal, when some 13yo (ish) RINGS the cross bar. i grabbed a DIME and quickly screwed my cage back on for the grownups vs kids game. i love letting the beard flow during a fun game, but you never know talent (or intellect) of who you're playing with.

You got prompted to sign in? Normally, anybody just clicks the link and it plays.

Not only do you need to sign in but if you are a user of dropbox you get this message "The folder '/OBG Vs. WC 12-29-15' doesn’t exist."

Sensible. That's what I call them. We've a range of guys here who go from the ones who know it's only fun and everyone has work in the morning, to those who need their gloves taped to their wrists because everything is a fight.