Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Narrowest Shin Pads available?

Anyone have any suggestions? I have Supremes right now, and I do not like how wide they are. The Vapors weren't any better (even wider) when I tried them on. I've read that the CX is pretty narrow, but I'm not 100% sure on that. 

I use the CCM CL for roller hockey and they're quite narrow. The RBZ seem to be quite similar and I imagine the new Quicklite shins will have a similar fit.

The most narrow is the Easton Stealth series, in this case the Easton Stealth CX. I have the RBZ which is a little wider, but more mobile, which I prefer. You can have a really narrow shin pad but be totally stiff because there are no breaks in it. Idk if that's the right word usage, but you get my point, the cap rotates and moves freely with your knee.

maybe a little off the topic, what is the best shin to put over thr tongue?

I am currently using x7.0 shins, shins over tongues. The parts where the shins and skates meet wear very fast(bottom of the shins and the liner above the top eyelets). 

1 minute ago, canqingz said:

maybe a little off the topic, what is the best shin to put over thr tongue?

I am currently using x7.0 shins, shins over tongues. The parts where the shins and skates meet wear very fast(bottom of the shins and the liner above the top eyelets). 

Most high end shin guards will have a pad at the bottom to prevent wear on the tongue.  Very noticeable on 1X, but also on RBZ, Tacks, etc. The reason I recommended against the Easton Stealth is the segmentation and the strapping system which is a pain in the ass. Plus, if you lose that little pad on the back, you're out of luck.

Just going by photos on vendor sites but the STX shins look about as narrow as anyone can get away with. Online reviews I've seen are very critical of their protection and shallow fit, though.

Just guessing but these two things might be related in some way.

1 hour ago, CommodoreColt said:

Just going by photos on vendor sites but the STX shins look about as narrow as anyone can get away with. Online reviews I've seen are very critical of their protection and shallow fit, though.

Just guessing but these two things might be related in some way.

57 minutes ago, Hills said:

When you are thinking of shin pads and see STX just ignore them completely...

That's what I've heard as well. Also heard the strapping is poor on the Surgeon which could be why people say it's "shallow". If I don't get a tight lock in my knee, then the pad feels like it's too shallow to me. 

Pretty disappointing because they do look narrow, and the Surgeon 500 has a donut hole in the kneecap (I don't know why this isn't effing standard on every pad by now.)

On 2016/4/18 at 10:45 AM, Bbd94 said:

Most high end shin guards will have a pad at the bottom to prevent wear on the tongue.  Very noticeable on 1X, but also on RBZ, Tacks, etc. The reason I recommended against the Easton Stealth is the segmentation and the strapping system which is a pain in the ass. Plus, if you lose that little pad on the back, you're out of luck.

Actually I've been thinking of buying a pair of these CX shin pads since they are on sale. The strapping system on CX looks the same to that of the new CCM quicklite shin pads, so I guess the CX shin pads might work out fine in staying in place. Can you give me some detailed information on how these pads not doing so well on you?

8 hours ago, canqingz said:

Actually I've been thinking of buying a pair of these CX shin pads since they are on sale. The strapping system on CX looks the same to that of the new CCM quicklite shin pads, so I guess the CX shin pads might work out fine in staying in place. Can you give me some detailed information on how these pads not doing so well on you?

I have the RBZ not the Quicklite so I can't comment on those. I'm not a fan of the Easton strapping system because you have to loop the top strap through a small pad. I'm assuming this small pad's use is to make it more comfortable for your leg but I find it finicky to loop through and the pad can be lost very easily. When I had the RS2 (same strapping system) I ended up losing 1 of them after only a couple months. The knee lock was just OK when I had both 

I take extreme care with my equipment but I'm not a fan of things that can be lost. The Velcro straps on Reebok Edge socks are a pain as it is. 

I've tried on some Easton shins in the past as well and was never a fan of the straps in store either (RBK also used to have a strapping system I didn't like on some of their pads). I know you can use tape, shin tights or straps, but it's nice to have straps that are easy to use and work well. I have the CCM U+ CL pads for roller and Warrior Projekts for ice and both of those have straps that work well.

I am in the market also. Have the reebok 20k and they seem too wide and bulky. Also have issues with them staying in place and slidding down and interferes with my skate. They are 15" I don't feel it's a length issue more that they don't stay in place. The vapor with the flex end look interesting also. I have heard a lot of good things about the CCM QLT 

1 hour ago, JDhouston said:

I am in the market also. Have the reebok 20k and they seem too wide and bulky. Also have issues with them staying in place and slidding down and interferes with my skate. They are 15" I don't feel it's a length issue more that they don't stay in place. The vapor with the flex end look interesting also. I have heard a lot of good things about the CCM QLT 

I have the Vapor X900's and they're definitely narrow down at the bottom and through the shin, they really taper off at the bottom.  I had a few different pairs f RBK/Jofa's in the past and they were def more bulky from the shin down but the Vapors actually seem wider in the knee than any of those old RBK/Jofa's I had (and they also seem to give me a better knee lock, the fit is really what sold me on them when I was shopping, I never would have thought to purchase them if the shop owner didn't encourage me to try several different models to see what fts best).

As for the staying in place, I've grown up always taping my shin guards in place and have cut off strap in the past since they always seemed pointless, but the strapping system on the Vapors really seems to do a good job and now I only tape underneath the knee to keep them in place compared to taping in 2 spots on very other ones I had worn.  The best thing is to really go try them on since everyone's legs are different though.

On 2/1/2017 at 6:14 PM, JDhouston said:

I tried on a variety of CCM and Bauers and ultimately I went with the CCM QLT because of the narrow fit.  They are only a few months old but I have yet to use tape to hold them in place.