Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Labrat198

What do you do with your spare runners

I should be getting my new set of runners in the mail today or tomorrow. My question for anyone that uses two sets of runners is what do you do with them when they are not on your skates? Any cases or something along that line to keep them from getting dinged up, bent or damaging the other equipment in your bag?

East on made a black nylon "sheath" for steal a few years back, and that's what I currently use.  Not sure on how easy it would be to find those, but you could use the plastic case Bauer makes. At the very least I would apply a piece of hockey tape over the edge to protect the sharpening from Knicks and dings. 

I use the Bauer case and it's current held together with white tape. The plastic hinges and clips break really easy, especially if its banging around your bag

26 minutes ago, Labrat198 said:

I should be getting my new set of runners in the mail today or tomorrow. My question for anyone that uses two sets of runners is what do you do with them when they are not on your skates? Any cases or something along that line to keep them from getting dinged up, bent or damaging the other equipment in your bag?

I use the Easton blade pouch for Edge steel and the Bauer LS travel kit with their socket wrench for regular steel.  Like M22 mentioned almost impossible to find the Easton.

Nash sports has something similar:

http://nashsports.ca/wp-content/gallery/skate-repair/blade_pouch-1.jpg

I actually just keep mine wrapped in the same Tyvek envelope I use to ship them in. That Nash blade pouch looks nice though, I think I'll get one. 

The Bauer travel kits look like some pretty cheap plastic, especially for the price I am finding, I cant imagine them holding up and staying shut. The Nash blade pouch on the other hand looks very nice.

The Bauer travel case has served me well. There's enough room for 3 sets of steel and the release tool.

I've been using Plano boxes for several years. They hold up a lot better than the Bauer travel cases at a fraction of the cost. I also keep laces, helmet/visor screws, chin straps, nut drivers, skate hone, whatever in there.

http://www.planomolding.com/fishing/stowawayr-utility-boxes/prolatchtm-stowawayr-utility-boxes/2370002

I use the Bauer travel kit for about 5 months and have no issues. The runners fit snug in them and there is a little notched clip at the top of the slits that prevent it from falling out. IMO, I don't think it's cheap plastic at all and find the hardness of it to be acceptable. I had a friend of mine step on it by accident in the dressing room and not a scratch.

2 minutes ago, Solo_man11 said:

I use the Bauer travel kit for about 5 months and have no issues. The runners fit snug in them and there is a little notched clip at the top of the slits that prevent it from falling out. IMO, I don't think it's cheap plastic at all and find the hardness of it to be acceptable. I had a friend of mine step on it by accident in the dressing room and not a scratch.

The kit itself is fine; the problem is the clips that keep it closed and secure, break (mine after about a year and half).  I use a rubber band now to keep it closed.

a calf high pair of socks holds my extras LS3 steel, tucked away in the pouch of my Bauer bag.  CHEAP too...

15 hours ago, ID Rollerpop said:

I wrap mine up in an old wash cloth and then store it in a 15" piece of 2 1/2" od pvc  has worked great and keeps them from getting nicked up.

In the end, I did the same thing. Made a small pouch with a separate spot for each blade out of some old jeans and tossed that in a PCV pipe with little screwdriver. Added some extra laces and various other replacement parts for my skates and helmet to make an emergency repair kit I can just toss in my bag