Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

Johnny Gaudreau's 55 flex stick..

2 hours ago, Jason Harris said:

If bending loads the stick and allows for harder shots, I've come to the realization I am using too stiff a stick, and I'm starting to wonder whether many others do as well. I'm 5' 7" and weigh close to 220 with decent strength, but after cutting my 100-flex sticks, I have zero bend. Even if I try to put all my weight on top of the stick, I can bend it maybe one inch.

I know cutting the sticks isn't helping my cause, but since I'll always have to shorten them, I intend to drop to intermediate the next time I buy one.

That is a very big jump down. I find Int. way too whippy for just about everything you do in a hockey game, I have an inch or two on you, but you are 40lbs heavier and most probably stronger than me. The perfect medium for me is a 75, cut down to 80-85 depending on brand. 

Fact is most beer leaguers play with a shaft that is way too stiff for them and they would get more out if the stick if they had more flex. A lot of people thunk that they need it so hey can shoot harder but if you don't really shoot properly and load up the shaft you actually loose power.  And it's not a matter of weight or size really... it's technique.  I'm 5'10" 205 (used to be 227!) and I use a 75 or 85.  I shoot better with the 75.  I don't really get low enough or drive through the ice enough to load up a stiffer shaft.  

I'm 6ft tall, and about 180lbs without gear on. 

I've been using a 75 for many years, and even tried a 65 intermediate at some stage. I could get a decent shot even with a 65 flex, but recently switching to ice I felt the 75 flex wasnt giving me the pop I wanted. Went to a 87 flex, and havent really seen a change in the velocity of my shot. I do have a quicker release with the 87, but think that I will go back to the 75 flex.

One reason that the previous 75 flex wasnt doing it for me could have been the stick whipping out after that many years of use. 

Also, the technology has evolved in terms on how the sticks are laid up. I remember trying to use a TPS Whip flex back in 2004 - it was a wet noodle then and I was a much better and stronger player then.  I remember struggling to stickhandle with it because the stick gave in all directions.

Now, I'm been using that flex for 4 years. 

38 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Also, the technology has evolved in terms on how the sticks are laid up. I remember trying to use a TPS Whip flex back in 2004 - it was a wet noodle then and I was a much better and stronger player then.  I remember struggling to stickhandle with it because the stick gave in all directions.

Now, I'm been using that flex for 4 years. 

Allan Dolling was the pro rep for Innovative in the early 2000's and I used to get some crazy flex 1100's from him.  Ever use one of those 440 Flex???  

13 hours ago, Hills said:

I'm sure you are a better shooter than Kessel and Briere who both use very low flex sticks as well. It clearly has nothing to do with personal preference or how you play.

I'm also sure the goalies in those leagues can say whatever he wants while he laughs to the bank after lighting them up.

Really so putting ur weight into a whippy stick and breaking it is funny ? Are u in the NHL? Are you kessel ? Are you Breire ? 

12 minutes ago, Zac911 said:

Allan Dolling was the pro rep for Innovative in the early 2000's and I used to get some crazy flex 1100's from him.  Ever use one of those 440 Flex???  

I tried. Just couldn't master it. 

Getting my hands on some Brett Hull 'metal matrix' (remember that description?) Easton Zbubbles was life changing. 70 flex and it fired laser beams, quick load, quick release.

just like everything else in hockey, there's no right or wrong, just personal preference. 

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

I tried. Just couldn't master it. 

Passes coming in hot were pretty tricky for sure.  Reach out and reel them in... Lot's of reps and practice.  

4 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Fact is most beer leaguers play with a shaft that is way too stiff for them and they would get more out if the stick if they had more flex. A lot of people thunk that they need it so hey can shoot harder but if you don't really shoot properly and load up the shaft you actually loose power.  And it's not a matter of weight or size really... it's technique.  I'm 5'10" 205 (used to be 227!) and I use a 75 or 85.  I shoot better with the 75.  I don't really get low enough or drive through the ice enough to load up a stiffer shaft.  

I tip my hat off to you buddy! It's all about TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE. I didn't just suddenly jump to 102 flex, I worked my way up in flexes shooting with proper technique. It all started 3 years ago during an on ice work out with Justin Vaive, and Peter Delmas. I was using a 77 flex and I snapped two of them in half in the exact same spot a little lower then where my bottom hand was just from receiving passes from Justin, my technique was fine and every time I shot it Peter would make it look like I was firing a hollow orange plastic puck, so I jumped up to 87 then eventually to 102, I knew I had to get stronger, I didn't change my technique. It was all about how strong you are when you use the proper technique, growing into your shot. I would have never gotten to this point where I'm at now, I was obsessed with accuracy, I had to keep failing miserably, kept on tinkering, trying different things until I finally found what works for me. 

Its just ridiculous how good Johnny is, but I'm not him, or kessel, what works for them won't work for me.

3 hours ago, fatwabbit said:

I'm 6ft tall, and about 180lbs without gear on. 

I've been using a 75 for many years, and even tried a 65 intermediate at some stage. I could get a decent shot even with a 65 flex, but recently switching to ice I felt the 75 flex wasnt giving me the pop I wanted. Went to a 87 flex, and havent really seen a change in the velocity of my shot. I do have a quicker release with the 87, but think that I will go back to the 75 flex.

One reason that the previous 75 flex wasnt doing it for me could have been the stick whipping out after that many years of use. 

Flex of the stick does not really affect the velocity. Velocity comes strictly from amount of power you put into the shot. Flex allows delay of power transfer from you to the puck. This kind of power buffer gives you additional control over the shot. That said though, if you are a beefy lad, you might have more in you than a lower index stick can buffer. 180lb chap, is probably well matched to a 75 flex, 85 is more of a 200lb thing. There is a video on YouTube with slow motion camera of NHL def doing slopes with his normal composite flex stick as well as with old wooden stick. Both shots were too close in velocity and placement to call a victor. You can see one stick flexing into a "c" shape, and another remains basically straight.

5'7 160ish (190lbs at one point)

I've always fluctuated between 60 and 65 flex. Its not really outlandish at all. Let the stick do the work. 

3 hours ago, Zac911 said:

Yep. I had a Brett Hull PS 1100 Shaft. 440 Flex. I also had one of his MM Z-Bubbles.

I really miss those sticks. 

Brett Hull, the master of technique,the original ASSASSIN. Three players mentioned in this thread : Gaudreau, Kessel, Hull. They don't get much hype because they are American, although Brett was born in Canada with a famous hockey legend father, I've always wondered why he chose to represent America. Anyone know the reason behind this? 

Per Wikipedia

"As a dual Canadian and American citizen, Hull was eligible to play for either country internationally. While playing at UMD, he was passed over by officials with Team Canada when they selected their roster for the 1986 World Ice Hockey Championships. However, the American national team invited him to join their squad. Hull accepted and led the team in scoring with 7 goals and 11 points for the sixth place Americans. Hull later said the faith shown in him by American officials gave him the confidence to excel in his career.[47] He played with Team USA for the rest of his career, and at the 1986 Calgary Cup tournament, played a pivotal role in a 5–3 upset of Canada by the Americans. Following the game, he said "I don't feel more like an American than a Canadian. I just want to play."[48] "

44 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

Per Wikipedia

"As a dual Canadian and American citizen, Hull was eligible to play for either country internationally. While playing at UMD, he was passed over by officials with Team Canada when they selected their roster for the 1986 World Ice Hockey Championships. However, the American national team invited him to join their squad. Hull accepted and led the team in scoring with 7 goals and 11 points for the sixth place Americans. Hull later said the faith shown in him by American officials gave him the confidence to excel in his career.[47] He played with Team USA for the rest of his career, and at the 1986 Calgary Cup tournament, played a pivotal role in a 5–3 upset of Canada by the Americans. Following the game, he said "I don't feel more like an American than a Canadian. I just want to play."[48] "

Lol I don't blame him. Hey how the fu..did I forget Vaive ?Vaiver is a star spangled banner boy too.. Jesus, guys a beast.

Nothing wrong about using a lower flex stick and although technique may have something to do with it I don't believe it plays as much as a factor as people think , probably more so at higher levels then lower...ie Kessel, Ovi, Johnny, Gallagher all use low flex sticks and they have better technique then anybody on this thread would.

It's nothing more then personal preference.

At lower levels of hockey I see WAYYYYY to many people using a stick that is way to stiff for them because they think they are strong enough to use 100 Flex...yep you enjoy your shitty slow shots that dribble along the ground. Worst is when you suggest they try a lower flex they have a go at you. 

I don't think anyone is making a mockery of a guy who is near a point per game at the NHL level and routinely makes dmen look like fools...

Softer flexes also have nothing to do with worse durability despite the continual rhetoric on that for years. What's easier to snap, a cooked noodle or a raw noodle?

I was going to bring that up as well.  Common misconception is a whippier stick breaks easier, which isn't the case.

The vast majority of shaft breakages that I see coming through our store and customers talking to us about it occur from the player using a stick too stiff for them.

10 hours ago, kovalchuk71 said:

5'7 160ish (190lbs at one point)

I've always fluctuated between 60 and 65 flex. Its not really outlandish at all. Let the stick do the work

Yep. I had a Brett Hull PS 1100 Shaft. 440 Flex. I also had one of his MM Z-Bubbles.

I really miss those sticks. 

This.  It only makes sense.  

Too many guys judge a stick by practice clappers where they have time to take golf swings.

In reality the game happens in motion and shooting on the fly with a stiffer stick is much more difficult.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

I was going to bring that up as well.  Common misconception is a whippier stick breaks easier, which isn't the case.

The vast majority of shaft breakages that I see coming through our store and customers talking to us about it occur from the player using a stick too stiff for them.

That was part of that huge thread years ago.  Marz brought up that that the X-Stiff sticks tend to break more.  If you are over shafted you typically have to take bigger cuts which leads to the blade contacting the ice with much higher energy and eventually leading to blade failure.

11 hours ago, EBondo said:

What I'd give for a whip flex XN10 right about now...

Huge fan of the WHIP RUBBER Shafts.  When they launched the XN10 with Amorphous Carbon they lost me.  10 or so one timers and they would explode,  but that RUBBER Shaft.... MMMM.

Some may be amazed...But seriuosly   look at the NHL players and many of them are flexing their sticks.  The Key indicater IMO is how much the shaft flexes after the puck is launched.  If it was just them flexinghte stick, then you wouldnt see as much post flex.

This also being a warrior stick.  I would believe it very much.  They are awesome with their flexxiness.  I had a fellow Dad who was easily 5'10" playing a 55 flex DT2 with an extension and everytime I saw him I would flex his stick and it was solid.  Never any creaking or popping or thoughts of the the thing ever snapping.  I was impressed.

Obviously every choice or selection a player should make about his stick should be based on what will give him more success "on the fly" In terms of shooting, passing...just because a handful NHL guys settle for softer flexes, doesn't mean I would have the same success but the whole point of using a softer flex is to load up and get that sling shot effect for a quick release. Ok now let me ask you guys a question ... Say one of those handful NHL guys mentioned above who posess such perfect beautiful effective technique and shooting mechanics decided to move up in flex during the OFFSEASON, changed their work out routine to get stronger and to be able to load stiffer sticks with that same technique, will they have a better shot ? Ovechkin  doesn't just use a whippy stick, he always has a collection of sticks on the bench marked with different flexes, he changes them up depending on how he feels, if you pay attention to what he does before he gets on the power play, he would switch up to a higher flex for explosive one timers.

2 minutes ago, masterpeice_patrice said:

Obviously every choice or selection a player should make about his stick should be based on what will give him more success "on the fly" In terms of shooting, passing...just because a handful NHL guys settle for softer flexes, doesn't mean I would have the same success but the whole point of using a softer flex is to load up and get that sling shot effect for a quick release. Ok now let me ask you guys a question ... Say one of those handful NHL guys mentioned above who posess such perfect beautiful effective technique and shooting mechanics decided to move up in flex during the OFFSEASON, changed their work out routine to get stronger and to be able to load stiffer sticks with that same technique, will they have a better shot ? Ovechkin  doesn't just use a whippy stick, he always has a collection of sticks on the bench marked with different flexes, he changes them up depending on how he feels, if you pay attention to what he does before he gets on the power play, he would switch up to a higher flex for explosive one timers.

no, because all players are individual in their tastes. brett hull certainly was strong enough to go up in flex if he wanted to, and i am sure he had the opportunity, but some guys prefer the softer flex end of story.