Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johndeere506

Mid Grade Stick Recommendations

I'm just getting back into things, so not familiar with the latest sticks other than what I've read on here. 

I want a decent all around stick, but I wont be taking hard slapshots with the kids or even at the start of playing in a league, so I don't need something like a supreme with a mid/high kick for lots of power.

I was thinking like a Vapor 700/800, or a Nexus 7000/8000. Im thinking a P92, 87 flex. These arent necessarily my preference, but more the average it seems. Im 6'1" and 210lbs. I just want to get back in the swing and be able to do some moderate wrist shots but still be able to perform well up close and fast. Mostly looking at last years because anything will likely be worlds better than my past sticks. Price range about 100-150 for last years models.

I only looked into the Bauers so far, let me know what you recommend. Other brand are ok too. I could get 2 if I need to find a preference.

Still undecided on grip or not, never had one before.

1 hour ago, johndeere506 said:

I'm just getting back into things, so not familiar with the latest sticks other than what I've read on here. 

I want a decent all around stick, but I wont be taking hard slapshots with the kids or even at the start of playing in a league, so I don't need something like a supreme with a mid/high kick for lots of power.

I was thinking like a Vapor 700/800, or a Nexus 7000/8000. Im thinking a P92, 87 flex. These arent necessarily my preference, but more the average it seems. Im 6'1" and 210lbs. I just want to get back in the swing and be able to do some moderate wrist shots but still be able to perform well up close and fast. Mostly looking at last years because anything will likely be worlds better than my past sticks. Price range about 100-150 for last years models.

I only looked into the Bauers so far, let me know what you recommend. Other brand are ok too. I could get 2 if I need to find a preference.

Still undecided on grip or not, never had one before.

Definitely look into more than just Bauer. 

For something mid-range, where you haven't developed preferences yet, I would always recommend a True A4.5. 

Buy top of the line closeout.  Might be hard to find the right hand, pattern, flex in the US, unless you're a lefty right now.  But if you time it right when a new gen stick comes out, you can find last model top end generally at the cost of $125-$150.

Depending on the lie that you use, you can get some silly deals on left handed twigs on prostockhockey.com.  I just picked up some real nice ones for like $90 a piece.

If you're buying new stock with no discounts, the answer to these questions is always True. Best "bang for your buck" at each midrange level. 

Or, buy those sticks on closeouts, and have money leftover for for booze or coffee. 

10 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

Are you going to play in a league or competitive games, Or just need something to mess around with?

For the moment just helping the kids get going, they are 4 and 6, doing sticks and puck sessions. Sort of thinking a low kick just to practice, and get some accuracy going again.

Next fall, I want to start on a league or drop in or whatever it's called now  if I can find something. 

No idea what my level is. Most of you are probably real good, I only played ponds and drop in games, but played with all my high school team pals. I was about the same as them, but clearly not in that physical shape at the moment. Not sure where that puts me.

So many sticks out there...

4 hours ago, start_today said:

If you're buying new stock with no discounts, the answer to these questions is always True. Best "bang for your buck" at each midrange level. 

Or, buy those sticks on closeouts, and have money leftover for for booze or coffee. 

Make a sense. If I could find a good left hand, p92, 87 flex mid to low kick, id  buy it. Lots of clearance stuff but not finding that in something like a vapor or equivalent.

I'm not set on the above specs but has been recommended, and the ones I handled felt good.

2 hours ago, johndeere506 said:

For the moment just helping the kids get going, they are 4 and 6, doing sticks and puck sessions. Sort of thinking a low kick just to practice, and get some accuracy going again.

Next fall, I want to start on a league or drop in or whatever it's called now  if I can find something. 

No idea what my level is. Most of you are probably real good, I only played ponds and drop in games, but played with all my high school team pals. I was about the same as them, but clearly not in that physical shape at the moment. Not sure where that puts me.

So many sticks out there...

Sherwood 5030

2 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Since you are a lefty, there are tons of pro stocks available  at places like Pro Stock Hockey. I would recommend something like a ccm reckoner or trigger.

X2 if your a low kick fan these ccm triggers seemed to have the hardest/quickest shot combo I have used to date imo 

Im only finding a couple Triggers in the specs I was looking for, on prostock but still looking. Ive found several mid grade sticks like a last years nexus8000 or vapor 800 for like 90 bucks. The top end sticks still cost about 140-150. Seems that most people are recommeding the higher ones.

I dont even know my length needed but Im 6'1" (73") so probably only the longer option will work? Around 64" maybe. Lots of sticks on prostock are shorter than that.

I found a bunch of sticks on their their 64 to even 67 inches in length. If you don't know what your length is and have the option of buying a really long stick do that so you can cut it down if you need to since that's easier and cheaper to do so than gluing in an extension.

I guess I finally figured out how to better describe what stick I want. Basement practice on a shooting mat at 20 ft. Would this be better with a low or mid kick. Practicing accuracy with softer shots repeatedly, and then harder at 20 ft. 

Does this fit low or mid kick?

Accuracy and velocity are both valuable but don't forget release speed. The quicker you get your shots off, the better chance you have of catching the goalie moving.

From what you're describing you'll be using this for I wouldn't spend more than 100 bux. Literally you just want to shoot around in the garage and play with your kids, maybe do an occasional drop in.

All of this low kick, mid kick, etc. will probably not matter for you at all, in fact I doubt you'll even notice a difference. As for length, its measured from the heel to the top of the shaft, meaning it doesn't include almost the entire blade when you have it just standing there against the wall. A 60" stick is probably 65" tall when you just stand it up on the ground next to you. At 6'1" that's going to be plenty long for you, you may even have to cut it.

stickdiagram2015.jpg

PP92 and 87 flex both seem like great starting points. Just get something thats nicely balanced and won't chip and break in a week on your garage floor.

Personally I've been a big fan of sherwood, I have 2 EK15s and they're amazing. People also like the T90. They even make a T90 with an abs reinforced blade, which would be an amazing stick for your use, but its $130, maybe a bit too expensive. (Note on Sherwood: pp26 pattern is their equivalent of bauer's pp92)

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Sherwood_T90_ABS_Composite_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr/descpage-SW90.html

There's a cheaper/heavier version for 60 bux

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Sherwood_T60_ABS_Composite_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr_/descpage-SW60.html

There's also these two closeout beauties:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Sherwood_BPM_90_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr_/descpage-SB90G.html

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Sherwood_BPM_150_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr_/descpage-SB15G.html

Warrior and True sticks are awesome as well, also frequently found on closeouts. True A4.5 is a really great stick, you really don't need much more than that for any level of beer league play. I bet A1 would be great for just shooting pucks around in the garage.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/True_A45_SBP_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr/descpage-T4SS6.html

http://www.icewarehouse.com/True_A10_SBP_Grip_Hockey_Sticks_Sr/descpage-T1SS6.html

Thank you for all that info. I just looked up measurements earlier and found the same. All my old sticks are 59-60, so I was way off.

Thats kind of what I was thinking price wise. Im sure they are better, but does it really matter for me. Maybe if a can join a league next fall ill get something better. My accuracy came back real fast in the basement tonight with a crappy old wooden stick, so any new 100 dollar stick should provide a good improvement in feel/power/speed on the ice I would hope.

Id really like to get one in person if possible, and my local store has a bunch of clearance Vapors, not sure what else yet that's all i checked last time.

1 hour ago, rawkstar said:

From what you're describing you'll be using this for I wouldn't spend more than 100 bux. Literally you just want to shoot around in the garage and play with your kids, maybe do an occasional drop in.

All of this low kick, mid kick, etc. will probably not matter for you at all, in fact I doubt you'll even notice a difference.

Amen! The fact that we all post on this forum makes us really into gear and like nice gear, but seriously, don't spend a lot of money till you at least play with an option or two for a while. I would get last years mid-range stick for probably like $75. That will work plenty fine.

9 hours ago, Davideo said:

Amen! The fact that we all post on this forum makes us really into gear and like nice gear, but seriously, don't spend a lot of money till you at least play with an option or two for a while. I would get last years mid-range stick for probably like $75. That will work plenty fine.

Yeah that makes sense, to play with a couple. Cant have multiples if I go for the highest ones.

Also, would it make more sense getting an up close low kick stick (Vapor/Ribcore) with a P92 (or even P28), and then when I get a mid kick (Nexus/RBZ) to get something for harder longer wrist shots to get like a P88? This is what I talked myself into, just wanted someone to confirm if thats true.

Maybe 2 sticks of 100 each would be helpful.