Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I picked up my skates on Friday after anxiously waiting for them to be delivered.

I ordered them through a local fit center, so I was able to demo their (baked) stock models before placing my order and get them to take care of the measurements as well. This was really helpful as I had skated on MLX before but never VH's, so I could really feel what the skates were all about before deciding make any changes/ alterations. When I placed my order a asked for,

Plain black boot

New toe cap

Clarino liner

Oversized 280mm Edge holder with LS4 steel

Full foam on inside of tendon guard

Maltese tongue

Top 3 Eyelets forward from standard position on VH skates- Top 8mm forward from centre, 2nd eyelet to top 6mm, 3rd eyelet to top 4mm

Rust resistant eyelets

Extra cooper rivets (front and back of front tower, back of back tower)

Extra thick comfort edge

VH came back and said that they aren't really doing the Maltese tongue anymore as they found while the gel worked well, it was heavy and the new metatarsal guard tongue is as good if not better to relieve lace bite, but they could do all the other requests, no problem. I was a little hesitant about the metatarsal guard tongue as I had them a while back in a pair of pro stock Bauer One90's and wasn't a fan as I found them to restrictive through the top eyelets and above. I decided to give it a shot anyway that's what VH recommended to relieve the lacebit issues I've had ever since I had started playing hockey many moons ago.

I hadn't been this excited about a piece of new hockey equipment in a while, so it was a nice change to be really looking forward getting these on my feet. The skates were delivered directly to the fit center instead of to me so I drove over once I got the word. Once I arrived I open the box and inspected the skates, only to see that three of the main additions/ alterations I asked for were missing or not even close to what I had asked for. I was initially a little disappointed but decided to try the skates and VH's recommendations with an open mind.

They didn't cover the the whole tendon guard as I asked, as I found on demo model rubbed a little where the plastic corners were. They also didn't add the comfort edges either which was a bigger disappointment as I sent them pictures (of the sides and top veiw of an X100 skate) to replicate on my skates. The biggest disappointment was by far the eyelet set up. Again I had sent them a picture of what I wanted and gave them specific measurements (didn't want quite as aggressive) and they said they were able to fulfill this request before proceeding with my order. When I got the skates, I saw they had added on an eyelet extension for the top tow eyelets (approximately 22mm forward) and left the original eyelets in as well.

image2_zpsutxizxak.jpg

image3_zps5mdfciff.jpg

image1_zpsskojmpnm.jpg

I will skate on them tonight, which will be the real test of course but just from trying these on inside the eyelet set up doesn't feel ideal as it's to far forward, similar to how the 55 flex feels. I've different lace combinations as well but nothing is exactly right. Hopefully it's just in my head and they feel amazing on the ice.

I don't know if I am overreacting a bit, but it seems weird to me to say that they can fulfill a request and not communicate anything throughout the manufacturing process about having difficulties and deliver something vastly different than the initial request. Do you think this is fair and I am just over blowing the situation? To me it seems unreasonable to pay money for customs and have them say they can do something and not deliver. If they had told me this was the only way (adding the extension) or it's not something they can do and it was my choice to still go ahead, I would understand and that would be on me but not saying anything isn't really fair IMO.

Edited by malcb33

I picked up my skates on Friday after anxiously waiting for them to be delivered.

I ordered them through a local fit center, so I was able to demo their (baked) stock models before placing my order and get them to take care of the measurements as well. This was really helpful as I had skated on MLX before but never VH's, so I could really feel what the skates were all about before deciding make any changes/ alterations. When I placed my order a asked for,

Plain black boot

New toe cap

Clarino liner

Oversized 280mm Edge holder with LS4 steel

Full foam on inside of tendon guard

Maltese tongue

Top 3 Eyelets forward from standard position on VH skates- Top 8mm forward from centre, 2nd eyelet to top 6mm, 3rd eyelet to top 4mm

Rust resistant eyelets

Extra cooper rivets (front and back of front tower, back of back tower)

Extra thick comfort edge

VH came back and said that they aren't really doing the Maltese tongue anymore as they found while the gel worked well, it was heavy and the new metatarsal guard tongue is as good if not better to relieve lace bite, but they could do all the other requests, no problem. I was a little hesitant about the metatarsal guard tongue as I had them a while back in a pair of pro stock Bauer One90's and wasn't a fan as I found them to restrictive through the top eyelets and above. I decided to give it a shot anyway that's what VH recommended to relieve the lacebit issues I've had ever since I had started playing hockey many moons ago.

I hadn't been this excited about a piece of new hockey equipment in a while, so it was a nice change to be really looking forward getting these on my feet. The skates were delivered directly to the fit center instead of to me so I drove over once I got the word. Once I arrived I open the box and inspected the skates, only to see that three of the main additions/ alterations I asked for were missing or not even close to what I had asked for. I was initially a little disappointed but decided to try the skates and VH's recommendations with an open mind.

They didn't cover the the whole tendon guard as I asked, as I found on demo model rubbed a little where the plastic corners were. They also didn't add the comfort edges either which was a bigger disappointment as I sent them pictures (of the sides and top veiw of an X100 skate) to replicate on my skates. The biggest disappointment was by far the eyelet set up. Again I had sent them a picture of what I wanted and gave them specific measurements (didn't want quite as aggressive) and they said they were able to fulfill this request before proceeding with my order. When I got the skates, I saw they had added on an eyelet extension for the top tow eyelets (approximately 22mm forward) and left the original eyelets in as well.

I will skate on them tonight, which will be the real test of course but just from trying these on inside the eyelet set up doesn't feel ideal as it's to far forward, similar to how the 55 flex feels. I've different lace combinations as well but nothing is exactly right. Hopefully it's just in my head and they feel amazing on the ice.

I don't know if I am overreacting a bit, but it seems weird to me to say that they can fulfill a request and not communicate anything throughout the manufacturing process about having difficulties and deliver something vastly different than the initial request. Do you think this is fair and I am just over blowing the situation? To me it seems unreasonable to pay money for customs and have them say they can do something and not deliver. If they had told me this was the only way (adding the extension) or it's not something they can do and it was my choice to still go ahead, I would understand and that would be on me but not saying anything isn't really fair IMO.

For the amount you pay on the skates I do not think it is asking to much to have better fit and finish (that tendon guard foam looks like someone just cut out a piece of foam and glued it on there) and to be made to your specifications when they say they can. The double eyelet is interesting to say the least.

I would agree that it isn't really fair to not communicate that stuff to you, especially when your doing something so custom. But I would suggest trying them first to see how they feel and then you can safely say what needs to change then sending them an email about it and see what they say. I've found there customer service to be pretty good, they do lack in communication some times but seem to be willing to help in anyway possible as I've found when I enouctered an issue with the stock tongue.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

For the amount you pay on the skates I do not think it is asking to much to have better fit and finish (that tendon guard foam looks like someone just cut out a piece of foam and glued it on there) and to be made to your specifications when they say they can. The double eyelet is interesting to say the least.

While I hear what you are saying, the aesthetics don't really bother me that much. I knew what I was getting into with VH and as long as it performs and holds up (and doesn't look totally horrible) I'm OK with it. The eyelets however are a performance issue, but I'm hoping for the best.

Edited by malcb33

I had the same sort of minor communication issues where it seems like they just want to take foot tracings, mold a skate and ship it out. I'm not buying your skates because I feel like spending $900 for no reason, I have a long list of issues I'm working through and need to make sure they're addressed! My first pair I simply had to ship back as they were wrong, and although I'm happy with them now there are still some things they could have done to make the skate even better, but didn't.

I would send them back if that was me. I love my VH skates but if I'm paying that much money for hand-made skates, they better not be problematic performance wise.

They are very accommodating to issues, especially since those eyelets and the tendon guard look atrocious. Send em back.

Edited by Bbd94

:blink::laugh: That's the most hideous skate I've ever seen!

Send it back. It's not what you asked for... and you should expect more when you spend $900. :facepalm:

Just tell them, no... I want this:

qNN6CZf.jpg

Or maybe the above with some MX3 comfort edginess:

qJlck1F.jpg

Edited by mc88

I wouldn't be happy with those..... send them back for sure. Honestly, I LOVE my VH and won't wear any other skate fron now on, BUT.... their communication isn't the best...

I asked them for comfort edge and was told that that's a default for all their skates, but mine certainly don't look like that second photo. It hasn't been an issue though.

I wouldn't be happy with those..... send them back for sure. Honestly, I LOVE my VH and won't wear any other skate fron now on, BUT.... their communication isn't the best...

Who were you dealing with? Rob got back to me always within a few hours.

Yeah, they showed a close up of Steens new VH skates on one of the Blues broadcast a few games ago. They look pretty cool. I don't want to spend that much on skates though and I think my feet are pretty normal so I don't think I need them.

Edit:

They just showed Steens skates again and talked about the built in shot blockers after he blocked a shot with his foot. He came off the ice because it was a hard shot but he's alright! Them built in shot blockers worked!

Edited by StlBlues86

While I hear what you are saying, the aesthetics don't really bother me that much. I knew what I was getting into with VH and as long as it performs and holds up (and doesn't look totally horrible) I'm OK with it. The eyelets however are a performance issue, but I'm hoping for the best.

I'm still loving my VH skates after over 2 years, but to be quite honest, I'd be disappointed with the eyelet thing. If the eyelet configuration doesn't feel like you expected, definitely tell them you're not happy about it. It's not what you asked for. Maybe Scott should have refused the request for such a radical departure from his standard VH model. Since he didn't, he must be ready and willing to deal with the consequences.

Having said that, I'd be wary of asking for anything that differs that much from the standard VH design that NHL players are wearing, and that Scott has refined over several years. I get plenty of forward flex on my ordinary custom VH pair laced normally to the top eyelet.

I also wonder how you'll get your foot in and out of the boot once the heat-molding has wrapped the top eyelets together, completely closing the gap with rock-hard thermo-plastic around the ankle.

Edited by Larry54

I'd have to agree there. Doing something like that with eyelets makes a lot of sense in the skiboot-like Vapors of the world, but the VH is a lot more tuned to your foot and seems unnecessary. Regardless, if it's not what you asked for then you should absolutely say something. At worst they'll just tell you they aren't able to accommodate your request and you can either keep what they sent, or opt for a "normal" boot. VH is pretty good with the customer service, generally.

I asked them for comfort edge and was told that that's a default for all their skates, but mine certainly don't look like that second photo. It hasn't been an issue though.

Who were you dealing with? Rob got back to me always within a few hours.

Would you mind posting a pic of your comfort edges Optimus?

I dealt with the local dealer, so I third party who communicated with VH. However I sent a detailed email with pictures and examples to the dealer, who forwarded it on so there shouldn't be any mis-communication issues with what I wanted.

Edited by malcb33

Would you mind posting a pic of your comfort edges Optimus?

I dealt with the local dealer, so I third party who communicated with VH. However I sent a detailed email with pictures and examples to the dealer, who forwarded it on so there shouldn't be any mis-communication issues with what I wanted.

Mine look like the top photo that mc88 posted. I wanted the bottom, but they told me the top *IS* their comfort edge. Maybe they misunderstood what I was asking for.

Either way, like I said it hasn't been an issue for me. The comfort edge would have been nice but I've had no pain or anything from the stock edges.

Maybe they misunderstood what I was asking for.

This is what I mean by "their commnication isn't the best". I've read several times where people didn't receieve what was requested. I asked questions in emails that went unanswered, even when I repeated it in a few different emails. BUT, as I stated.... I love the skates and won't wear anything else now.

I've sent a parcel to VH.

It's time to order my 2nd VH boots!

New one peace tendon guard + fixing by little lean back angle

Enhanced side wall protection

Plasti-coating toe cap (cover wide area as almost same as new hard plastic toe cap)

Enhanced metatarsal guard tongue + custom thickness

Fixing LS2 holder with added 8 holes

Convenient heel hole to access to LS2 fixing nut

No bump heel design

I don't know VH can accept all of these my wishes. But I wait expectantly!

Mine look like the top photo that mc88 posted. I wanted the bottom, but they told me the top *IS* their comfort edge. Maybe they misunderstood what I was asking for.

Either way, like I said it hasn't been an issue for me. The comfort edge would have been nice but I've had no pain or anything from the stock edges.

I asked for comfort edge and got that too!.....

Enhanced metatarsal guard tongue + custom thickness

I really wasn't a fan of the metatarsal guard tongue. Not saying you won't be either, but the plastic insert comes up to high and widens at the top which makes it really stiff and inhibits forwards flexion as it locks up against the sides of the boot. Unfortunately this makes the skate feel more like a ski boot and is the exact opposite of what I was looking for.

VH recommends the Meta tongue for lace bite and protection, but I switched over to the regular tongue (after skating on the meta tongue a few times) at the store and like it way more.

Edited by malcb33

I really wasn't a fan of the metatarsal guard tongue. Not saying you won't be either, but the plastic insert comes up to high and widens at the top which makes it really stiff and inhibits forwards flexion as it locks up against the sides of the boot. Unfortunately this makes the skate feel more like a ski boot and is the exact opposite of what I was looking for.

VH recommends the Meta tongue for lace bite and protection, but I switched over to the regular tongue (after skating on the meta tongue a few times) at the store and like it way more.

How is it going with your eyelet extensions? I keep thinking about that strange solution they ended up with for your boots.

How is it going with your eyelet extensions? I keep thinking about that strange solution they ended up with for your boots.

Yeah I imagined similar thing before I ordered. Metatarsal guard option probably can prevent lace-bite but I wonder how will it be that flexibility of the ankle.

So I've already ordered 2 set of tongues! Normal felt custom thickness tongue and metatarsal guarded custom thickness tongue. I want to reduce my skate weight as possible. So if lace-bite issue would be solved by custom thickness and special wave cutting shape of eyelet fin, perhaps I will not use metatarsal guard. Anyway I want to decide that use/ not use metatarsal guard by sense of whether comfortable or mobility.