Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SkateWorksPNW

Customer ordering some CCM custom skates, questions on options I have never ordered?

Recommended Posts

Have a customer who is ordering 3 pairs of full custom AS1 skates, two primary and the third as a back-up. He is wondering the difference between the following options below. Help is appreciated since he is dropping some serious cash buying himself 3 pairs of skates and doesn't want to make a mistake when selecting options. 

 

Tongue:

Pro Tongue HPE vs EVA? He is looking for a thin and light tongue with decent protection. Becuase of the requested protection he wants, I advised against the lightweight molded tongue. Is there a better option? 

Liner:

I have ordered all of the Clarino options before for various customers. He is wanting to know what the Air Mesh option is? Also, he noticed it says "other" as an option, which I have never noticed previously, what "other" options are there?

Facing:

If he orders the 1/4" advance facing, is that on both the inside and outside, or just the outside?

Toe Cap:

If he selects oversized, do they just source one size larger for the cap or how do they determine what size cap they provide? For example, if he wears a size 9 skate, does CCM instead use a toe cap for a 10? Again, there is an option for "other" which I have previously never seen. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Have a customer who is ordering 3 pairs of full custom AS1 skates, two primary and the third as a back-up. He is wondering the difference between the following options below. Help is appreciated since he is dropping some serious cash buying himself 3 pairs of skates and doesn't want to make a mistake when selecting options. 

 

Tongue:

Pro Tongue HPE vs EVA? He is looking for a thin and light tongue with decent protection. Becuase of the requested protection he wants, I advised against the lightweight molded tongue. Is there a better option? 

Liner:

I have ordered all of the Clarino options before for various customers. He is wanting to know what the Air Mesh option is? Also, he noticed it says "other" as an option, which I have never noticed previously, what "other" options are there?

Facing:

If he orders the 1/4" advance facing, is that on both the inside and outside, or just the outside?

Toe Cap:

If he selects oversized, do they just source one size larger for the cap or how do they determine what size cap they provide? For example, if he wears a size 9 skate, does CCM instead use a toe cap for a 10? Again, there is an option for "other" which I have previously never seen. 

 

 

 

 

 

Tongue - he probably would want the HD tongue.  It's CCM's version of the Supreme molded (ONE95) tongue. The Pro Lightweight is something very similar to a TotalONE tongue.

The air mesh option is exactly as it sounds.  Graf used to offer it back in the day.  I assume they have a grip liner of some sort that is offered at pro.  I'm not at my desk so I'm doing this strictly off of memory.

Advanced facing is the entire boot, all in 1/4" increments.  You have two forward options and one recessed option.

It's usually the next size up, unless you choose other and request 2 sizes up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Tongue - he probably would want the HD tongue.  It's CCM's version of the Supreme molded (ONE95) tongue. The Pro Lightweight is something very similar to a TotalONE tongue.

The air mesh option is exactly as it sounds.  Graf used to offer it back in the day.  I assume they have a grip liner of some sort that is offered at pro.  I'm not at my desk so I'm doing this strictly off of memory.

 Advanced facing is the entire boot, all in 1/4" increments.  You have two forward options and one recessed option.

It's usually the next size up, unless you choose other and request 2 sizes up.

The HD tongue sounds exactly like what he wants.

Makes sense about the air mesh lining. I dont think he wants that and I always recommend clarino so we will see what he chooses. 

So the advanced facing would allow the eyelets to wrap over the top of the foot better, yes?

Good to know about the toe cap. I think he wants two sizes up, if that's even possible, so I will make a note of it on the order sheet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, advancing the facing will in essence add more wrap and depth to the boot.

2 sizes up is possible for toe caps. I've personally ordered it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey JR or anybody else - what would be the easiest way to find a reputable retailer/person who can fit me for the Total Custom process? (not the 3d scan one but the total custom) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 7/9/2018 at 4:27 PM, gdl188 said:

Hey JR or anybody else - what would be the easiest way to find a reputable retailer/person who can fit me for the Total Custom process? (not the 3d scan one but the total custom) 

 

Hey just chiming in here since i think i can help. All retailers that have the CCM 3D Fit Scanner have the option of the 3D Custom Molded and Total Custom skates.

There is a Retailer-Finder at the bottom of this page: https://ccmhockey.com/en/3d-fit-scanner#sm.000xztiij19kmdpsto12lifraaojx

Hope this helps you out.

JS 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BelangerJS said:

 

 

Hey just chiming in here since i think i can help. All retailers that have the CCM 3D Fit Scanner have the option of the 3D Custom Molded and Total Custom skates.

There is a Retailer-Finder at the bottom of this page: https://ccmhockey.com/en/3d-fit-scanner#sm.000xztiij19kmdpsto12lifraaojx

Hope this helps you out.

JS 

When I use the retailer finder, it only presents me with one result, (which is a bit odd because I'm in the eastern GTA).  I went to that retailer and requested the CCM scan because I wanted to know what CCM boot would be recommended for me.  The store staff basically refused to give me the CCM scan and just said use the Bauer scanner.  If I wanted a CCM skate they would make a recommendation based on the Bauer scanner result.  This is a big box retailer and I wonder how many potential sales CCM is losing because people are just going with the Bauer scanner recommendation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Total Custom AS1 Skates - and had the worst pain in Skates I ever experienced. When investigating further I realized that I obviously shouldn’t use any of the Orthomove insoles - rather than using just the plain, standard insole as the bottom of the skate already has some „molding“. 

Is this right? Are they intended to use with the plain, default (black) insole? It‘s somehow misleading as the orthomove insoles also were placed near the skates when delivered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, markush said:

Got my Total Custom AS1 Skates - and had the worst pain in Skates I ever experienced. When investigating further I realized that I obviously shouldn’t use any of the Orthomove insoles - rather than using just the plain, standard insole as the bottom of the skate already has some „molding“. 

Is this right? Are they intended to use with the plain, default (black) insole? It‘s somehow misleading as the orthomove insoles also were placed near the skates when delivered. 

Yes.  

Bauer does the same thing with their Speed Plate.  The reason why this is done is because the insole may not work for you.  It's an accessory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!  Just one single question: have a problem at the left navicular bone (inside of the foot) though even it was photographed along with the 3D scan it seems it wasn’t adressed. Any chance to solve this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markush said:

Got my Total Custom AS1 Skates - and had the worst pain in Skates I ever experienced. When investigating further I realized that I obviously shouldn’t use any of the Orthomove insoles - rather than using just the plain, standard insole as the bottom of the skate already has some „molding“. 

Is this right? Are they intended to use with the plain, default (black) insole? It‘s somehow misleading as the orthomove insoles also were placed near the skates when delivered. 

Did you use them WITHOUT any of the attachments? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - also just the yellow Orthomove without any attachments, and still this was very painful. Another player who also did a Total Custom AS1 just had the exact problem!

He told me he tried without any attachments and when wearing one of them the pain was unbearable. 

But there is no single word of CCM on what insoles are intended for Total Custom Skates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Yes.  

Bauer does the same thing with their Speed Plate.  The reason why this is done is because the insole may not work for you.  It's an accessory.

I noticed that the base of each of my Custom Bauer skates is molded to my instep, so I don't really need the speed plates. However the standard insole they also supply is so thin that I get pain from the rivet heads if I skate with them in. Are there some thin alternatives to the speed plates that protect my feet from the rivet heads, and provide slight cushioning? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, markush said:

But there is no single word of CCM on what insoles are intended for Total Custom Skates. 

And they're not going to.  The insole that comes in the boot is a necessity.  Everything else is an accessory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 9:06 PM, boo10 said:

When I use the retailer finder, it only presents me with one result, (which is a bit odd because I'm in the eastern GTA).  I went to that retailer and requested the CCM scan because I wanted to know what CCM boot would be recommended for me.  The store staff basically refused to give me the CCM scan and just said use the Bauer scanner.  If I wanted a CCM skate they would make a recommendation based on the Bauer scanner result.  This is a big box retailer and I wonder how many potential sales CCM is losing because people are just going with the Bauer scanner recommendation?

Check out Source for Sports near don mills, or Majer hockey at dufferin finch, and if youre willing to really trek Dukes Source for Sports in Etobicoke is great too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, markush said:

Yes - also just the yellow Orthomove without any attachments, and still this was very painful. Another player who also did a Total Custom AS1 just had the exact problem!

He told me he tried without any attachments and when wearing one of them the pain was unbearable. 

But there is no single word of CCM on what insoles are intended for Total Custom Skates. 

How hard are you yanking on the laces?

FWIW- I barely have to pull on the laces in my custom Bauer APX2s because they fit so well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

How hard are you yanking on the laces?

FWIW- I barely have to pull on the laces in my custom Bauer APX2s because they fit so well. 

Oh the CCM Total Custom fit just fine - the thing is just if you use the Orthomove insoles which have an additional foot arch this makes it so painful. 
As the bottom of the skates (so it's really a 360 degree total customization) are also custom molded on the CCM Total Custom the plain insoles should be used to get the best fit as it was 3D scanned.
I also had the Bauer 1X with the Speedplate - but that is just the "old approach", having a plain botton of the skate and adjusting the insole to match the better fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have total custom AS1's and I use the Orthomove insoles. I like them and do think that they are intended to be used with the skates. You could definitely use the insole of your choice, but I would never use the crappy flat black ones that come in the skates. They are garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jason said:

I have total custom AS1's and I use the Orthomove insoles. I like them and do think that they are intended to be used with the skates. You could definitely use the insole of your choice, but I would never use the crappy flat black ones that come in the skates. They are garbage.

I think there is some confusion here - the way that I am understanding it is that he's asking if the skates are built with the Orthomove insoles in mind, like how people have gotten custom skates that were made to accommodate orthotics.

The answer is no.  They're made just like the retail skates; with the ability to accept any aftermarket hockey insole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Through the base of the Total Custom AS1 is completely different from the retail version. It’a completely molded to match my arch - whereas the retail skate has nearly a complete flat base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, markush said:

Through the base of the Total Custom AS1 is completely different from the retail version. It’a completely molded to match my arch - whereas the retail skate has nearly a complete flat base. 

Can you share a pic of this, please? The customs I have seen usually look very close to retail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 6:02 PM, markush said:

Thank you!  Just one single question: have a problem at the left navicular bone (inside of the foot) though even it was photographed along with the 3D scan it seems it wasn’t adressed. Any chance to solve this?

I have the same issue on my right foot... Which is the primary reason I'm going to go with full custom skates for my next pair. Very disappointing to hear this was not addressed, sounds like I might have no choice but to go with True instead of CCM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 3:38 AM, Nicholas G said:

Can you share a pic of this, please? The customs I have seen usually look very close to retail. 

Unfortunately making a foto is difficult. Imagine a quite flat bottom in retail with quite little shape/arch support vs really 3D custom feet bed/arch support 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DroidRage said:

I have the same issue on my right foot... Which is the primary reason I'm going to go with full custom skates for my next pair. Very disappointing to hear this was not addressed, sounds like I might have no choice but to go with True instead of CCM. 

It got better over time, so no more pain - but really would love someone from CCM could provide feedback on this known topic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CCM isn’t a company who posts a lot on this board. There are a few people who will post in very specific threads that they are active in for a specific time period. If you have a concern, you’re better off contacting them directly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...