Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2005 RBK Catalogue Review

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/pics/JR/2005/rbk/rbk.pdf

I must admit, the protective looks good. REALLY GOOD. I was skeptical coming into the meeting, but I was actually pleasantly surprised afterwards.

A few things to know - RBK is top-end, Reebok is low-end.

RBK and Reebok is being designed by THC - they are running the show.

Skates

The 8k skate is a totally new skate. The skate is deeper than CCM skates, and wider in the mid-foot area. It has the Pro Armour quarter package like the Pro Tacks and the same outsole as well. It also has the same anti-microbial liner from last year's Pro Tacks as well as the skate-lock, and it comes with a grip liner. The 7k is not as wide in the midfoot as the 8k, and the skate is slightly down spec'd. The 4k has a different liner and a nylon outer package.

Sticks

The 7k is their top-end stick at 395g. It looks similar construction-wise to a V130. The curves are Amonte (old Koho crossover), Pronger (heel), Modano (looks like Modano, LOL) and Datsyuk (mid-toe). The 5k has Snake grip, which is basically a bunch of little ridges. Doesn't feel half-bad. A grip tapered shaft and the Snakegrip standard shaft are also available, as well as blades.

Helmets

Interesting lid. Very light. The adjustment system is easy to work and it has a dial on the back that makes the helmet narrower. Comes in 10 different combinations and there is also a custom program in which you can swap out the subshell colors to match your team. But at $150 w/o a cage?

Gloves

The 8k glove incorporates many of the Jofa glove features. Add a Pittards palm to it and EPP foam in the glove and split fingers and a floating cuff. Not bad but I think the Vector felt better.

The 6k is essentially the same glove, BUT pro-spec. YES...pro nylon and a nash palm. VERY NICE.

Protective

This is where it is at. This was supposed to be 2005 Jofa gear, but they branded it RBK by Jofa after the sale.

The 8k is based off the x800, however, the shoulders have been drastically reduced in size. They are rounded and shorter (don't look like footballs [not football pads, but FOOTBALLS]. Add a Playdry moisture-wicking liner to it and more protection in the back and kidneys. 7k is based off the x700, but with a removable stomach and back protection and smaller caps. Also with the liner. The 6k is based off the x500, but with the new caps and the belly/back pad.

All of the elbow pads are soft-capped. Same as last year, but with the moisture-wicking liner.

Shin pads are awesome. The 8k replaces the xx90 shinpad. They have now added two straps to the shinpad (which are removable if you want it to fit like a traditional Jofa pad) and has the Playdry liner. The 7k is comparable to the xx60. Same pad, add the straps and the liner. The 6k is a totally new design, however. Same features, however, the pad is vented. The thigh tongue is short, and it has a suspension system that allows the pad to sit closer to the leg. Very nice.

THe 8k pants are just sick. You need to see it to fully comprehend it to understand it. It is a pant, however, it is a girdle. The thighs are split and are fully adjustable, along with leg zippers. Very tough shell as well. VERY NICE.

Questions?

I was planning on getting new jofa elbows/shins anyway, I'm happy to see it's the same stuff, I could care less what name's on it.

And, I had my heart set on a RBK helmet (helmets are pretty much my main addiction) but not at 150

JR...do you know how much the top protective (shins,shoulder,elbows) is gonna run? Is it pretty close to the top of line old jofas?

I did not list prices because I don't want to give you a price and it being too low or too high. And I'm sure as hell not going to give you dealer price. :)

PDF added

OMG. I can't wait to try some of this stuff out. The pants look amazing. Mike Modano actually switching skates???!!!

Edited by seanmccann

The sticks don't really appeal to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it seems like their wood products look really low end. I like a good wood blade here and there and I just don't see myself using a RBK or Reebok.

The sticks don't really appeal to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it seems like their wood products look really low end. I like a good wood blade here and there and I just don't see myself using a RBK or Reebok.

A few things to know - RBK is top-end, Reebok is low-end.

The wood sticks are branded Reebok.

Another way to look at it is the NHL logo. If it is platinum, it's top-end. Orange, low-end.

I gotta say, I love the catalog layout... the color-coded schematics REALLY help you understand what each feature is and where it's located. Even a rookie pro shop employee will sound like an experienced vet when talking about RBK/Reebok equipment... and the equipment looks very good too!

Helmets

Interesting lid. Very light. The adjustment system is easy to work and it has a dial on the back that makes the helmet narrower. Comes in 10 different combinations and there is also a custom program in which you can swap out the subshell colors to match your team. But at $150 w/o a cage?

I don't know if it's worth $150, but it looks like it'll be a great helmet.

The shoulders and pants will probably be on my list of stuff to get this year, and I rarely buy new shoulders.

Somehow I had a feeling you would be able to swap out the subshell. I'm surprised that it is a custom option instead of a value-add or an in-store upsell item.

Will Jofa still be making equipment without the RBK/Reebok tag? I'm wondering if their helmets, the 690 in particular, is going to get phased out. I'm hoping not since that's the only helmet I've found to fit me well.

Will Jofa still be making equipment without the RBK/Reebok tag? I'm wondering if their helmets, the 690 in particular, is going to get phased out. I'm hoping not since that's the only helmet I've found to fit me well.

I may stock up on the closeout 690s, they've been popular here.

wondering if anybody has a weight on the RBK 8K skate ? I'm curious to see how it compares to all the other companys top skates.

wondering if anybody has a weight on the RBK 8K skate ? I'm curious to see how it compares to all the other companys top skates.

I believe JR said it was 825 grams.