Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pucks_putts

Anyone try the Powerfly holders yet?

11 hours ago, mojo122 said:

CCM bought STEP a few years ago.  I don't see a market for a new holder.  After all, how many players in the NHL wearing Trues are skating with True holders?

CCM is not changing the XS holder anytime soon. There is no need. 

On 8/27/2023 at 4:33 AM, mojo122 said:

CCM bought STEP a few years ago.  I don't see a market for a new holder.  After all, how many players in the NHL wearing Trues are skating with True holders?

More than before tbh.  

Has anyone experienced any issues fitting the new Powerfly holders into a Blackstone Tri Lie holder?  I just bought the new Hyperlite 2 skates - size 6.5 - 254 holder.  There does not seem to be enough room on my holder to enable the blade to sit where I can clamp it.  I knew from looking at it it could be an issue, but assumed there would be enough play.  I just wanted to see if others with manual sharpeners  had experienced this as well.  I would prefer to not constantly have to take the steel out.

11 hours ago, bfs9 said:

Has anyone experienced any issues fitting the new Powerfly holders into a Blackstone Tri Lie holder?  I just bought the new Hyperlite 2 skates - size 6.5 - 254 holder.  There does not seem to be enough room on my holder to enable the blade to sit where I can clamp it.  I knew from looking at it it could be an issue, but assumed there would be enough play.  I just wanted to see if others with manual sharpeners  had experienced this as well.  I would prefer to not constantly have to take the steel out.

Have to take the steel out and free hand sharpen it. Use a Blademaster or the CSW/Blackstone loose steel holder. 

The standard holder with the center vertical post does not work with the Powerfly holder. Best solution is to use the goalie skate holder which does not have the vertical post, such as the Blademaster SH3000 or the newer SH7000. If this holder is not available, removing the steel for sharpening is the other option. Back in the late 80's or early 90's, Easton had a blade holder design that had the same problem, but removing the steel required taking screws out. They discontinued that design after a very short life

On 8/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, VegasHockey said:

CCM is not changing the XS holder anytime soon. There is no need. 

Except their trigger release mechanism coming 

On 9/27/2023 at 10:04 AM, Sniper9 said:

Except their trigger release mechanism coming 

Trigger or the Pro version of the dial they have now? I know the latter is coming.

As a side note. I skate with a guy who broke an Edge holder last week. He brought them to PH to have the holder replaced. They told him that the Edge holders were no longer available and he needed to upgrade to the PowerFly holder and steel. This ending up costing him $260. I gotta say, that's pretty shitty of both Pure Hockey and Bauer. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Trigger or the Pro version of the dial they have now? I know the latter is coming.

CCM rep is saying a quick release version of the current mechanism, with forward compatible steel to go along

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stick9 said:

As a side note. I skate with a guy who broke an Edge holder last week. He brought them to PH to have the holder replaced. They told him that the Edge holders were no longer available and he needed to upgrade to the PowerFly holder and steel. This ending up costing him $260. I gotta say, that's pretty shitty of both Pure Hockey and Bauer. 

Maybe his size wasn't available at that store.  LS Edge holder is still on newer models below the X5 Pro level and is an option on customs for those who don't want the new holder.

13 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Maybe his size wasn't available at that store.  LS Edge holder is still on newer models below the X5 Pro level and is an option on customs for those who don't want the new holder.

He said the guy he spoke to at Pure said the edge holders were no longer being made and if wanted to keep using Edge holders he would need to scour the web for some in his size. Which I knew wasn't completely true. I guess that's why it upset me so much.

3 hours ago, jeffg said:

Haven’t seen any new holders being used in pre season games  

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/bauer-powerfly-holder.2940850/

wonder if there is an issue 

Could be logistics where the old steel doesn’t fit in the new holders or most are comfortable with the older holder setup. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

He said the guy he spoke to at Pure said the edge holders were no longer being made and if wanted to keep using Edge holders he would need to scour the web for some in his size. Which I knew wasn't completely true. I guess that's why it upset me so much.

Probably confusing that Pulse TI and LS Pulse are on the way out. 

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Geez, at $300 for holders and steel I’d just buy new skates at that point. 

Yeah, most ridiculous thing I've seen Bauer do in a while. May be they are trying to recoup for R and D.

4 hours ago, x-axis said:

Yeah, most ridiculous thing I've seen Bauer do in a while. May be they are trying to recoup for R and D.

How is it Bauer's fault that a retailer gave a customer bad information?  Time to get this thread back on topic.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

How is it Bauer's fault that a retailer gave a customer bad information?  Time to get this thread back on topic.

???? Try reading my whole post. I was talking about $300 for holders and steel

On 9/29/2023 at 9:56 AM, jeffg said:

Haven’t seen any new holders being used in pre season games  

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/bauer-powerfly-holder.2940850/

wonder if there is an issue 

There were a bunch of guys using them last season and I'm almost positive even more using them in the pre-season, on the Rangers I know Fox and Laffy had them last season and I'm almost positive I saw some training camp photos with them still using them.

3 minutes ago, x-axis said:

ti steel is 160 plus each fly holder (left and right) is 69.99. That equals 299.98 plus tax.

The poster said $260. Idk, I wouldn't waste money on Ti or coated steel. Doesn't do anything. Get a home sharpener instead. Problem solved. 

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket steel made for the Powerfly holder?  My daughter has been on Step Blacksteel with her LSE holders for her past two pairs of skates. While I was lucky enough to find them in 212 and 221, I’m having no such luck with 238’s. If I had, I would have scrapped the Powerfly for LSE. So with that said, she just got Vapor X5 Pro’s in size 4 with the Fly-Ti steel. Not exactly keen on Bauer steel and was looking to see if anyone has snuck in under the wire and began producing DLC Black steel to fit the Powerfly holders before Bauer found out?

Anything out there?  Bladetec or perhaps another brand?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Zaphod042 said:

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket steel made for the Powerfly holder?  My daughter has been on Step Blacksteel with her LSE holders for her past two pairs of skates. While I was lucky enough to find them in 212 and 221, I’m having no such luck with 238’s. If I had, I would have scrapped the Powerfly for LSE. So with that said, she just got Vapor X5 Pro’s in size 4 with the Fly-Ti steel. Not exactly keen on Bauer steel and was looking to see if anyone has snuck in under the wire and began producing DLC Black steel to fit the Powerfly holders before Bauer found out?

Anything out there?  Bladetec or perhaps another brand?

Thanks

Bladetech and Byonic. 

On 10/10/2023 at 10:12 PM, VegasHockey said:

Bladetech and Byonic. 

I just ordered some Vapor X5 Pros and need to order steel.  I've been using Bladetech in my old skates with the Lightspeed holder and started looking at Bladetech.  Apparently they now have one generic steel shape (different finishes available) that they claim "fits all skates with quick release holders."  I wonder if they have the "hyperbolic geometry" or if they somehow get around needing that to fit in the PowerFly holder?  Anyone have experience yet with PowerFly holders and Bladetech steel?

8 hours ago, gtoddh said:

I just ordered some Vapor X5 Pros and need to order steel.  I've been using Bladetech in my old skates with the Lightspeed holder and started looking at Bladetech.  Apparently they now have one generic steel shape (different finishes available) that they claim "fits all skates with quick release holders."  I wonder if they have the "hyperbolic geometry" or if they somehow get around needing that to fit in the PowerFly holder?  Anyone have experience yet with PowerFly holders and Bladetech steel?

The new Bladetech steel has the tapered center so it fits the new holder.