Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stick9

Elbow pads (most protective)

Looking for some input on what people find to be the most protective elbow pad available. 

I'm currently wearing some Ultra Tacks and while they are a decent pad, I find the point of my elbow sits too deep in the pocket. A spill or bump against the boards will bruise my elbow up pretty good. 

Also, any input on CCM's U+ Pro pads would be appreciated.

I'm using Warrior Alpha DX Pro pads from the 2020 or so model year( $125 or so back then ).  Mine look just like the ones currently available, but just a different color scheme.  It looks like the new model has an updated strap and fore arm guard, but other than that they look virtually identical.  These elbow pads are a 3 piece design with a sleeve that helps hold them in place and they fit me just about as good as i could have hoped for.  They fit me very fell ( i'm 6'3 230 lbs )  and I get almost no slip or movement while playing.  I've taken some bumps and falls as well and never has my elbow felt beat up or bruised.

I became a huge fan of the 3 piece design with some Warrior bona fide pads i got about 10-12 years ago.  They also fit me great, but fell apart over time ( poor stitching ).  After those, I then tried a pair of pro stock warrior elbow pads i grabbed about 5-6 years ago as they looked just like the bona fide model i had, also fit me very well and were 3 piece, but they were just too bulky.  Have them as my back ups now incase i ever cant find something i like after the current warriors.

Before settling on my current warriors, I tried on top of the line bauer supremes, vapors and the ccm super tacks models and all of them felt to ridged and cheap...... and honestly it felt like they lacked the elbow pocket protection i wanted......especially for the price tags  Tried the warriors i am currently in and they have been fantastic.  

Edited by noupf

The fit is what it will come down to.  Super/Ultra Tacks are the bloodline from the old Jofa stuff, some consider it the gold standard for protection and mobility, but if it doesn't fit your body right then it won't matter.  I have a pair of Super Tacks elbow pads and they're super protective and very mobile.  I also have some 3pc models like Jetspeed FT4 Pro and U+ CL (and had RVBZ's in the past which share the same DNA as Jetspeed, Quicklite, U+), these pads are lighter and more mobile but also have some good protection.  My one complaint is over the model generations they changed some of the fit, they usually ran kind of short in forearm protection until the Quicklite generation where the elbow cap got massive and forearm went to a normal length, with the Jetspeed models the elbow cap got very streamlined and forearm length remained a good length (also these tend to fit skinnier arms better... I usually have to shorten straps to get the fit right but didn't have to modify any straps on my Jetspeed FT4 Pros).  I have the U+ CL which is similar shape as the U+ Pro but with different strapping and less padding... the elbow cap on that might not be enough if your Tacks pads aren't enough, the Tacks elbow cap seems to have more protection/negative space between in donut area, than the U+ models I've had.

It sounds like you may have a more pointy elbow, so I have a feeling the CCM models may not offer enough protection... maybe look into some Bauer models.  I have the UltraSonic and the elbow cap is way pointier/goes out much farther, than any of my CCM pads (when I put my arms straight down the elbow pad corner juts out pretty far).  I've also noticed on most Bauer elbow pads that they share this extended pointy elbow design, this might offer you that extra bit of protection you're looking for.

• Like 2

@xstartxtodayx Dang, that was data dump. Thanks! I tried the FT4 pros when they came out. I didn't really care for the fit and they seemed short to me. I figure the FT6 is built upon that so I've kind of crossed that off my list. The new Tacks stuff is just an evolution of what I already have, so that's a no go. I tried the new Mach and M5 elbows yesterday. Neither really wowed me but I did notice you point about the cap design. I might try an UltraSonic. Bauer has them on closeout for $112. If I don't like them I can always return them or flip em Sideline.

@noupf It's funny you mention warrior. I have wanted to try their protective for so long now its not even funny. Too bad I never get to see them in a store.

10 minutes ago, stick9 said:

@xstartxtodayx Dang, that was data dump. Thanks! I tried the FT4 pros when they came out. I didn't really care for the fit and they seemed short to me. I figure the FT6 is built upon that so I've kind of crossed that off my list. The new Tacks stuff is just an evolution of what I already have, so that's a no go. I tried the new Mach and M5 elbows yesterday. Neither really wowed me but I did notice you point about the cap design. I might try an UltraSonic. Bauer has them on closeout for $112. If I don't like them I can always return them or flip em Sideline.

@noupf It's funny you mention warrior. I have wanted to try their protective for so long now its not even funny. Too bad I never get to see them in a store.

yea i tried the bauers and ccm's on in my local hockey shop, but again, was very UNimpressed with the cap design and general feel of their top of the line gear.  I actually found the warriors on clearance via one of the major online retailers, and figured what the heck, i already liked the warriors i had in the past.  When I go them and put them on, i knew immediately that they were of good quality and fitment.  Maybe one of two games worth of playing and they felt great.  Like @xstartxtodayx said though, sometimes it just comes down to body/arm shapes.  What might work for me, might not work for another guy and vice versa.

I've tried and bought so many elbow pads over the years, mainly b/c I have skinny arms and finding a pair that fits well/stays in place and is long enough is a challenge, and partly b/c I just always like trying new stuff 🤣  I have 4 pairs I'm rotating through right now, I have issues lol

I like the Mach, but more so for the CURV in the forearm while I like the ASV Pro for the D3O in the elbow.  The Bauer has their DCT but I feel D3O is a nicer material.

FT4 Pro and FT6 pro are the only pads that fit me and offer good protection. Everything else doesn't stay locked in place.

The MACH looks to have good protection, but the poor fit and overall design were dealbreakers for me. 

2 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

the poor fit and overall design were dealbreakers for me. 

Care to elaborate? Poor fit for you personally or just a poor design in general?

It just has to fit properly and feel comfortable.  I found that Warrior's DX (top model at the time) did not have quite the bulletproof protection that the Tacks had, but the way my arm sat in the AS1 pads exposed my inner elbow joint (where I personally need coverage).  I switched to the Bauer 2S Pro and they covered everything well at the expense of a little mobility.  Then I tried the Warrior and they were/are hands down the best compromise of coverage, protection, and mobility...FOR ME.  Recently we got the Machs in our shop and I really like the protection and mobility, but they're too bulky for me...same with the current Tacks protective.  I love and wear the AS1 shinnies...the AS-V is a big, bulky, plasticy thing...same with the bows...not for me.

Be very honest with yourself about your needs...try on many...eval the cost/benefit and make your choice. If you decide you don't like it...return it or hit Sideline Swap.  That's my rec. for ya.

Edited by Jbear

I got a bit of the pointy elbow syndrome going on. When my arm is bent, the point of my elbow can touch the exposed D30 in the elbow cup of my Ultra Tacks. Which is why I didn't just upgrade to the ASV's. After some suggestions here and much online research. I ended up grabbing some UltraSonics on closeout directly from Bauer. If they don't work out I can return them or flip em on sideline. If that happens. I'll be on the lookout for some Warriors or maybe I'll revisit the Mach's or M5 Pro's.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

The older white Warrior HD Pro are very protective. They have extended forearm protection. 

Currently I would personally look at the CCM Tacks ASV Pro. If I'm not mistaken they also have a "Pro Long" with extended forearm protection, but likely not retail.

I never once had the described elbow thing, so probably can't relate or make a good recommendation. These "jofa style" Warrior & CCM elbows are the most protective imo.

On 7/17/2023 at 2:59 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

I've tried and bought so many elbow pads over the years, mainly b/c I have skinny arms and finding a pair that fits well/stays in place and is long enough is a challenge, and partly b/c I just always like trying new stuff 🤣  I have 4 pairs I'm rotating through right now, I have issues lol

If you can find them, I like the last iteration of STX surgeon elbows. I have long skinny arms, like medium circumference and large length. These are the first elbows I’ve had in a while that feel like they fit me correctly.  I’ve had them I think going on 3 years and they are holding up fine. I thought the sleeve would be a deal breaker for me, but I don’t even notice it or think about it. 

On 7/18/2023 at 4:10 PM, 218hockey said:

Care to elaborate? Poor fit for you personally or just a poor design in general?

The metal screws they put in the Mach elbow pads is a poor judgement call IMO. Using steel in an item that will be constantly exposed to sweat is a horrible idea. They did this with the Mach shins too. I also didn't like the way they fit me, too bulky and didn't stay locked in place. The last Bauer elbow that I liked was the 2S Pro. 

• Like 3

Got the UltraSonics yesterday. Overall not bad. I really like how my elbow sits the cap vs my Tacks. More emphasis on padding in the Bauers.

Hopefully I don't need to test em. Elbow is still 20 shades green and yellow.

• Like 2

Late comment since you've acquired new elbows, but regarding the U+ Pro, had ordered and returned a pro stock version for my son, feedback was it felt stiffer and less mobile than the lower model Fit 09, in part due to the additional features (covered stretch zones, extra rubber in the inner sleeve) mentioned the respective IW youtube videos.  Considered keeping the U+ Pro for myself, but on me, they felt less comfortable than my low end 2-piece RBK Silver Series elbows.

On 7/21/2023 at 3:11 PM, stick9 said:

Got the UltraSonics yesterday. Overall not bad. I really like how my elbow sits the cap vs my Tacks. More emphasis on padding in the Bauers.

Hopefully I don't need to test em. Elbow is still 20 shades green and yellow.

After wearing them a few times. I'm kinda meh. I can and will continue to use them. They are protective, comfortable and look well made. They're kind of bulky though and I really don't care for the extended bicep guard. It feels like it's in the way when I strap them how I like. The quest continues. 

So month or so later. I ditched the Ultrasonics for some FT6's. Decent enough piece of gear. They seemed worth the cost. Only downer, they will not stay in place. Of course I keep using them and bang up the other elbow. I'm back to the US's for time being. I'd rather not use those long term. I don't care for the bulk.

Im open to buying one more set. Maybe go back to the Tacks or hunt down some Jofa/RBK gear.

2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Pricey and not sure how well it works, but what about wearing that Warroad base layer shirt where the sleeves pull up over the elbow pads?

Padlock Base Layer Shirt

Shock Doctor has had a sleeve lock short for the past 10 or so years, it works great and is a nice quality shirt at a fraction of the price of the warroad.  You can usually find them on sale, last one I bought was maybe $30 or so on sale:

https://www.shockdoctor.com/products/core-compression-hockey-shirt?variant=39863890870444

with that said, I switched back to short sleeves but might try the Shock Doctor again since I've been having some elbow pad movement issues on some pairs (my old U+ CL's never move but leave a lot to be desired protection wise lol, they're pretty short top/bottom).

Great call guys. I never thought of trying a shirt. Funny, I actually have one of the Shock Doctor shirts. I'll give it a try tomorrow night.

• Like 1