Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jeffg

Bauer Proto R Stick

My son shot the Proto on the ice last week. Said it actually does feel like cheating, just a crazy release. Felt like it might last about two games tops. Ha!

Edited by 218hockey
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jeffg said:

Has anyone use this or the CCM Ghost? thoughts on stick handling, catching passes, shooting & durability? aside from the very high price tag

FT Ghost is basically the FT7 Pro, changes from the FT6 Pro to FT7 Pro are mostly in the blade. Softened the blade, made some minor adjustments to the kick point, other minor changes too. If you like the FT6 Pro but wanted something a little more tuned, the FT Ghost is a good option.  

Proto is basically a updated version of the Nexus 2N Pro XL (extra light) version. They got rid of the 5 sided shaft, sticking with a more traditional Nexus shape. Updated the carbon, carbon layering, stiffened the blade, added boron, and a few other changes. Lots of updates and modifications to an already good stick. 

I personally prefer a softer blade, so the FT Ghost is more desirable to me. The Proto was very good though, but the stiff blade was not my personal favorite. If the Proto could be made with a slightly softer blade it would have been a very difficult time for me to decide between the two of forced. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 5:17 PM, 218hockey said:

My son shot the Proto on the ice last week. Said it actually does feel like cheating, just a crazy release. Felt like it might last about two games tops. Ha!

Son said same thing, didn’t like the Ghost. Proto-R was winner but he also enjoyed the Trigger 8 Pro, so maybe there is a preference toward the stiffer blades there based on what Vegas stated. 

My boy also loved the Proto. Came from an FT6 pro. Snapped a blade after 2 weeks.  Got 2 more. We’ll see how long they last.  I shot it as well and prefer the release compared to the low kick hyperlite I’ve been using. I play in a no clapper over 40 league now so my sticks last forever. I might just get a proto for myself. 

11 hours ago, Paluce said:

My boy also loved the Proto. Came from an FT6 pro. Snapped a blade after 2 weeks.  Got 2 more. We’ll see how long they last.  I shot it as well and prefer the release compared to the low kick hyperlite I’ve been using. I play in a no clapper over 40 league now so my sticks last forever. I might just get a proto for myself. 

Put in order for set of custom Protos for Christmas gift. He is moving from Hyperlite as well, it was his first low kick moving from Nexus  but the Proto brought him back to Mid Kick gang. Hope Blade durability isn’t issue… fingers crossed 🤞

14 hours ago, OCpuckhead11 said:

Put in order for set of custom Protos for Christmas gift. He is moving from Hyperlite as well, it was his first low kick moving from Nexus  but the Proto brought him back to Mid Kick gang. Hope Blade durability isn’t issue… fingers crossed 🤞

Durability has been very good with the Proto so far. Not nearly the same amount of breakage as the AGENT and Hyperlite2.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, GoalForFun said:

Any updates on Proto R durability?

Generally durability has been better than the Ag5nt for me. I am on my second Proto-R but the first broke because it got in the way of a howitzer of a clapper that would have broken any composite stick out there. 
really like this stick. Doesn’t shoot as hard as the FT6 PRO IMO but overall it’s been great including durability (for an elite end stick). 

On 1/15/2024 at 3:53 PM, lennyboi said:

Generally durability has been better than the Ag5nt for me. I am on my second Proto-R but the first broke because it got in the way of a howitzer of a clapper that would have broken any composite stick out there. 
really like this stick. Doesn’t shoot as hard as the FT6 PRO IMO but overall it’s been great including durability (for an elite end stick). 

Thanks for reply. How’s the blade holding up? And how would you say the stiffness compares to say a 1X Lite blade?

On 11/8/2023 at 12:47 AM, VegasHockey said:

FT Ghost is basically the FT7 Pro, changes from the FT6 Pro to FT7 Pro are mostly in the blade. Softened the blade, made some minor adjustments to the kick point, other minor changes too. If you like the FT6 Pro but wanted something a little more tuned, the FT Ghost is a good option.  

Proto is basically a updated version of the Nexus 2N Pro XL (extra light) version. They got rid of the 5 sided shaft, sticking with a more traditional Nexus shape. Updated the carbon, carbon layering, stiffened the blade, added boron, and a few other changes. Lots of updates and modifications to an already good stick. 

I personally prefer a softer blade, so the FT Ghost is more desirable to me. The Proto was very good though, but the stiff blade was not my personal favorite. If the Proto could be made with a slightly softer blade it would have been a very difficult time for me to decide between the two of forced. 

Is the FT Ghost available in P90TM?  The FT5 Pro blade is way too stiff and puck feel is terrible. I like the Jetspeed line (though the FT5 Pro feels much more like a Trigger) so I’d like something with the softer blade. I’ll wait for the FT7 but would buy a Ghost now if I could get that curve. 

Just now, psulion22 said:

Is the FT Ghost available in P90TM?  The FT5 Pro blade is way too stiff and puck feel is terrible. I like the Jetspeed line (though the FT5 Pro feels much more like a Trigger) so I’d like something with the softer blade. I’ll wait for the FT7 but would buy a Ghost now if I could get that curve. 

Not available at retail. 

1 minute ago, VegasHockey said:

Not available at retail. 

Can customs be ordered?  How does that program compare to myBauer?

On 1/17/2024 at 1:34 PM, GoalForFun said:

Thanks for reply. How’s the blade holding up? And how would you say the stiffness compares to say a 1X Lite blade?

Blade has been good. Just the usual cosmetic marks here and there but it’s holding up pretty good so far. IMO it feels like this Proto R blade is a bit stiffer than the 1X lite. 

• Like 1

Puck feel is great in my opinion - I’d say most Similar feel to the sync which makes sense. 
I actually just got a white out version and used it for the first time couple days ago. With the white paint it makes the stick a tad bit heavier but in a great way. With the stick being very well balanced to start - the extra weight gives it the perfect feel for me - would guess it to be around the 370-375g mark. Also the blade on the white out doesn’t have the usual textured finish (just smooth white paint) which adds to the already good puck feel in my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, lennyboi said:

Puck feel is great in my opinion - I’d say most Similar feel to the sync which makes sense. 
I actually just got a white out version and used it for the first time couple days ago. With the white paint it makes the stick a tad bit heavier but in a great way. With the stick being very well balanced to start - the extra weight gives it the perfect feel for me - would guess it to be around the 370-375g mark. Also the blade on the white out doesn’t have the usual textured finish (just smooth white paint) which adds to the already good puck feel in my opinion. 

But the blade is on basically the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the Sync, which has one of the most dampened and softest blades on the market so not sure how puck feel can be similar between it and the Sync.

36 minutes ago, Hills said:

But the blade is on basically the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the Sync, which has one of the most dampened and softest blades on the market so not sure how puck feel can be similar between it and the Sync.

Right. Ooops - I meant to say more similar feel to the Hyperlite than* to the sync. 

I just got my custom Kane Proto R and I love it, the puck feel is great but I like stiff blades and to each his own. However the toe has a small chip on it after ONE skate, I heard the blades wear out pretty quick on this thing through reviews I've watched so we'll see

9 hours ago, Dmitrakov said:

I just got my custom Kane Proto R and I love it, the puck feel is great but I like stiff blades and to each his own. However the toe has a small chip on it after ONE skate, I heard the blades wear out pretty quick on this thing through reviews I've watched so we'll see

Kane prostock Proto R, or retail Proto R with Kane p88 curve? 

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Kane prostock Proto R, or retail Proto R with Kane p88 curve? 

Its a Kane pro curve from MyBauer, definitely an adjustment from my usual P28/Malkin pro but it has its advantages

On 1/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, GoalForFun said:

Any updates on Proto R durability?

So my boy has broken 4 proto R’s in 3 months. All in the shaft about 6-10” above the blade.  He’s only 75lbs and breaking 40flex sticks like spaghetti.  

6 hours ago, Paluce said:

So my boy has broken 4 proto R’s in 3 months. All in the shaft about 6-10” above the blade.  He’s only 75lbs and breaking 40flex sticks like spaghetti.  

Thanks for the info, not sure it’ll apply to me, someone who weighs twice as much and will be using a 70 flex 😅