Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2010-2011 Gear Sightings

Some guys round off the square edges to make the transition smoother when they stickhandle from forehand to backhand.

Is that the same thing that's up with Kovalchuks sticks? Is that what he does to his blades?

Is that the same thing that's up with Kovalchuks sticks? Is that what he does to his blades?

The square edges are rounded off, it probably is.

Maybe these guys don't make the full switch because the new products are more gimmicks and marketing than actual performance gains...

Just my thoughts.

Zach

I don't know... One of the local shops in town has a boat load of pro stock sticks. I looked through all of them and found most to be heavy and unbalanced with old technology. They are dressed up to look like new sticks though. I personally find that sticks have come a long way for the better since the invention of the OPS. I'm sure some pros use basically retail sticks, I'm just surprised that more don't. They seem so unwilling to try new things. I think it's built into hockey culture.

I would counter to that, that you will find some pro's need/want to use a heavy duty stick for durability purposes. Also, on the technology comment, just because something has new tech. on it, does not make it better.

I don't really think it is a matter of the pro's not wanting to try new things, as much as it is the new things just aren't really worth trying.

While not a pro, I use the "newest" shaft from Bauer (tapered totalone), and would still take a TPS XN10 or Adrenaline Control any day. The XN10 would be something that I would have considered "better" than it's counterparts because of a different mix of materials.

Also worth noting, that pro CCM/RBK sticks are not even made in the same factory as the retail, so pro's are using something different than retail.

Finally, to cap all this off, a good example of a company realizing the product they have made is about as good as they are going to make it would the the current/past synergy line of sticks. Once they dropped the cnt from the SL's and just went back to the same old blade, they have only minorly tweaked the stick, adding weights here and there and changing the graphics. Why? Because it works, there is not much you can do to that stick to make it better, thus every 2 years they change the graphic's and change the gimmick.

It all comes back to what I have been saying, it is not that the pro's are unwilling to switch, it is that the new gear really is not much better than what has been out in the past. I imagine if you provide a pro with a stick that released faster, or shoot's harder (and could prove it), you would have more pro's in that stick. Instead you have sticks that claim to be more accurate, but if that were the case, don't you think there would be more pro's using the sticks?

Zach

Not sure if this belongs in this topic but people were talking about Pros using the Widow...I saw it today and it feels pretty nice, but that dagger tapper is loooonnnng and thin. I don't know how those guys aren't going to snap that thing like a twig. Very aggressive taper. If they had a 75 flex, I would have bought it but only comes in 85 or higher.

I hear ya DEATHTRON. I realize that some people are creatures of habit and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I realize that the Synergy line is a great example of this, but evolutionary change is always happening and much of it is improving the performance, durability, etc. of OPS's as well as skate and protective gear. I personally like the newest sticks, X:60, S19, etc. that have longer, thinner tapers. I find that the balance and puck feel is superior and therefore my stickhandling, passing, shooting is better when using them. The durability actually seems better to me on them as well as compared to say the Synergy SL's that I used to destroy in 3 weeks. I also much prefer the One95/Total One skates to say a Supreme 8000 or something more traditional. I feel much the same with protective gear. All of my stuff is top of the line (I know I'm a snob). It is much more comfortable, protective, mobile and breathable than the stuff I had 5-10 years ago. I'm psyched about the future except for the fact that I will eventually slow down.

I've never tried an XN10, so I can't comment on them. I've read many positive reviews of them, though. I guess in general I like new gear. Occasionally I think an older product is superior. For example I think my Vapor XXXX elbows are better than the X:60's as far as I can tell.

Totally off topic I guess. I suppose we should continue this discussion in another thread.

evolutionary change is always happening and much of it is improving the performance, durability, etc. of OPS's as well as skate and protective gear.

You'll have a tough time getting people to agree with your point on durability.

He has been in them since December

i thought i had been seeing them but wasnt till last nights game i caught a good still camera close up during a face-off. anyone else on the team sporting them too?

Off topic, but it looks like Lecavier is using a two piece. New CCM Cl graphics shaft, solid white blade.

It's his V10s repainted.

Hockey skate boots were all leather for practically 50 years until CCM made the marriage of ballistic nylon on the boot in Super Tacks around 1972. Hockey gloves were all leather forever until synthetics were used in the early 70s to reduce weight. Goalie equipment was stuck in the dark ages until John Brown and Brian Heaton took their innovations out of the basement and to the pros. I don't think the design teams at all the companies feel like they are stuck in a rut. Some companies already have products on point to deliver within 5 years. Just think of all the design, tooling, resourcing materials, factory time scheduling and so much more. Building a successful new piece of equipment multiplied across an entire line is a staggering proposition. However, to think that the hockey industry has peaked in terms of new ideas ..........I guess we will just have to wait and see........

interesting he was using se16s, he jumps around alot with sticks but never really saw se16s as an option

I think his ''S19s'' were SE16 repaints also.

Finally, to cap all this off, a good example of a company realizing the product they have made is about as good as they are going to make it would the the current/past synergy line of sticks. Once they dropped the cnt from the SL's and just went back to the same old blade, they have only minorly tweaked the stick, adding weights here and there and changing the graphics. Why? Because it works, there is not much you can do to that stick to make it better, thus every 2 years they change the graphic's and change the gimmick.

Cue one for Warrior. The Dolomite went how many years nearly stock? Over a dozen under 2 manufacturer names, 3+ stick names, paint jobs, and blade tweaks.

I thought maybe so too because he was seen using a s19 when it first came out and after a shift he'd look at it and then break it on purpose cause he didnt like it,and switch sticks. then like 2 months later he was seen using a "s19" full on instead of just switching sticks

I had one of his SE16 that was repainted as a S19. I bought one off ebay, it was a PM9 with with more toe on it. It was a nice pattern but the lie was pretty flat, and it was crazy stiff. At 235 it took all it had to flex it.

Got a "preview" at the Lets Play Hockey show this morning. Bauer has their typical booth and have tons of APX skates on hand to try on.

Several high school players in the tourney are wearing the skates as well.

Chara in Warrior gloves?

That's his locker, and those sure look like the signature Warrior linings.

I think the new Easton 4 rolls have a green liner as well.