Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ponder

What happened to titanium cages?

What ever happened to titanium cages? I remember itech made one a while back that was pricey but very light and pretty popular, is anyone still making them? If they're extinct, why? Just too expensive, or did they have structural/other issues?

What ever happened to titanium cages? I remember itech made one a while back that was pricey but very light and pretty popular, is anyone still making them? If they're extinct, why? Just too expensive, or did they have structural/other issues?

bauer didn't carry it over from the itech line

Local Sportcheks near me still have stock. $39.99CAD. Size M unfortunately for me.

wow thats cheap, is there a rule of what size cage to get? Or is it just mount it on your helmet trail and error?

wow thats cheap, is there a rule of what size cage to get? Or is it just mount it on your helmet trail and error?

Most of the cages will say fits size "X" or "x/z" helmet.

Most of the cages will say fits size "X" or "x/z" helmet.

My helmet (NBH 5500) is L and I figured I needed a L cage. Perhaps M will fit?

Kenneth: Burlington Mall and Appleby/Dundas Sportchek's both had two cages in stock as of last weekend for $39.99.

bauer didn't carry it over from the itech line

But why didn't they carry it over? Too expensive or structural/safety/other issues? I wear one and it's the lightest full-face protection I've ever owned. But it would be nice to know if there are safety issues.

But why didn't they carry it over? Too expensive or structural/safety/other issues? I wear one and it's the lightest full-face protection I've ever owned. But it would be nice to know if there are safety issues.

I have no idea. Great products get discontinued all the time

just a guess but I'd say price is the reason. those things were more expensive than the helmets at the time if I recall correctly. now Bauer has the 9500/9900 cages that may not be made of titanium but they're still super light and half the cost of those old Itech Titanium cages.

Cage sizes are separate than helmet.... for instance an old teammate was a small helmet large cage

I've got a large 9500 on my XL 5100 helmet; I bought it from someone whose medium helmet it wouldn't fit.

generally the size of the cage is more dependant on the width of the helmet and the length of your face than anything. If you got a Jay Leno or Bill Cower chin/jaw you may need a bigger cage than what would be standard on your helmet. but as long as the cage is wide enough to close with the helmet you use the key will be the length to get the chin cup in the correct location.

My theory is they where just too good. Things that don't break or rust only sell once so the profit margin is very low. I have two Titanium cages I bought for myself and my son and their still in excellent shape after two years of very intensive play. I don't think there is still anything on the market as light as this cage today so I'm glad I got them when I did and at less than half price. Ptobably one of the best buys I've made for a piece of hockey equipment.

I think the main problem is when they first came out they were $100, at least near me they were. For $50 it's fine but since the majority of cage sales are directed towards minor hockey kids a lot of parents are not going to buy them a $100 titanium cage when $30 ones sit next to it.

I think the main problem is when they first came out they were $100, at least near me they were. For $50 it's fine but since the majority of cage sales are directed towards minor hockey kids a lot of parents are not going to buy them a $100 titanium cage when $30 ones sit next to it.

Yeah, sounds like this is the #1 issue. Though I could see them doing well if sold again now, especially if they could get the price down under $100, like $80 or so (no idea if this is possible). I'm sure many companies will be copying the S19 helmet, and with super light helmets people are gonna want super light cages, could be a market for these things among the high end gear crowd.

In Canada, they were more like $180!

My helmet (NBH 5500) is L and I figured I needed a L cage. Perhaps M will fit?

Kenneth: Burlington Mall and Appleby/Dundas Sportchek's both had two cages in stock as of last weekend for $39.99.

thanks team i managed to find one in hamilton so any local boys check team's post :)

Itech Ti cage debuted at $150, not $100, further cementing the theory that it was too much in a class of its own.

thanks team i managed to find one in hamilton so any local boys check team's post :)

Check that, none left at Appelby/Dundas (bought one for myself and one for Fatwabbit). Spoke to the manager. Long after their release SC made a "special purchase" and offered them for 99cad. No takers. Reduced to 79cad. No takers. Further reduced to 39.99. Moving slowly. They're now cheaper than regular priced other adult cages SC stock.

I still have one:

6db826f9.jpg

They are both new, but I had the helmet first, then was able to snag the cage off ebay a few years later. I hang on to them for collectors purposes. Definitely a light setup.