Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this guy

Your Razor

So I've been using oil, soap, and brush to shave for about seven years now, but I've always used a mass market multi blade razor (currently Schick Hydro). After reading this thread I'm getting intersted in trying out old fashioned safety razor shaving. Is the somewhere you guys can recommend for me to read up some more on the techniques specific to safety razors and the dos and donts of using them?

Got the razor last week but have been working weird days and no days off except right now so here you go cause i told JR i ould show him.

They said because i posted my order and they missed it that day until the next morning decided to throw in a sampler or three other packs of blades and on the back of them wrote "our gift to you"

Pretty rad if you ask me since i thought i only was getting the one pack of Gillette blades

This has probably been the best shave i've ever had, at first my face was on fire but it quickly went away, i also noticed that my beard did not grow as fast as with the Mach 3 Turbo. Great feel.

P5051018.jpg

P5051020.jpg

P5051023.jpg

P5051046.jpg

P5051038.jpg

Sorry guys I have been away since asking the last question about creams and soaps. I finally got to try some Williams mug soap of all things, and I gotta say it works for me. At about two bucks, I cannot believe how nicely it works, and I sort of like the Murphy's Oil Soap smell it has! Will try some better soaps and creams soon.

What cream/preshave are you using? What about your brush?

Van Der Hagen Enterprises: Deluxe Shave Soap, 2.5 Oz bought this on a whim because.....well it was cheap and so far its alright, i really like the feel i gives my face during and after thes having but i know its not the best soap so when its over with i'll be upgrading to a better higher end soap. The main reason i bought it is cause it came with a boars hair brush, but that thing is really losing a lot of hair and fast so at least i got a bowl out of it hahahaha

i dont do much for preshave since i shave after my shower, my fiancee bought me some preshave oil but i hate the smell so i "dumped it"

Van Der Hagen Enterprises: Deluxe Shave Soap, 2.5 Oz bought this on a whim because.....well it was cheap and so far its alright, i really like the feel i gives my face during and after thes having but i know its not the best soap so when its over with i'll be upgrading to a better higher end soap. The main reason i bought it is cause it came with a boars hair brush, but that thing is really losing a lot of hair and fast so at least i got a bowl out of it hahahaha

i dont do much for preshave since i shave after my shower, my fiancee bought me some preshave oil but i hate the smell so i "dumped it"

Yea boars hair brushes are crap.

Get some proraso preshave. Feels good on your face. Even right out of the shower you should use something. Something on your face while you prep your lather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yea boars hair brushes are crap.

Get some proraso preshave. Feels good on your face. Even right out of the shower you should use something. Something on your face while you prep your lather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree, if the highlight of that buy at this point is a freaking bowl i have a problem. But hey it was a good way to start out right? I'm placing an order from west coast shaving soon there's some great stuff on there with good reviews so i gotta check some out.

West coast is who I buy from. And hey, there is something to be said about a good shaving bowl. It's an important piece of the equation!

Several months ago, I picked up a Merkur safety razor with their blades and have never looked back! I use William shaving soap and the shaves have never been more enjoyable and close. I will likely need to look at better soaps and a proper shaving bowl in the future.

Joe: Check out Proraso: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Proraso-Shave-Cream_p_59.html

No matter how many other creams I try, I keep coming back to this.

This is the bowl I have, makes a nice lather and lets you make wide circles while mixing up your lather: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Hand-Thrown-Lather-Bowl-Nutmeg-Brown_p_527.html

I'm looking to try this safety razor thing. Somewhat afraid of butchering my face though but still interested in trying it. At least getting shaving soap and such with the safety razor and worst case scenario, just ditch the safety razor and use my fusion in the event that I end up looking like Frankenstein. What do you guys think of this kit? Good start up kit? I'm just such a newbie that I'd appreciate all the help I can get with this.

http://www.fendrihan.com/born-shave-gift-save-p-605.html?cPath=116_7_64

Thanks

hamster,

I think this is a great set for starting off, and you need not worry about butchering up your face, it is a very simple skill to master. I have not used a Merkur, but they are great razors. I have found myself that my face does not enjoy the Astra blades that come with this set, but everyone is different. I would suggest buying a sample pack of blades, which is only a few bucks, and trying out several different brands. I prefer to use Derby and Wilkinson blades because of their comfort. The most important thing when starting out is to learn how to get a good lather and prep your face properly. It will make the shave much more comfortable and close. Good luck and let us know once the set arrives.

This guy has a ton of info, and has helped with several concepts I've misunderstood at the beginning...

+1 on the Westcoatshaving. I just put in a really big order on stuff, only thing i didnt buy was razors cause i have so many that came with my razor.

but i did not buy prorazo i actually bought this

http://www.westcoast...oap_p_1100.html

i really wanted to try this

http://www.westcoast...oap_p_1099.html

but i got told they dont have it in stock and asked if i wanted to join a waiting list and the site says the same so i bought the other one.

I look forward to it. I'm still pending on the brushes, i saw a seller from japan selling some really nice looking brushes, but i'm leaning towards either badger or getting a synthetic one.

I'm allergic to a lot of different animal hairs and last i need is to spend a ton of money on a brush and turn out to be allergic to badgers

+1 on the Westcoatshaving. I just put in a really big order on stuff, only thing i didnt buy was razors cause i have so many that came with my razor.

but i did not buy prorazo i actually bought this

http://www.westcoast...oap_p_1100.html

i really wanted to try this

http://www.westcoast...oap_p_1099.html

but i got told they dont have it in stock and asked if i wanted to join a waiting list and the site says the same so i bought the other one.

I look forward to it. I'm still pending on the brushes, i saw a seller from japan selling some really nice looking brushes, but i'm leaning towards either badger or getting a synthetic one.

I'm allergic to a lot of different animal hairs and last i need is to spend a ton of money on a brush and turn out to be allergic to badgers

A boar brush will be crap in comparison to badger, but for the price its worth seeing if you're allergic. Not that that guarantees you'll be okay with badger hair, but if boar turns out bad I probably would go straight to synthetic. You can probably get a boar hair brush for like $10.

After reading this topic, I took out the old mach3 turbo, had a new blad aswell, cleaned it up and took it for a spin, conclusion; less is acutally pretty good.

Also was quite patient and used somewhat proper technique, going against was also good, no cuts or bad burns.

Goodbye mach5....Now i'm gonna try some proraso and mabye a safety razor.

Thanks!

After reading this topic, I took out the old mach3 turbo, had a new blad aswell, cleaned it up and took it for a spin, conclusion; less is acutally pretty good.

Also was quite patient and used somewhat proper technique, going against was also good, no cuts or bad burns.

Goodbye mach5....Now i'm gonna try some proraso and mabye a safety razor.

Thanks!

Good luck! You can buy inexpensive vintage safety razors on ebay if you dont wanna shell out for a brand new merkur. And TBH, often times the vintage stuff is just as good, if not better!

The brush is what does it though... a properly prepped face with shaving cream/soap applied with a brush makes all the difference in the world!

Ran out of shaving soap so I picked up cream this time. WCS had a deal on Taylor Of Old Bond Avocado for $9.99, so I got that (and a tube of lavender for travel)

I've used their sensitive, rose and lavender creams before - I think it's a better product and better price than Proraso in a tube. One of their tubs lasts me about 3-4 months.

I just use proraso mainly for the eucalyptus cooling sensation. My favourite smelling soap was col conk's lime, but the glycerine soap doesnt lather well with hard water so I switched to cream.

Right, that is definitely nice. I had been using the aloe/green tea one and it's not the same. Just think that TOOB is a better value and gets a better lather than Proraso.