Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this guy

Your Razor

^ +1 for Proraso. Combine it with the Proraso pre-shave and you have a hell of a smooth shave. I keep trying other creams, and always keep coming back to Proraso.

I know most of you are talking about razor/creams. Hand shave kinda deals....but I just got a Wahl Peanut trimmer/clipper. Wow! mush easier than bulky big clippers I've used in the past. No way around the fact that my hair is so thick, I have to stop multiple times to clear clippings out of the blade head....but still, took about 1/2 the time is usually does.

Nivea sensitive skin shaving cream and Gillette fusion proglide, I always get my razors and shaving cream as parts of bonus packs - buy 2 head and shoulders shampoo's and get a free razor kind of deal, they do the trick so no complaints.

One can use clippers to shave. That's what I have to do. No matter what razor and/or cream I used, I get severe razor bumps that take days to heal. Clippers are easier on my skin. The only con (that I have encountered): I don't get as close of a shave. Regardless, clippers have been the best way for to minimize razor bumps.

One can use clippers to shave. That's what I have to do. No matter what razor and/or cream I used, I get severe razor bumps that take days to heal. Clippers are easier on my skin. The only con (that I have encountered): I don't get as close of a shave. Regardless, clippers have been the best way for to minimize razor bumps.

You only get razor bumps if you don't prepare your face correctly, or you use a multi-blade razor. Rather, there's a direct correlation between needing a multi-blade razor and not preparing your face correctly. The idea behind something like a Mach 3 is that its "less passes" over the same spot to avoid irritation. Thing is, if your face is prepared correctly, you can easiy make multiple passes (the correct way to shave) without irritation. A nice pre-shave lotion, mixed with a proper shaving cream or soap (if it comes out of a can, stay away) applied with a brush, and a nice sharp single-bladed razor is everything you need to keep the razor bumps away.

I use an electric razor due to several scars to my chin that would cut open with a blade shaver. It may take a good month for your face to get used to an electric shave, but it is definitely is worth it with the less time and water usage normally needed. I currently use a panasonic es-la 63 which cleans with liquid soap and water once or twice a month. You can also use shaving cream in the shower and get just as close as a shave as with a blade. That's my 2 centavos.

I use a parker 22r with Wilkinson Sword blades primarily. I also started doing straight blade restorations, so I have a 7 day set of those for when I have a little extra time in the morning. I mainly uses Proraso eucalyptus soap and finish off with witch hazel and neutrogena aftsershave lotion. Nothing beats a good shave in the morning!

I use a parker 22r with Wilkinson Sword blades primarily. I also started doing straight blade restorations, so I have a 7 day set of those for when I have a little extra time in the morning. I mainly uses Proraso eucalyptus soap and finish off with witch hazel and neutrogena aftsershave lotion. Nothing beats a good shave in the morning!

Probably a dumb question... does witch hazel burn when applied? The name alone makes it sound like it would...

Probably a dumb question... does witch hazel burn when applied? The name alone makes it sound like it would...

I use Thayers alcohol free rose petal witch hazel. It does not burn at all and has a tightening of the skin feel, as well as very soothing. It also contains Aloe vera. Some companies mix in alcohol and I remember reading that pure witch hazel contains alcohol, but I am not certain on that, so others may burn a bit.

You only get razor bumps if you don't prepare your face correctly, or you use a multi-blade razor. Rather, there's a direct correlation between needing a multi-blade razor and not preparing your face correctly. The idea behind something like a Mach 3 is that its "less passes" over the same spot to avoid irritation. Thing is, if your face is prepared correctly, you can easiy make multiple passes (the correct way to shave) without irritation. A nice pre-shave lotion, mixed with a proper shaving cream or soap (if it comes out of a can, stay away) applied with a brush, and a nice sharp single-bladed razor is everything you need to keep the razor bumps away.

Trust me, I have tried it all. I have extremely sensitive skin. We have to remember that God created us all differently. Clippers has been the easiest on my skin. Most people can multi-blade razors. I'm not one of them haha. After years of trying to figure out the 'technique' or the right 'tool' I was referred to clippers. Haven't gone back since. There was one product that seem to help somewhat when I did use razors: Bump Patrol. I don't if anyone has used but it was the most effective product I used.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____enUS427US427&aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=bump+patrol

i'm going to have to try a single blade razor soon, because i've used that mach 3 turbo because anything more gives me a suicidal feel. and i still get bumps, i have seen less bumps using the soap and brush i use now but it still kinda sucks especially since i shave before every hockey, so i'll get some irritation, but if i shave after a shower i'm ok, i just get a lot of ingrown hairs, and it kills me sometimes how many i get

The reason why you get bumps is a combination of curly hair and how the hair is cut. If it is cut at an angle, it rolls back in and re-enters the skin. What is good about double-edge razors in that aspect is that you are only cutting the hair once, not three times with the Mach 3. Not only that, but it's not as close. So as long as your shave every day with it, you should be fine. I get the odd bump here and there and it's always because I didn't shave that day.

The reason why you get bumps is a combination of curly hair and how the hair is cut. If it is cut at an angle, it rolls back in and re-enters the skin. What is good about double-edge razors in that aspect is that you are only cutting the hair once, not three times with the Mach 3. Not only that, but it's not as close. So as long as your shave every day with it, you should be fine. I get the odd bump here and there and it's always because I didn't shave that day.

+1 on ditching the mach 3. I did about 2 years ago and have never looked back

JR do you do a multi pass shave? I found that it helps a lot. One pass with the grain, then another with shorter strokes, and then a third pass across the grain. My skin can't handle going against the grain so that isn't an option.

+1 on ditching the mach 3. I did about 2 years ago and have never looked back

JR do you do a multi pass shave? I found that it helps a lot. One pass with the grain, then another with shorter strokes, and then a third pass across the grain. My skin can't handle going against the grain so that isn't an option.

I go with 3. With the grain (once I figured out that on my neck shaving UPWARDS is WITH the grain, things got a lot smoother), then kind of sideways to get everything that isn't quite exactly going in the same direction, and then once more against the grain. By the third pass, theres nearly nothing left, so it doesn't hurt by that point. Obviously applying warm proper shaving cream/soap with a brush before each pass. You REALLY have to map out your face when you start shaving properly so you know what parts grow in what direction.

Trust me, I have tried it all. I have extremely sensitive skin. We have to remember that God created us all differently. Clippers has been the easiest on my skin. Most people can multi-blade razors. I'm not one of them haha. After years of trying to figure out the 'technique' or the right 'tool' I was referred to clippers. Haven't gone back since. There was one product that seem to help somewhat when I did use razors: Bump Patrol. I don't if anyone has used but it was the most effective product I used.

https://www.google.c...8&q=bump+patrol

God didn't create me this way, genetics did. :) But you're right, we're all different. You mentioned multi-blade razors... those are often the reason for irritation and bumps. Try getting a proper shave at a barber - I can almost guarantee you they can get you super smooth with no irritation. That's because they prepare your face properly and use a single blade. If you have super sensitive skin, try a bit of shave oil under your steamed towel during prep. Softens everything up. Also you should be using ZERO pressure when you shave. Let the weight of the razor do all the work (if you're using plastic garbage razors, then there is no weight to them - another problem!)

I go with 3. With the grain (once I figured out that on my neck shaving UPWARDS is WITH the grain, things got a lot smoother), then kind of sideways to get everything that isn't quite exactly going in the same direction, and then once more against the grain. By the third pass, theres nearly nothing left, so it doesn't hurt by that point. Obviously applying warm proper shaving cream/soap with a brush before each pass. You REALLY have to map out your face when you start shaving properly so you know what parts grow in what direction.

God didn't create me this way, genetics did. :) But you're right, we're all different. You mentioned multi-blade razors... those are often the reason for irritation and bumps. Try getting a proper shave at a barber - I can almost guarantee you they can get you super smooth with no irritation. That's because they prepare your face properly and use a single blade. If you have super sensitive skin, try a bit of shave oil under your steamed towel during prep. Softens everything up. Also you should be using ZERO pressure when you shave. Let the weight of the razor do all the work (if you're using plastic garbage razors, then there is no weight to them - another problem!)

To each his own ha. I will check it out. Thanks.

After developing a severe case of razorburn from an electric razor(One of the Norelco 3headed deals), I tried out a Gillette Fusion Pro-glide Power + Neutrogena for Men Skin Clearing. Best choice I've made in a long time. Close shave, relatively little irritation compared to the electric.

I do have curly hair, the bumps suck man, because it feels like really bad pimples all the time. the problem when i shave to get a close feel i shave down then up so its smooth, but also sideways, some of my hair grows sideways its retarded, i have two cowlicks on my head and two more on my beard, i hate it.

After developing a severe case of razorburn from an electric razor(One of the Norelco 3headed deals), I tried out a Gillette Fusion Pro-glide Power + Neutrogena for Men Skin Clearing. Best choice I've made in a long time. Close shave, relatively little irritation compared to the electric.

Now just imagine how great it'd be if you ditched the gimmick razor :)