Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this guy

Your Razor

I shave my face and my head, and I've tried just about everything.

Used to use Mach 3, then Fusion, when I could get both cheap in large quantity.

Mach 3 was great but would dull pretty quickly. Fusion cartridges would last me a long time but I was prone to cutting myself with them.

The Gillettes just got too expensive so I tried an electric razor - one of the Phillips ones that can go in the shower with you. It was easier to use, but took longer to get a shave that wasn't as close and left my skin all roughed up.

Then I switched to Schick Hydro 3 which I like just fine.

Then, I found the DOLLAR SHAVE CLUB. I signed up for the middle-of-the-road plan.

Basically you pay a monthly fee (there are plans from $3ish to $9 a month for different razors) and they send them to you automatically each month.

It's cheaper, I never worry about running out of razors, I get a week out of each cartridge and switch. I'm happy.

For shaving cream I always use the yellow-can barbasol with lanolin. I like it OK, it's cheap, and I always have some to treat my hockey gloves when I need to.

Dollar Shave Club is legit; I use them for my head, where I use cheap razors.

I use the twin blade option, but I find they don't cut as close as a pivot Good News in that regard.

As for my face, I use a DE with Feather blades. Am using Proraso Red soap (sandalwood/shea butter) and absolutely love it; my water is too hard for conventional soaps.

Picked up the Gillette Fusion Proglide Styler about a month ago and so far no complaints. Works well, and comes with three different lengths to trim, can use it in the shower as well and haven't run into any problems so far. As far as shaving cream I use Edge (can't remember the company) but I get it at Costco for pretty cheap and you get 3 cans and they throw in an additional one for you too. Works out to be a pretty good deal and you don't have to worry about buying it for a little while which is good

I mainly use a Edwin Jagger DE razor, with either Feather or Astra blades. If I have a fair bit of time to shave I occasionally use my straight razor. The straight razor is just for fun, I don't use it nearly enough so I get a better shave with my double edge. I honestly love using DE razors, my beard is fairly strong so normal razors would often tug on the hairs, if I use a nice quality blade in my DE, such as a Feather, it glides right through. It is also much cheaper to shave with. As for soap, I have a lot of different types. The art of shaving cream and macca root cream from The Body Shop seem to be the best for me.

I also have a electronic beard trimmer that I sometimes use.

Be a man and buy a razor.

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180-Handled-Safety/dp/B000NL0T1G

Replacement Razors

http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Razor-Blades-Hi-stainless-Double/dp/B001G5FOLI/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_y

The Razors last like a month (in comparison, I used to use Mach 5, and they lasted me two shaves. I got a big wirebrush beard.) It's a much closer shave, and feels good.

Get a hot towel and put it on your face for a few mins. Use a boar hair brush and shaving soap, get a nice lather, paint it in your face, and go to town. One pass with the grain, the next against the grain. There's no other way to shave IMO.

I use a Schick Hydro 5 razor. Great results. I have too soft facial hair which I have problems cutting with the grain of my hair. This razor allows me to do it effortlessly and less cuts as well.

I shave my head and face with the Gillette Pro Glide Fusion. The sensation is remarkable, as it is battery operated and just takes everything off with such ease and grace, without cutting/nicking/irritating. I have a pretty thick scruff & hair, and sensitive skin, so I have had irritation problems my entire life with everything else. It is a bit pricey ($15 for the handle which is no big deal, but I had to pay $30 for a 6 pack of blades). Nothing beats it. I have tried numerous electric razors on face and head, as well as non battery operated standard razors, and nothing is like the feeling. Shaving cream and aftershave to me does not really matter; they all do the same essentially. Could very be that I have just not stumbled upon the most ideal lotions yet in these categories.

I dont shave. I have a beard that would rival that of Moses

YES!!!!!

I just got Truman from Harrys.com, works great and blades are cheap. I shave every weekday for work, and by 5pm I need to shave again. My genes are very close to a caveman's.

Laugh if you will...but I joined the Dollar Shave Club. I got the razors last night...shaved this morning. Great shave. The name is a little miss leading. The middle package 4x4 blade cartridges/month + shipping = just over $7 Cdn.

But still. Better than any shave I've had with a Mach 3 (or similar razor).

Edwin Jagger DE89L DE razor

Taylor of Old Bond Rose shaving cream

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades

Thayers Rose Witch Hazel

Pre de Provence Aftershave balm

After many years of experimentation this combo has gotten me the best results but I can only shave twice a week. I am cursed by absurdly strong, thick facial hair that curls just enough to fold back into the top of my soft girly skin :(

If that's the case, you need to shave everyday with the grain to prevent them from growing to a length that'll curl.

I'm with you on the ToOB Rose. Perhaps I'll pick up a tub, I loved that one.

If that's the case, you need to shave everyday with the grain to prevent them from growing to a length that'll curl.

I'm with you on the ToOB Rose. Perhaps I'll pick up a tub, I loved that one.

I go wtg with the real problem spots but xtg in the better spots (eg. the cheeks). Problem is that it seems like my facial hair comes out of the skin already almost parallel to my skin so only a tiny curve in the hair will put it under the surface of my skin. Have been trying a lot of different techniques to combat it over the years but I have only made a little progress. Thinking about getting the problem areas lasered. Sick of looking like a teenager when I walk into work.

I really love the ToOBS Jermyn Street Collection shave cream for sensitive SKIN. The smell is amazing. I ran out a while ago and don't need enough other products yet to justify the overseas shipping costs to get some more.

I keep trying new things and keep going back to original proraso cream.

Methosb: do you use an alum block after you shave? That may help.

do you use an alum block after you shave? That may help.

Not tried before. Will look into it.

It's an astringent, so the witch hazel you're using now should be fine... But it's certainly worth trying something else.